Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Does anyone have a way to fill in the hold left from my cupholder?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a way to fill in the hold left from my cupholder?

I broke off the cupholder not too long ago. I was hoping someone may have a stl image or something sthat I could 3d print or buy which would fill it in with either just a lid or some type of storage area.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Does anyone have a way to fill in the hold left from my cupholder?

I would suggest you replace it with a storage bin.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...e-bin-how.html

Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Freezer
I broke off the cupholder not too long ago. I was hoping someone may have a stl image or something sthat I could 3d print or buy which would fill it in with either just a lid or some type of storage area.
Here is the PDF that shows the replacement of the cup holder with a bin and it has pictures.
CLICK
Removal of the bin is easy, just pinch the two sides together in the middle and it comes out.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-06-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freezer
Did you ever get a answer to this specific question. It seems like this part is begging for a 3D print version. I personally don't have any experience creating 3D prints but have had them done for business reasons. There are many hobbyists that post files on 3D printing sites and I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed here.

The current low low price I see for the Storage Bin 1BQ12XDVAA is $41 on ebay.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtp13
Did you ever get a answer to this specific question. It seems like this part is begging for a 3D print version. I personally don't have any experience creating 3D prints but have had them done for business reasons. There are many hobbyists that post files on 3D printing sites and I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed here.

The current low low price I see for the Storage Bin 1BQ12XDVAA is $41 on ebay.
Wow, 3D printing, the poor mans answer to the Star Trek duplicator.
The strength of articles made by this method do not approach that of homogenous moulded or formed products.
I'd go with the $41 bin.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-14-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The strength of articles made by this method do not approach that of homogenous moulded or formed products.
I'd go with the $41 bin.

Your wallet or phone or whatever you store in this cubby must weigh a considerable amount more than mine if you're concerned about the tensile strength of it.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 PM

Your wallet or phone or whatever you store in this cubby must weigh a considerable amount more than mine if you're concerned about the tensile strength of it.
The main part of my post which you seemed to have skipped is the first sentence, the rest is just facts about the process. The finish is crap as well unless it is smoothed out, who wants crappy parts on their car?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:38 PM

This sentence?? Not much discussion about surface finish that I can see.

I personally wouldn't be too considered about a textured surface on the inside of a bin.

I have known people who used stereolithography intake manifolds on their drag racers. Strength and finish is a function process and materials.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 PM

This sentence?? Not much discussion about surface finish that I can see.

I personally wouldn't be too considered about a textured surface on the inside of a bin.

I have known people who used stereolithography intake manifolds on their drag racers. Strength and finish is a function process and materials.
My comment about the finish appears in the second post.
The first sentence in my first post has a smiley at the end of it, what does that signify?
Strength and finish depend of the quality of the machine, you do not get that from some cheap hobbyists machine.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-14-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

From my perspective, the storage bin is the best option when it comes time to replace the cup holder. There is a post here somewhere where an owner installed a XM receiver in the hole for the cup holder. Looked like it was factory. Receiver was specific (XM Commander) & is no longer made. But there are units out there if you look around.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
XM Commander Install.jpg (37.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
From my perspective, the storage bin is the best option when it comes time to replace the cup holder. There is a post here somewhere where an owner installed a XM receiver in the hole for the cup holder. Looked like it was factory. Receiver was specific (XM Commander) & is no longer made. But there are units out there if you look around.
Someone took the innards out off their cup holder and used what remained as a bin. There is a post somewhere on it. We have some resourceful people here.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:24 PM

My comment about the finish appears in the second post.
The first sentence in my first post has a smiley at the end of it, what does that signify?
Strength and finish depend of the quality of the machine, you do not get that from some cheap hobbyists machine.
My brother is a VERY advanced hobbyist (3D printing is his profession as well). He produces some extremely well finished projects. I may have to talk to him about producing something similar to this if the best dimensions can be nailed down...

Old 06-23-2017, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kyro
My brother is a VERY advanced hobbyist (3D printing is his profession as well). He produces some extremely well finished projects. I may have to talk to him about producing something similar to this if the best dimensions can be nailed down...
I would be interested to hear about your progress and get a file if you get that far. I have a friend that is in a local maker's club and could probably have him create it.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:12 PM

Spoke to my brother, if someone can get exact dimensions, I believe we can print them for significantly less than the $41 on eBay.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Does anyone know the depth of the cupholder? I may now have a contact for 3D printing and might give it a shot.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know the depth of the cupholder? I may now have a contact for 3D printing and might give it a shot.
O.A., 75mm on the short side, 92mm on the tall side. Looking at the dates from old posts on this thread, I see that you could have been enjoying the real deal cupholder for a year now; and for a mere $41.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:51 PM

That's true, I could have purchased one right away. They're are only more expensive now. ~$56. Thanks for the dimensions, I scaled a photograph and measured the opening. I may have reduced the depth a bit in my design. I may have to mod it, but I have one printing now. It takes a while, the printer said it would take 14 hours. I'll get it off the printer tomorrow. I'll have an opportunity to change the design if I'm not happy.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:13 PM

For the record Squirrel Crusher found that a late 90’s Saturn bin fit nearly perfectly. Use advanced search to get the details.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM

I finished this level of my 3D printed bin and it came out reasonably well. There were some things that I scaled from a photograph and because of that some dimensions were off. A bit more off than I would like to admit actually. But I had the opening dimensions so that was the critical dimension to meet. My retainer tabs are too high by about 5 mm. So instead of snapping over the lower edge of the top panel, I had to cut them down and now they provide an interference fit.

I also mentioned before that I made one inadvertently about 20 mm more shallow than the production bin. So that's a spare right now. I will send it to anyone that wants it if you send an envelope mailer to send back to you. Just message me and it's yours. It will fill the hole and looks good, but it is not as deep as a real one. You should be able to see the difference in the photograph or the screen grabs.

Next I want to try to make a deeper one (and adjust the tab height). There is a lot of room under the bin. I would like my phone to fit almost flush so that it's out of the way. I would change the base and round the inside corners so that any coins trapped on the bottom could be dragged up and out. I was well on my way but trying to modify my original design model I created some inconsistent geometry and couldn't finish it.

Production depth storage bin

20 MM shorter than production depth

Old 06-07-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a way to fill in the hold left from my cupholder?