Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Advice for hurricane Harvey victim

Old 09-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for hurricane Harvey victim

My 2005 crossfire was flooded up to the roof even though I moved it up to higher ground.

it was paid off and with it being a 12 year old car I drive to work and back I only had liability on it.

It's sitting in our parking lot along with dozens of other cars and trucks.

I spoke to a mechanic who told me that it would likely cost thousands to repair it which I can't do.

A guy guy at my complex offered me $300 :-(

Im sure I could get more than that as parts but then it has to be towed and housed somewhere etc.

Any advice on what to do?

Please I don't need to be told about what I did wrong such as not having comprehensive insurance etc. on it.

At this point I would simply appreciate advice. It's sad enough of a situation.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Advice for hurricane Harvey victim

Very sorry to hear about what happened. Your mechanic is right the cost would be extremely high and very difficult to do. The Crossfire electronics are touchy and most dealerships don't understand them anymore. I don't recommend attempting the repairs both because of the cost and afterward you are likely to encounter more problems with corroding electronics.

The parts on the car are worth a lot more than $300, but as you said, you have to store it somewhere as you take parts off which can be a problem. The center top windshield trim if in good condition is worth $200-$300.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
Very sorry to hear about what happened. Your mechanic is right the cost would be extremely high and very difficult to do. The Crossfire electronics are touchy and most dealerships don't understand them anymore. I don't recommend attempting the repairs both because of the cost and afterward you are likely to encounter more problems with corroding electronics.

The parts on the car are worth a lot more than $300, but as you said, you have to store it somewhere as you take parts off which can be a problem. The center top windshield trim if in good condition is worth $200-$300.

thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Wow. A car totally submerged?

Take the $300 and walk away from it.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:29 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Strip off the hard trim, WS Trim, grille, fender strakes, Crossfire badges and letters, wheels, dash trim panels etc. Then scrap it. Sell the parts here or on eBay. Must be over $1,000 for those parts.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

^^^ If there is any way you can do it, listen to Dave ^^^

Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Wow. A car totally submerged?

Take the $300 and walk away from it.
Yeah im afraid that's what I'm facing but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had been through this or had any other advice. Thanks for your advice.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Strip off the hard trim, WS Trim, grille, fender strakes, Crossfire badges and letters, wheels, dash trim panels etc. Then scrap it. Sell the parts here or on eBay. Must be over $1,000 for those parts.
I thought that night be the case as parts are hard to come by. My problem is figuring out how to do all that while dealing with everything else but thanks for the advice. I'll have to think about how I'd have it towed if I take th wheels off.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I would think someone on this board would come and get it with a trailer for $300. If I lived closer I would.

James

Old 09-02-2017, 11:19 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by devildog1967
I thought that night be the case as parts are hard to come by. My problem is figuring out how to do all that while dealing with everything else but thanks for the advice. I'll have to think about how I'd have it towed if I take th wheels off.
Cars can be towed using a dolly.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't forget the fog lights.. nothing electrical in them and could be cleaned up.. probably $150 to $200 right there..

Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2005 crossfire was flooded up to the roof even though I moved it up to higher ground.

it was paid off and with it being a 12 year old car I drive to work and back I only had liability on it.

It's sitting in our parking lot along with dozens of other cars and trucks.

I spoke to a mechanic who told me that it would likely cost thousands to repair it which I can't do.

A guy guy at my complex offered me $300 :-(

Im sure I could get more than that as parts but then it has to be towed and housed somewhere etc.

Any advice on what to do?

Please I don't need to be told about what I did wrong such as not having comprehensive insurance etc. on it.

At this point I would simply appreciate advice. It's sad enough of a situation.
My heart goes out to you friend, seems to me there are three logical choices you can take the money offered and walk away live to fight another day, you can somehow find a dry place to put it Salvage the hard Parts and recoup some money that way or do what you've already done by letting everyone on the Forum no what has happened and hope someone in your area could use it for a parts car and make you a better offer. There are a lot of Crossfire owners in Texas and adjacent States. Again so sorry for your tragedy and I hope things turn out well for you.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then sell it for $300 to your neighbor. Its worth that as scrap metal (a tear just come to my eyes), or sale it to a junker. Around here they come an pick them up. Donate it to the National Kidney Foundation as a tax write off an they will come pick it up... I'm sorry your having all these problems. I know its a daily struggle just fixing your life, as well as family an friends down there. Our hearts go out to you all!

Old 09-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

our prayers are with you and your family , I use to live in Galveston and now in miami, went through 7 hurricanes myself from Donna to Andrew so i know what you are going through,, now for the car, even if you can't get the tires try to get these parts .
list and what you can sell for.
headlights---------300 ea.
fog lights, ---------250 ea
tail lights-----------100 ea
grille upper -----300
grille lower--------50
silver trim around windsheild----- 400
hood if you have room ---------500
wheels and tires srt-----500,---limited 300
silver stakes on finders-----150
engine cover-----150
needswings intake -------300
small SC pulley-----400

and any small things you may be able to get

no one will say a thing if you park it in front of you house and take the parts off as they sell jim

Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I'm sorry to hear about your Crossfire. My car was just finished right before the storm and rain hit Houston and we were able to drive it and my sons cars to higher ground even though our area never floods.

I know what you mean about having other concerns to take care of before the car. We went through the same thing with Katrina losing six vehicles, two that had just undergone a year long restoration and one that was being restored over a period of 20 years.

Finding housing, new jobs, dealing with insurance companies, replacing the essentials (as all we had was the clothes on our backs and little more when we left) and a flooded home took priority over the cars.

The devastation is unreal, something I never thought I'd see twice in a lifetime and to have to go through it is a horrific experience. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones. Stay strong things will get better.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by paintergman
Man I'm sorry to hear about your Crossfire. My car was just finished right before the storm and rain hit Houston and we were able to drive it and my sons cars to higher ground even though our area never floods.

I know what you mean about having other concerns to take care of before the car. We went through the same thing with Katrina losing six vehicles, two that had just undergone a year long restoration and one that was being restored over a period of 20 years.

Finding housing, new jobs, dealing with insurance companies, replacing the essentials (as all we had was the clothes on our backs and little more when we left) and a flooded home took priority over the cars.

The devastation is unreal, something I never thought I'd see twice in a lifetime and to have to go through it is a horrific experience. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones. Stay strong things will get better.
Thanks I appreciate the support.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by amx1397
our prayers are with you and your family , I use to live in Galveston and now in miami, went through 7 hurricanes myself from Donna to Andrew so i know what you are going through,, now for the car, even if you can't get the tires try to get these parts .
list and what you can sell for.
headlights---------300 ea.
fog lights, ---------250 ea
tail lights-----------100 ea
grille upper -----300
grille lower--------50
silver trim around windsheild----- 400
hood if you have room ---------500
wheels and tires srt-----500,---limited 300
silver stakes on finders-----150
engine cover-----150
needswings intake -------300
small SC pulley-----400

and any small things you may be able to get

no one will say a thing if you park it in front of you house and take the parts off as they sell jim
Thanks for all the information.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Then sell it for $300 to your neighbor. Its worth that as scrap metal (a tear just come to my eyes), or sale it to a junker. Around here they come an pick them up. Donate it to the National Kidney Foundation as a tax write off an they will come pick it up... I'm sorry your having all these problems. I know its a daily struggle just fixing your life, as well as family an friends down there. Our hearts go out to you all!
True. Thanks

Old 09-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Thanks everyone...I've had the crossfire towed to a mechanics shop and talked to him about what I want to do.

Passed on the list of parts you guys suggested and he's being really cool about it and says as long as I don't leave it for months there will be no charge for keeping it there.

I feel much better about doing it this way...just didn't feel right sending it to the scrap heap for so little money...at least this way some of it's parts will help other crossfires out there and I'll get a bit of money.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone...I've had the crossfire towed to a mechanics shop and talked to him about what I want to do.

Passed on the list of parts you guys suggested and he's being really cool about it and says as long as I don't leave it for months there will be no charge for keeping it there.

I feel much better about doing it this way...just didn't feel right sending it to the scrap heap for so little money...at least this way some of it's parts will help other crossfires out there and I'll get a bit of money.

😉😊👍!! God helps those who are willing to help themselves. Good Fortune to you and your family.