Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Beeping above 75 mph

Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Beeping above 75 mph

Yes I did. I ordered it with the Chrysler program option.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Toolman for President"! Thanks so much. The 75 mph beep is dead! I had a quite drive back (LOL)

Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Was an attempt made to relearn the TPMS sensors?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:42 PM

Inchworm it was a pleasure meeting and talking with you today. Having tested the 75 mph alarm I certainly understand how it can be repeatedly annoying when passing on the turnpike.

Wadsworth, I tested the procedure on the 06 coupe I purchased last month. It had a tire pressure light on, but I didn't bother with it because I was having new tires, and the Shrader sensors I purchased, installed at the end of the month. To my surprise the original sensors on the 06 had some battery life in them and the car relearned them. The light is out.

I suggested to Inchworm we try it on his car, but I could see with the DRBIII that no signal was received by the car when the relearn magnet was applied to the sensors. My opinion is the incorrect replacement sensors were installed.

I'm not very knowledgeable about TPMS. I know with my Charger and Jeep the car will learn new sensors on it's own. For the Crossfire the relearn magnet needs to be applied to each sensor when the Chassis ECU is ready to learn it. You start with the front left (driver side) and work your way around the car in a clockwise rotation. You move to the next tire after the scanner beeps the car has learned the specific wheel sensor. I believe the newer aftermarket sensors are the correct frequency, but they are not stimulated to send a signal by the relearn magnet. Look at the shape of the original Shrader sensor and some of the newer sensors you might see on ebay. They are very different. I expect the tire stores have the correct equipment to stimulate the new sensors with a tool they have, but they have no ability to have the Chassis ECU be in learn mode for each tire location. Anyone telling you the car will learn the new sensors while driving do not know what they are talking about when it comes to the Crossfire. The car absolutely cannot do that.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-21-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolman
Inchworm it was a pleasure meeting and talking with you today. Having tested the 75 mph alarm I certainly understand how it can be repeatedly annoying when passing on the turnpike.

Wadsworth, I tested the procedure on the 06 coupe I purchased last month. It had a tire pressure light on, but I didn't bother with it because I was having new tires, and the Shrader sensors I purchased, installed at the end of the month. To my surprise the original sensors on the 06 had some battery life in them and the car relearned them.

I suggested to Inchworm we try it on his car, but I could see with the DRBIII that no signal was received by the car when the relearn magnet was applied to the sensors. My opinion is the incorrect replacement sensors were installed.
If I recall correctly some of the OEM sensors required a magnet to set them and some did not.
The universal Schrader sensors #2028? do not use a magnet, again if my memory is correct.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If I recall correctly some of the OEM sensors required a magnet to set them and some did not.
The universal Schrader sensors #2028? do not use a magnet, again if my memory is correct.
I don't know about the 2028, but checking the schradersensors.com website for the 20028, which I show above, it does use a magnet. I didn't clearly describe it above, but following the DRBIII screen prompts I had to use the relearn magnet on each sensor to have the 06 car chassis relearn the sensors which are oem originals.

I do recall reading that some newer sensors can clone original sensors. That requires equipment to read the original sensor and then program it to have the same code as the original. I don't know what vehicle sensors that would work with.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-21-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:19 PM

This covers it well:

Installing the TPMS sensors. PDF

Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM

I don't know about the 2028, but checking the schradersensors.com website for the 20028, which I show above, it does use a magnet. I didn't clearly describe it above, but following the DRBIII screen prompts I had to use the relearn magnet on each sensor to have the 06 car chassis relearn the sensors which are oem originals.

I do recall reading that some newer sensors can clone original sensors. That requires equipment to read the original sensor and then program it to have the same code as the original. I don't know what vehicle sensors that would work with.
My memory failed me I am afraid, the sensors recommended of late are the EZ-sensor #33500. These are the sensors that replace many OEM sensors.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:58 PM

My memory is not what it used to be either. Your wealth of Crossfire knowledge, and what you have compiled, is a great help to everyone. I very much appreciate it. Many thanks!

Last edited by Toolman; 09-22-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I can confirm the 20028 sensors do use a magnet. I had Discount Tires install them for me like 6 or 7 years ago. Then an assistant manager at a dealership helped me out and brought out the DRB 3. We had to use a magnet and start from LF to RF to RR to LR and that was it.

Last edited by Ronman; 09-22-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Being more specific
Old 09-22-2019, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ronman
I can confirm the 20028 sensors do use a magnet. I had Discount Tires install them for me like 6 or 7 years ago. Then an assistant manager at a dealership helped me out and brought out the DRB 3. We had to use a magnet and start from LF to RF to RR to LR and that was it.
I can confirm the confirmation that indeed a ring magnet is required to initiate the 20028 TPMS sensors.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:19 AM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

I can confirm the confirmation that indeed a ring magnet is required to initiate the 20028 TPMS sensors.

I agree, am mostly agreeable today. Agreed?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 AM

So I received the Foxwell scanner yesterday. It took four days from ordering it to receiving it. It came in a typical product display box wrapped in a plastic bag. The box was a little squashed, but the scanner inside was in it's carrying case and appeared fine. My time to play with it was limited to a few minutes as I had an after work birthday party to go to. I hooked it up to one of the Crossfires and found only the standard OBDII functions were seen on the scanner screen. I specifically ordered the Chrysler program. This morning I realized there are special EOBD function buttons which I expect the E is for enhanced function. I will try those tonight.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-24-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 PM

I followed through and downloaded the Foxwell client program, created a user account, and then updated the scanner with the Chrysler program. I tested the scanner selecting the "Chrysler" program on my 06 Crossfire and I could not get it to read the ECU's. I would select one and then wait minutes without it returning any information. I was concerned maybe it did not update correctly, so I then tested it on my Dodge Charger and found it worked with that. I was able to read ECU details, specific sensors, and run tests like opening windows and turning on lights. I spent enough time on the scanner for today. As I've mentioned before, the DRBIII is for 2004 to 2006 Crossfires, and the Starscan is for 2007 and 2008. I will try this new scanner on the 07 tomorrow. I will also try it on my wife's Jeep Renegade.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:46 PM

Thanks to a Ronman suggestion, I tried selecting 2008 Crossfire (NAFTA) and could get some functions to work on the scanner. Maybe on the weekend I can put together a list with what works and what does not. I expect some members will be very interested that the scanner can read my 07 convertible top sensors and switches status. On the 06 coupe I could read the tire pressure sensors last sensor reading. There was also an option to learn the sensors which I will absolutely be trying. I know that is a big deal requirement for many. There was an option to connect to the dashboard and HVAC ECU's, but that did not work on either the 06 or 07. I could read a lot of drive train related sensors. There were other menu options that did not work. Maybe I should start a new thread specifically related to this scanner, and any others that may later decide to buy it can chime in about it. It's looking better but I couldn't recommend it yet until I get a longer list of what functions work or not for everyone.

Are there any special function requests to check?

Last edited by Toolman; 09-25-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Can you check using Mercedes or is that a program purchased separately?

Old 09-26-2019, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wadsworth
Can you check using Mercedes or is that a program purchased separately?
I only purchased the Chrysler program. A second brand was $60.

I also own the iCarsoft Auto M900 V2.0 Mercedes-Benz Diagnostic Scan Tool. It works with the Crossfire, but I was expecting more comparing it to the DRBIII and Starscan. I'm impressed with a few areas with the Foxwell like the convertible top readings which certainly would help those with tops not working. I'm going to trigger an air bag fault to see if it will clear it, and as mentioned above will test the tire sensor relearn procedure.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-26-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

regarding the tpms sensors,. if they are aftermarket you need to use the drb to start the learn process then use a tire pressure sensor reading tool to read the sensor. reading the sensor with the tool activates the aftermarket sensor just like applying the magnet does to the stock sensor. so use the drb3, start the learn process and read the l/f sensor with the aftermarket tire pressure sensor read tool, the drb will beep and say go to the p/f tire, repeat the process for the remaining 3 tires.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
regarding the tpms sensors,. if they are aftermarket you need to use the drb to start the learn process then use a tire pressure sensor reading tool to read the sensor. reading the sensor with the tool activates the aftermarket sensor just like applying the magnet does to the stock sensor. so use the drb3, start the learn process and read the l/f sensor with the aftermarket tire pressure sensor read tool, the drb will beep and say go to the p/f tire, repeat the process for the remaining 3 tires.
I absolutely agree with your statement. The new sensors are not triggered by the old technology magnet.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-30-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:55 PM

I absolutely agree with your statement. The new sensors are not triggered by the old technology magnet.

Now it is possible for a tire shop to clone an existing "WORKING" old style sensor, with a new style, and the car computer would not know otherwise. I expect that would be a rarely be the situation. Most people wait to change the sensors when they stop working.
They can work with dead sensors. Cloning means it is the same as the OEM sensor. The Schrader sensor used is the 33700 model which has the aluminium stem, you could use the rubber stem which is a bit cheaper. Schrader can also supply the OEM sensors, they cost more. The EZ sensor covers three wavelengths and so can be used in a variety of sensor replacements.
They were made to be fitted by tire dealers making tire replacement a one-stop deal.
CLICK

Quick Reply: Beeping above 75 mph