Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

At my wit's end with Check Engine Light- PU140 code

Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At my wit's end with Check Engine Light- PU140 code

p0140 = "Secondary Air Injection Pump" with my 2004 Coupe

I've searched this website high and low. I've replaced the blue check valve, I've replaced the ENTIRE PUMP. It's been in the shop 4 times now. Checked by 2 seperate mechanics (including a Chrysler dealership). All they do is check the pump to ensure it is working, clear the code, and say it's good. The check engine light comes back on after a day or 2 after clearing the code.

I have NO idea what to do next. The last mechanic literally told me "The pump works, there's nothing wrong with the Secondary Air Injection System. It has to be an electrical problem that is setting off the code."

The Chrysler dealership was also no help, saying "there's nothing wrong with it". Even when I INSISTED that the code will come back on they said that it wouldn't. And, IT DID COME BACK ON!

Here's the kicker. I have to sell the car, because we ordered a new Dodge Dart from the factory. I've had several people look at the car and will not buy because of the check engine light. The only code that comes up when you run a OBD Diagnostic computer is PU140. As many times as I explain that I've ran the car for a year and a half with the engine light on, and it's confirmed by 2 mechanics that there is literally nothing wrong with the pump, no one wants to buy it.

I'm about to rip the dash apart and pull the bulb for the check engine light. Please, if any of you have ANY ideas, PLEASE let me know.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: At my wit's end with Check Engine Light- PU140 code

Well, it probably has nothing to do with any air injection pump... or anything to do with any air, or injection, or pumps...

I got the code because of a bad RCM... if you can solder, give it a shot

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^ +1 Check that relay for pitting or arcing ..

Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pic of my RCM, specifically the 3 connectors that were pointed out in the RCM thread:

I don't have access to soldering equipment, but I did pull it about 8 months ago and it looked fine then.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Are the contacts on the other side of the board all clean and shiny? And the solder that corresponds to them..look good? Hobby shops and TV repair shops have competent people with a soldering iron.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you already have it out re-flow the solder anyway and eliminate 1 more possibility

Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM

Air pump relay.. pay close attention to it's contacts..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 05-17-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Picture fun and games..
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltChamberlin
Here is a pic of my RCM, specifically the 3 connectors that were pointed out in the RCM thread:

I don't have access to soldering equipment, but I did pull it about 8 months ago and it looked fine then.
You can't just "look it over" and assume all is well. You really need to get that puppy under some manification to see the cold solder joints. The hobby shops mentioned before will (should) have lighted magnifiers or just pick up a magnifing glass at a store. Get at least a 5X to realy give them a close up look.

Good luck!!

RL

Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Not to mention those solder joints in your picture are for the "Mystery no Start" symptoms.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Not to mention those solder joints in your picture are for the "Mystery no Start" symptoms.
Sorry, not sure what you were going for here but I will say that I had the check engine light with the 140 code with no other issues/starting problems.. and the RCM fixed it

Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM

The joints showing in his pic.. Mystery no Start connections to check.. Not where the air pump relay is soldered down.. And yes I am agreeing it very well could be the RCM causing the code.. just not the specific area on the board he's inspecting..

Clear as mud now?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 486 Likes on 337 Posts

Think you are referring to
P0410 = Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

My "check engine light" comes on every once in awhile and I simply reset it with my
UltraGauge OBDII Scan Tool
connected inside my car anyway.

Car runs fine and the air pump works perfectly so I don't really care about the light

Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by VALK

Mine "check engine light" comes on every once in awhile and I simply reset it with my UltraGauge OBDII Scan Tool
Car runs fine and the air pump works perfectly so I don't really care about the light

Just one of those little things huh.. LOL. My cats were "cored" by the previous owner and about once a month pops up the two codes on them. Figure she must be right on the edge, and have noticed lower quality gas will pop the cel in about a day after gassing up. Blue toothe elm adapter and Torque pro makes it short lived though.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

I've searched this website high and low. I've replaced the blue check valve, I've replaced the ENTIRE PUMP. It's been in the shop 4 times now. Checked by 2 seperate mechanics (including a Chrysler dealership). All they do is check the pump to ensure it is working, clear the code, and say it's good. The check engine light comes back on after a day or 2 after clearing the code.

I have NO idea what to do next. The last mechanic literally told me "The pump works, there's nothing wrong with the Secondary Air Injection System. It has to be an electrical problem that is setting off the code."

The Chrysler dealership was also no help, saying "there's nothing wrong with it". Even when I INSISTED that the code will come back on they said that it wouldn't. And, IT DID COME BACK ON!

Here's the kicker. I have to sell the car, because we ordered a new Dodge Dart from the factory. I've had several people look at the car and will not buy because of the check engine light. The only code that comes up when you run a OBD Diagnostic computer is PU140. As many times as I explain that I've ran the car for a year and a half with the engine light on, and it's confirmed by 2 mechanics that there is literally nothing wrong with the pump, no one wants to buy it.

I'm about to rip the dash apart and pull the bulb for the check engine light. Please, if any of you have ANY ideas, PLEASE let me know.
There is a wire that is a ground that is attached to the front of the air pump on the NA's, the SRT is different, remove the screw and clean the connection. This poor ground has caused problems like this before.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am assuming that you have checked all the hoses in the secondary air injection system for connections and cracks? A loose hose or cracked hose will throw the code.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by VALK

My "check engine light" comes on every once in awhile and I simply reset it with my
UltraGauge OBDII Scan Tool

My old N/A coupe had the same error code. The car ran fine and I never bothered to investigate further.