Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Alarm Won't Let Car Start

Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alarm Won't Let Car Start

2005 Service Manual > Electronic Control Modules - Service Information > Page 8E-99 > end of 1st paragraph. I was WAY to STRESSED to notice if this message appeared or not. Am assuming it would be displayed in same area (odometer) FSS single/double wrench/OIL HI/LOW advisories are set.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:08 PM

still no start..
and no DTC!!!
disconnecting battery doesnt work.. reprogramming key doesnt work..
When I put key in 'on', there's a sounds under the dash of a small but loud fan running. I presume it's the alarm that lost its voice (I never acutally heard it scream. ever.. so..)
please suggest more ideas?
The no DTC (as read with a cheap OBDII reader) is the most troubling.. I thought SKREEM and PCM and almost everything else would leave a code as they die).. So nothing thinks it's failed, yet..

Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Racecar,
Of all the inoperative key fob, SKREEM, start and die, security system won't disarm scenario's posted yours is the ONLY one with "there's a sounds under the dash of a small but loud fan running". Not certain but I don't believe the SKREEM module (behind instrument cluster) has a cooling fan. Have you investigated this mystery noise further ??

Old 01-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

This post has become so confusing that I cannot even guess what is going on. Put all the symptoms down logically and what is actually happening.
All this key resetting, new batteries etc is just adding to the confusion. As Mr M said earlier the batteries in the fob will not have any bearing on the car starting or not.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2005 Ragtop
Racecar,
Of all the inoperative key fob, SKREEM, start and die, security system won't disarm scenario's posted yours is the ONLY one with "there's a sounds under the dash of a small but loud fan running". Not certain but I don't believe the SKREEM module (behind instrument cluster) has a cooling fan. Have you investigated this mystery noise further ??
not since i posted 30 mins ago
Im guessing it's the failed siren.. lost its voice, but trying to scream.
goes on when I put the key to 'on'..
Im mostly troubled by no DTC's.. almost everything should throw a code, according to the service manual..

Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM

Dave,
See Racecars initial post # 30 > my response in post 31 > Racecars follow up response in post 34. This "and why no alarm?" in post # 37 also differs from the problem typically cited. Everyone who's experienced this issue has stated that manually unlocking the drivers door trips the SKREEM alarm. Also no one else has noted any humming/fan running noise from "under dash".
Tim

Old 01-18-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by racecar
not since i posted 30 mins ago
Im guessing it's the failed siren.. lost its voice, but trying to scream.
goes on when I put the key to 'on'..
Im mostly troubled by no DTC's.. almost everything should throw a code, according to the service manual..
If it is the siren making the noise then it will be louder outside the car, the siren is under the cowel just in front of the windshield.
Fans under the dash? The only one I can think of is the heater fan under the glovebox.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:15 PM

pretty sure it's not the fan.. i turned that off.. not sure if its louder outside.. i'll check..
but more importantly.. any ideas what to do next? battery reset didnt work, nor did the resyncing the key.. both worked before. and no DTC..
it makes no sense..

the only other thing that came to my mind.. I did fix the sticky key problem, which involved removal of the key ring.. But that was like 3 yrs ago, when i first got it.. (w. 8k miles!)

Old 01-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racecar
pretty sure it's not the fan.. i turned that off.. not sure if its louder outside.. i'll check..
but more importantly.. any ideas what to do next? battery reset didnt work, nor did the resyncing the key.. both worked before. and no DTC..
it makes no sense..

the only other thing that came to my mind.. I did fix the sticky key problem, which involved removal of the key ring.. But that was like 3 yrs ago, when i first got it.. (w. 8k miles!)
Just to add my two cents about the humming sound, here is my story. I am not asking for any help/advice (yet), but maybe what is happening to me can help racecar somehow:

2005 Roadster acquired 3 months ago, 80000 miles, everyday drive. I have noticed the EXACT same humming sound as described by racecar.
- only starts when turning the key to ON position.
- keeps going after the engine is started and running
- keeps going when driving.
- will go away after driving for about 5 minutes.
- no such sound for the rest of the day once the car has been driven at least once. In other words, sound present when starting and driving the car for the first time in the morning on the way to my work, no sound in the evening even though the car has been sitting on the parking lot for 8+ hours. Have yet to confirm if I have the sound EVERY morning. All I can tell for the moment is it happens often, but have not paid enough attention to guarantee it is there each single morning.

The sound is not the AC fan, and it definitely feels like it is coming from behind the dashboard. Before I knew anything about the Xfire, I thought it was the hydraulic pump for the top getting some pressure in the cylinders, only to realize later on that this pump was located in the trunk and only operates when the top is operated, so that cannot be it.
Now get this: last week, I got the whole "no unlocking with FOB + alarm turns ON when opening the door manually + no start issue on the parking lot". Old posts on this forum saved my *** as I just had to disconnect the - terminal of the battery, wait a minute, and voila, FOB disengaged the alarm and car could be started. Have not investigated the issue yet, could be many things (CLP/SSM, SKREEM, car battery etc.). Also, my alarm (the sounding part at least) never worked since I bought the car. I know for sure as I have triggered it in the past and all it does is the lights are blinking and I hear a relay click somewhere. I also do not have the lock/unlock chirp, but my understanding is this is normal if I do not have whatever newer module installed instead of the original.

So, what I am saying is I do NOT think the humming sound you hear is your alarm dying. Reason for that is I get this sound while unlocking the car normally and driving it. I would not if the alarm was trying to sound.
Does that mean the humming sound is related to a malfunction also related to you issue, I have no idea. I find it odd that we are the only ones who have noticed this sound and we both have similar alarm issues.
It would be interesting to know if other people hear that humming the first minutes the car is running, and if they ever had the alarm issue, at least you could rule out this sound as a reason for what is happening to you.

I will keep an hear on this sound and try to find out where it is coming from ...

Alex

Last edited by FrenchyAlex; 01-19-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by FrenchyAlex
Just to add my two cents about the humming sound, here is my story. I am not asking for any help/advice (yet), but maybe what is happening to me can help racecar somehow:

2005 Roadster acquired 3 months ago, 80000 miles, everyday drive. I have noticed the EXACT same humming sound as described by racecar.
- only starts when turning the key to ON position.
- keeps going after the engine is started and running
- keeps going when driving.
- will go away after driving for about 5 minutes.
The sound is not the AC fan, and it definitely feels like it is coming from behind the dashboard. Before I knew anything about the Xfire, I thought it was the hydraulic pump for the top getting some pressure in the cylinders, only to realize later on that this pump was located in the trunk and only operates when the top is operated, so that cannot be it.
Now get this: last week, I got the whole "no unlocking with FOB + alarm turns ON when opening the door manually + no start issue on the parking lot". Old posts on this forum saved my *** as I just had to disconnect the - terminal of the battery, wait a minute, and voila, FOB disengaged the alarm and car could be started. Have not investigated the issue yet, could be many things (CLP/SSM, SKREEM, car battery etc.). Also, my alarm (the sounding part at least) never worked since I bought the car. I know for sure as I have triggered it in the past and all it does is the lights are blinking and I hear a relay click somewhere. I also do not have the lock/unlock chirp, but my understanding is this is normal if I do not have whatever newer module installed instead of the original.

So, what I am saying is I do NOT think the humming sound you hear is your alarm dying. Reason for that is I get this sound while unlocking the car normally and driving it. I would not if the alarm was trying to sound.
Does that mean the humming sound is related to a malfunction also related to you issue, I have no idea. I find it odd that we are the only ones who have noticed this sound and we both have similar alarm issues.
It would be interesting to know if other people hear that humming the first minutes the car is running, and if they ever had the alarm issue, at least you could rule out this sound as a reason for what is happening to you.

I will keep an hear on this sound and try to find out where it is coming from ...

Alex
Can you hear the hum under the hood?

Old 01-19-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Good question, that was my next step. Never cared to check as I had always assumed this was normal, until I read this thread.
I will pop the hood tomorrow morning if/when I hear it and try to locate where it is coming from (I have just edited my previous post to add the fact that the sound was only there in the morning after the car had a good night sleep).

Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question, that was my next step. Never cared to check as I had always assumed this was normal, until I read this thread.
I will pop the hood tomorrow morning if/when I hear it and try to locate where it is coming from (I have just edited my previous post to add the fact that the sound was only there in the morning after the car had a good night sleep).
Make sure your not hearing the secondary air injection pump running on start up. It sounds like it's behind the dash , but you can usually tell it's coming from the passengers side.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Make sure your not hearing the secondary air injection pump running on start up. It sounds like it's behind the dash , but you can usually tell it's coming from the passengers side.
That would make absolute sense! If my understanding of the purpose of the secondary air injection pump is correct, then it is normal that I hear it in the morning when the motor is still cold and the combustion is still not good enough to have low emissions, then it goes away after a few minutes because the motor is warm. I don't hear it in the evening leaving from work because the engine is not that cold, given that I live in South Florida hehehe.
I will definitely confirm tomorrow morning.
Am surprised people are saying this humming sound racecar is hearing should not even exist.
Thanks for your input!

Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 PM

Am surprised people are saying this humming sound racecar is hearing should not even exist.
It seems ( from my understanding ), that he is hearing that humming noise, without the car running...IDK

Old 01-19-2018, 10:55 PM

It seems ( from my understanding ), that he is hearing that humming noise, without the car running...IDK
Right! It should only be running when engine is running, not when the key is on the "ON" position. I think I get the same thing, that the pump runs when the key is ON but engine is not running. Will double check tomorrow morning. Not that I am worried about it, but it is always nice to understand how these things work ;-)

Old 01-20-2018, 08:57 AM

Passenger side? If I recall the pump is in the centre of an NA and on the driver side in an SRT.
Maybe my memory fails me?
List what spins in the car using the battery power.
1, Radiator fan.
2, Fan that cools RCM etc.
3, Heater/AC fan.
4, Secondary air pump.
5, Coolant circulation pump.
6, Fuel pump.
7, CD player.
8, Anything else?

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-20-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Sure enough, got the humming this morning. Key to "ON" position is enough, engine not running. Popped the hood. Noise is coming from the RCM box. There is some kind of circular 1" exhaust in the box and I can feel air flow towards the inside of the box. Pics below. I guess this is just the RCM/ECU cooling fan then?

Last edited by FrenchyAlex; 01-20-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Yes, it is. Better clean that ground cable or your looking at all kinds of strange symptoms going on to happen.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:44 AM

Yes, it is. Better clean that ground cable or your looking at all kinds of strange symptoms going on to happen.
I thought it was a science experiment of some kind.
If that is corrosion then there is a leakage of fumes around the battery post.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-20-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 PM

I thought it was a science experiment of some kind.
If that is corrosion then there is a leakage of fumes around the battery post.
It looks worse on the picture than in real life because of the flash. When I saw my pic, I considered Photoshoping it before posting, that's how ashamed of myself I was...
There was a lot of that white/yellow foam on the terminal, but not around. Then I had to remove the terminal to reset the whole unlock/no start issue, that's when all the residue spilled. I guess it then absorbed the humidity and that's how it looks now.

I guess cleaning the terminal and cable won't be enough and everyone here will tell me to buy a new battery (this one is from mid 2016 according to the label, and supposedly has a 6 years life).

Quick Reply: Alarm Won't Let Car Start