Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Production number concerns

Old 11-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Production number concerns

I've been lurking around this forum for a long time reading and learning well before I ordered my car, but never posted. Unfortunatly, today I'm a little concerned and hoping that someone can help. My car was ordered on August 12 and I finally received a call last Monday that my car was scheduled to arrive Thanksgiving day. Of course, it was expected Friday because of the holiday. Anyway, today, after still not being delivered I called the dealership and made them make a few calls to see what the problem was. I was called back and told that according to the district manager, or whoever the dealership talked with, that the invoice and arrival date of my car was a mistake and it was never shipped last Monday. If I was lucky, it would be put on a truck today and maybe it would arrive at the dealership Friday. The only explanation I recieved from the dealership was that the problem must have been due to Thanksgiving, which doesn't make much sense to me since my car should have been on a truck to the dealership way before the holiday. Also, while my car was being produced, I received some conflicting info about the production status and completion date from my dealer and the Chrysler toll free number.

Now, my concern is that there is/was a problem with my car that delayed the production and shipping. Getting fed up with the wait, I was searching the inventory at other dealerships in my area just to see what they had. While looking I happened to notice that my VIN is lower than the 10 - 15 cars that are already on dealer lots. The last 5 digits of my VIN are 34785. The VINs of the cars in inventory range from 39000 to over 46000. If I read previous post correctly, my car should have been produced and shipped way before those others. I'm worried that I may be purchasing a vehicle that already has problems. What upsets me the most is that if I approach anyone at Chrysler or the dealership about this I'll get some excuse due to lack of knowledge, concern, or greed. Fortunately, many users on this forum have a lot more info about the cars. Hopefully, some of you can give me a little advice as to if this is a problem or not.

If it helps I ordered a limited roadster and was comparing it to the VINS of other limited roadsters.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Default Re: Production number concerns

Originally Posted by mtnxfire
I've been lurking around this forum for a long time reading and learning well before I ordered my car, but never posted. Unfortunatly, today I'm a little concerned and hoping that someone can help. My car was ordered on August 12 and I finally received a call last Monday that my car was scheduled to arrive Thanksgiving day. Of course, it was expected Friday because of the holiday. Anyway, today, after still not being delivered I called the dealership and made them make a few calls to see what the problem was. I was called back and told that according to the district manager, or whoever the dealership talked with, that the invoice and arrival date of my car was a mistake and it was never shipped last Monday. If I was lucky, it would be put on a truck today and maybe it would arrive at the dealership Friday. The only explanation I recieved from the dealership was that the problem must have been due to Thanksgiving, which doesn't make much sense to me since my car should have been on a truck to the dealership way before the holiday. Also, while my car was being produced, I received some conflicting info about the production status and completion date from my dealer and the Chrysler toll free number.

Now, my concern is that there is/was a problem with my car that delayed the production and shipping. Getting fed up with the wait, I was searching the inventory at other dealerships in my area just to see what they had. While looking I happened to notice that my VIN is lower than the 10 - 15 cars that are already on dealer lots. The last 5 digits of my VIN are 34785. The VINs of the cars in inventory range from 39000 to over 46000. If I read previous post correctly, my car should have been produced and shipped way before those others. I'm worried that I may be purchasing a vehicle that already has problems. What upsets me the most is that if I approach anyone at Chrysler or the dealership about this I'll get some excuse due to lack of knowledge, concern, or greed. Fortunately, many users on this forum have a lot more info about the cars. Hopefully, some of you can give me a little advice as to if this is a problem or not.

If it helps I ordered a limited roadster and was comparing it to the VINS of other limited roadsters.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
No need to compare to other Limited Roadsters as the serial numbers are produced consecutively regardless of model.

Sounds like your car has been sitting in some compound somewhere waiting for the paperwork to be processed. I think someone has screwed up the paperwork on this and it didn't get processed to trigger the transportation/delivery part of the sale. I wouldn't necessarily blame the dealer unless they are not being cooperative. If the paperwork fell through the cracks, it probably be difficult for them to find out what has occurred.

It's unfortunate but it happens sometimes. In case of the worse case scenerio like the Xfire fell off a truck somewhere and now and it needed repair, make sure that you go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. If you see anything that is not right for a brand new vehicle, you don't have to take the car. I hope that's not the case.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:34 PM

I know your pain. Calling the Chrysler toll free number for a status is a joke. Once you get through get a "status" and then you can call them back up and get a completely different status.
I ordered my roadster on August 27, 2004 and received it October 28, 2004. Tracked it all 10 days crossing the ocean until it got to Baltimore. Took over a week to clear there and get on a truck coming down to Virginia. Dealer didn't get invoice until car was in Baltimore for about 3 days. My last 5 of my VIN are 44612, so yours should already be in your hands and getting miles but on her. Don't know what to suggest, hope you get it soon, believe me, it is worth the wait. Good Luck

Old 11-30-2004, 04:20 PM

There is something strange with a build no. that low for a car that left the factory in November . Mine was shipped from the factory on August 30th and I am 41236. I know of 2 or 3 others that left the factory just after mine and they are in the 42's and 43's. Skillywee's is 44612. Did the dealer give you that number from information received while it was still in the factory?
As for shipping, mine arrived in Baltimore on a Thursday and it was delivered to the dealer in MA on the following Wednesday. On the Friday, I knew it would arrive on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. I had good and accurate communication all the way thru the process except from the factory to Baltimore (the hurricanes caused delays in leaving Germany). Either I have a good dealer or I was terribly lucky. I have to believe it's my dealer because after three new Chryslers in four years, I don't have one complaint about sales, service or communications. I believe he has a good relationship with the district manager too, which I'm sure helps.
Good luck in getting your car soon. Look it over VERRRY carefully. I'd be nervous about that out of sequence build number.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:19 PM

For anyone interested, I went to the dealership today to discuss my concerns. The entire thing was confusing. From the info the salesman looked up, cars ordered and shipped before mine had higher VINs. Roadsters ordered in June and July had already arrived at dealers and were assigned higher VINs. I really became worried when he used the computer to double check my VIN. Surprisingly, it changed from the number I had. Now to be honest, I never received a VIN from the dealership...I got a VIN from the Chrysler number and never asked the dealership to double check it. I didn't feel the need to since the updates I received from my salesman were the same as the dates I received from the 1-800 number. Even though the salesman tried to convince me my concern was unnecessary because a phone rep just messed up and gave me the wrong VIN. He could not explain, though, how each time I called for a status update the phone rep asked for the VIN and color/type of car and not once of the 4 or so times I called did anyone say that that VIN did not correspond to a blue roadster. Maybe I over reacted, but at that point I apologized and said I didn't feel right purchasing the car. The VIN mixup was just too scary. The salesman and I went to talk with the son of the owner of the dealership who, after shaking my hand and hearing my concern, closed the door behind me and began to chew me out even mentioning that I was one of the biggest pains he has ever had to deal with and that my concerns were stupid. Along with that he refused to refund my deposit which I didn't feel the need to agrue about because in Louisiana he legally can not hold my deposit if he has not produced the car and, as of this date, they still aren't sure when they will get it. I'm sure he knows that, but just wanted to try to make my life hell. I immediatly called my credit card company who said just deduct the amount from my next bill and they would get the money back. Before leaving the dealership the finance manager recognized me and stopped to talk. Immediately after greeting me, the owner of the dealership rudely told him not to talk to me. The funniest thing is that the son of the owner informed me before I left that while they wouldn't refund the deposit, they would still put it toward the agreed upon price if I wanted to purchase the car when, and in my opinion if, it came in. The bottom line is I believe something happened and I now have a newer, higher VIN than originally issued. I can't think of any other reason for the number change and the 4 plus month wait. So much for 5 star treatment. By the way, this was at Ralph Sellers in Gonzales, Louisiana. I guess along with the 5 2004 coupes they will now have a roadster rotting away on the lot that will never sell.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I agree with them ,SORRY.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 AM

MtnXfire: You did good by dropping them. Don't know if it would do any good, but you might want to let Chrysler HQ know about that also. I picked up my XF a little over a month ago, but still haven't sent in the survey form I received from Chrysler about how everything went with the purchase. The dealership really seems to be concerned about it. I hope that you get the car you want, it is worth the wait.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 AM

Dan, while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm just curious what you agree with them about. While maybe, like I said, the VIN error may be nothing it just seems like a problem for me. A problem that I feel they didn't/couldn't find a real soultion for. I find it odd that the "false" VIN status just happened to correspond to the same type of car I ordered and generally went along with the production schedule the dealership quoted me. For example, both had estimated ship dates from Germany of Oct. 19. Both dealer and chrysler informed me that the date had been pushed back to the end of the month. What is the chance of the production of those 2 seperate cars/vins being that similar. I was also annoyed that while being yelled at it was obvious they didn't want to discuss the issue of conflicting vins since they kept making comments about me probably buying the car cheaper at another dealer and not really discussing the multiple vin issue. I already waited almost 4 months and never discussed buying/prices with other dealerships. Do you really think I didn't want to wait another week that they were now saying it would take. The bottom line is that with the way I was treated by the owner and son of the dealership I really don't care if I later discover that I was completely wrong and they were 100% correct. I will never purchase anything from a place that treats me like that. Things may have been completely different if the manager's son would have treated me with respect when we first met instead of yelling at me. Hopefully, the doubt in my mind about the VIN issus could have been solved. But, that didn't happen. Now I'll probably look around and see what other dealers have and probably pick one up off a lot.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Thumbs up Re: Production number concerns

Originally Posted by mtnxfire
Dan, while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm just curious what you agree with them about. While maybe, like I said, the VIN error may be nothing it just seems like a problem for me. A problem that I feel they didn't/couldn't find a real soultion for. I find it odd that the "false" VIN status just happened to correspond to the same type of car I ordered and generally went along with the production schedule the dealership quoted me. For example, both had estimated ship dates from Germany of Oct. 19. Both dealer and chrysler informed me that the date had been pushed back to the end of the month. What is the chance of the production of those 2 seperate cars/vins being that similar. I was also annoyed that while being yelled at it was obvious they didn't want to discuss the issue of conflicting vins since they kept making comments about me probably buying the car cheaper at another dealer and not really discussing the multiple vin issue. I already waited almost 4 months and never discussed buying/prices with other dealerships. Do you really think I didn't want to wait another week that they were now saying it would take. The bottom line is that with the way I was treated by the owner and son of the dealership I really don't care if I later discover that I was completely wrong and they were 100% correct. I will never purchase anything from a place that treats me like that. Things may have been completely different if the manager's son would have treated me with respect when we first met instead of yelling at me. Hopefully, the doubt in my mind about the VIN issus could have been solved. But, that didn't happen. Now I'll probably look around and see what other dealers have and probably pick one up off a lot.
I agree with you. No matter what the problem is or what misunderstanding there was, no dealer should treat a customer the way you described. You are right to walk away from the deal and I hope the credit card company is correct in what they tell you.
You know that I think it is far better to buy a car off the lot or have a dealer look for a car and do a trade than to order one and wait til doomsday. With all the cars that are in inventory these days, you can surely find one that meets your satisfaction. Also, I believe that you can probably make a better deal on an inventoried car, depending on how long the car has been at the dealer, because they are paying interest and other costs to inventory the car and would like to unload it as soon as possible.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find the right car!

Old 12-02-2004, 10:13 AM

Amen. With the market like it is, they should be shinning your butt with his shirt-sleeve before kissing it. There are plenty of other people out there who would be more than happy to sell you a crossfire. Dealers with attitudes like that end up 'found out' and quickly loose business.

I recently had to refuse delivery on a Truck (1500 Hemi) because it came pre-rusted. Salesman tried to tell me that's normal for any 04 vechile comming out of Michigan. Sorry, buddy. I'm from Michigan, that BS. And, I ain't paying that much for any vechile that the wheel wells and drive train are already rusting before I get it.

He was miffed, but didn't push it. I could tell he was PO'ed but he kept it all very civil.

Three days later (just before month-end) he called and tried to deal with me on it. Sorry, not on THAT truck. On a different one, sure. Ended up with a different 1500, they dropped to 6K below MSRP, made the first two payments for me, free tires for life, Rhino lining, and random mopar goo-gah. So, in the end, we both still won. Had he not been as nice, all the free tires and bono payments in the world wouldn't make me take it, or feel the least bit bad about leaving them with the vechile.

Never feel like you have to take the vechile. If it isn't what you wanted/expected, walk. They cost too much and there is far too much Supply for you to ever settle.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:08 PM

DUHHHH CALL ME STUPID....BUT I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THESE VIN NUMBERS
SO MY VIN NUMBER IS 007779 SO DOES THAT MEAN THAT MY CAR WAS THE 7779 04 XFIRE MADE?
DO THE NUMBERS START OVER EACH YEAR..SUCH AS 0001 FOR 05'S?
And another question?

How many Coupes were made in 2004? Roadsters 04?
Is there a projection of how many will be made in 05?

I have tried finding these answers but figured it would be easier to just ask...

Old 12-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Forum Regular

You're right about your car being number 7779 built. The highest VIN for 04 was 025422, all of which were coupes. There were no roadsters in 04. The build numbers didn't start over in 05, so the first 05 was 025423. The highest VIN in Chrysler's recall system is 052490, so it looks like there will be more 05's than there were 04's.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:19 PM

I figured I'd end my story about my car. After calling my house 3 times the dealership reached me on my cell phone. I only answered because I didn't recognize the number. The new car manager, who I've never spoken to before, informed me that my car had arrived and wanted me to stop by and look at it. He followed that by telling me that I had nothing to worry about because the VIN was the original VIN I had. In other words, I had been yelled at and harrased over the dealers mistake. And still no explanation as to why my VIN was out of order. Of course I mentioned after the way I was treated I had no desire to see or buy the car. He then informed me that Ralph, the owner would like to talk to me. Of course I said that wasn't going to happen and told him to give Ralph the message that I know he can't legally hold my deposit and I am expecting it back. With that I thanked him and hung up. Unfortunatly, I have a feeling I'll have at least another call from them about considering the car.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:54 AM

Stay firm; that owner needs to be taught a lesson about good customer relations........................
and manners.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Banned

It seems bad from your side but, I know this is a 2 sided agruement. If your order is there GO in and check it out take it for a test drive pick it apart for detailing and then say I've decided to purchase a car some where else thanks anyway !

As for them treating you BADly well,sometimes a customer thinks they're right over a # and are driving people NUTS over a # that is not the DEALERs JOB either way.because you made them NUTS is maybe because you did ! Sorry if the truth hurts but we here are only
hearing YOUR side of a # story that really has very little to do with the car .

As for the owner or son or whoever blew up from your # issue driving him Nuts well he has his own stress points as we all do and maybe his life and problems are BIGGER than A VIN ##.He's only human and etc.Get over it ! Life is to short.

Last edited by Dan Root; 12-03-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
It seems bad from your side but, I know this is a 2 sided agruement. If your order is there GO in and check it out take it for a test drive pick it apart for detailing and then say I've decided to purchase a car some where else thanks anyway !

As for them treating you BADly well,sometimes a customer thinks they're right over a # and are driving people NUTS over a # that is not the DEALERs JOB either way.because you made them NUTS is maybe because you did ! Sorry if the truth hurts but we here are only
hearing YOUR side of a # story that really has very little to do with the car .

As for the owner or son or whoever blew up from your # issue driving him Nuts well he has his own stress points as we all do and maybe his life and problems are BIGGER than A VIN ##.He's only human and etc.Get over it ! Life is to short.
Dan, you obviously haven't been involved in providing customer service in the retail field.
There is a saying that the "Customer is always right". This is just a saying but it symbolizes a policy that the customer should receive satisfaction in every way from the beginniing of the transaction to the end and afterwards. I don't care what the dealers problems may have been, there is no excuse for them acting the way they did. We have to take MTNXFIRE explanation of the dealers response at face value and true. In this case, the customer was waiting for his Xfire that was long overdue, found out on his own that the VIN # was such that indicated the vehicle should have been delivered before other deliveries with later VIN #s. He had every right to enquire and make a point of querying this. He's paying good money for something that includes "service".
As it turns out, he was right as far as the serial # issue went and the dealership should go overboard with an apology. However, do you really think they deserve the benefit of this sale after treating him with what I would call "disrespect".

I don't think so. MTNXFIRE, don't play around with them unless you really think your deposit is at risk. Go somewhere else for proper service.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:44 PM

mbepic and mtnxfire, I agree with you completely. I would not be comfortable with the build number mixup and I definitely would not deal with a dealer with their attitude, because if that is management attitude it will really come back to bite you if you ever have any serious service issues with the car down the road. No, there are too many dealers out there that would love to sell you a $40,000 vehicle. Don't forget, the Crossfire is among the top Chrysler vehicles for sales dollars. They messed up big time and they need to live with it. JMHO.

Last edited by leebea; 12-03-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mbepic
Dan, you obviously haven't been involved in providing customer service in the retail field.
There is a saying that the "Customer is always right". This is just a saying but it symbolizes a policy that the customer should receive satisfaction in every way from the beginniing of the transaction to the end and afterwards. I don't care what the dealers problems may have been, there is no excuse for them acting the way they did. We have to take MTNXFIRE explanation of the dealers response at face value and true. In this case, the customer was waiting for his Xfire that was long overdue, found out on his own that the VIN # was such that indicated the vehicle should have been delivered before other deliveries with later VIN #s. He had every right to enquire and make a point of querying this. He's paying good money for something that includes "service".
As it turns out, he was right as far as the serial # issue went and the dealership should go overboard with an apology. However, do you really think they deserve the benefit of this sale after treating him with what I would call "disrespect".

I don't think so. MTNXFIRE, don't play around with them unless you really think your deposit is at risk. Go somewhere else for proper service.
My intention was to say only that it's a # and yes ultimately the customer is always the one who makes the final choice .To buy or not .My post said to say thanks but no thanks .But this # thing is WAY out there. But some customers are a little HARD to work with. Let's be Adult not like the poor idiot Dealers.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:12 PM

I don't think I would go back to them either. I don't care what stress they have in their personal life, or if I was a pain in the butt. After they closed the door and yelled at me, I'd be afraid to go back. It's like complaining to a waitress that my food was under cooked and she takes it back to the kitchen. I'd be afraid of what they would do to it, because I complained!!
Let them try to sell it to someone else. I know around here there are plenty of xf's for sale on the lots. Then at least you can see what you get. Seems like the credit card company is on your side. How much of a deposit did you give them?

Old 12-04-2004, 01:00 PM

I understand Dan. You are only getting one side of the story. Maybe I did annoy them. I don't feel I did, though. Besides calling them a few times to check about the status of the car and the one visit to set the price I never saw them again besides the vin issue. I don't feel I drove them crazy about that either since that was only 1 day. I talked to my salesman then we both went talk with the owner's son. That was the first and only time they heard about any problem with the vin. Bottom line is with the amount of money they could have made on the deal they should have at least treated me decently and made sure the info they had was correct before yelling at me. The sad thing is being treated rudely is extremely common in Louisiana. I currently, not counting the xfire which should be in my driveway, have 5 cars and only 2 have been pleasant purchases. I don't feel that I expect too much. I hate to bother salesmen because I don't want to waste their time, I only test drive a car I'm serious about purchasing, and if possible like to have all the credit and payment info figured up so when I pick up the car I just need to sign papers and leave. To be honest, I never even drove a crossfire roadster. The only 1 they had was in the showroom and as much as they pushed I didn't want them to go through all the trouble and dirty the car. I did drive one of the 2004 coupes, though. As far as the deposit, it was only $500. That really po'ed the owner's son because he was yelling about a $1000 deposit. I informed him it was half of that and he stared at the salesman with a very unhappy look and asked him to verify the info. The salesman humbly said it was only 500. I'm sure someone got yelled at about that. On a side note, I have purchased 2 cars in NC and loved the way the sales went. I guess the disrespect must just be a southern thing.

Last edited by mtnxfire; 12-04-2004 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Production number concerns