Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Lack of acceleration/rough idle

Old 06-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of acceleration/rough idle

I have had my 2004 automatic coupe (4400 miles) at the dealer 4 times since mid-April and will be going back again on Monday. I'm actually having 2 problems: 1) unpredictable lack of acceleration (NO acceleration at all for several seconds, then 1-6 MPH) after coming to a complete stop and 2) periodically when stopping at a light, the engine will start to "miss", subtly at first, then violently shaking the entire car. This can be relieved by either putting the car in park OR by turning off the AC. Of course this can never be duplicated at the dealership, though they have been very conscientious in their efforts--no complaints there. Has anyone successfully had the same/similar problem solved?

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Default Re: Lack of acceleration/rough idle

Well, this does not sound good. What are the RPM's when it is running right vs. when it is acting up? Is the lack of acceleration present all of the time?

You may have a bad sensor, or even a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter / injector...
or...
perhaps the automatic trannie is staying in a top gear fully engaged when you are at idle this would account for the engine vibrating as well as poor acceleration when you take off.

Have you tried going into "neutral" when this happens to see if that would cause the symptoms to stop?

When did this all start?
Have you checked your trannie fluid level?
What fuel are you using BTW? Octane?

You may want to throw in a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner into a 1/2 full gas tank and run the tank down. It will clean up your injectors and to some extent the sensors.

Last edited by REDSC400; 06-24-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by artz105
I have had my 2004 automatic coupe (4400 miles) at the dealer 4 times since mid-April and will be going back again on Monday. I'm actually having 2 problems: 1) unpredictable lack of acceleration (NO acceleration at all for several seconds, then 1-6 MPH) after coming to a complete stop and 2) periodically when stopping at a light, the engine will start to "miss", subtly at first, then violently shaking the entire car. This can be relieved by either putting the car in park OR by turning off the AC. Of course this can never be duplicated at the dealership, though they have been very conscientious in their efforts--no complaints there. Has anyone successfully had the same/similar problem solved?

Thanks.
that is the same problem, my car had twice and both times it turned out to be the mass-air sensor probe. the car was shooting a code that the tech's could not figure out. so, they call the tech rep at chrysler and that fix the problem. the mass-air sensor probes have had alot of faults from all german cars. hope this helps bud!!!

Old 07-04-2005, 02:12 AM

My manual '04 coupe shakes from side to side at idle when the temperature is above about 70ºF. The dealers mechanics won't even acknowledge that the problem exists.

If I ever find a dealer who will work on the car and not do more damage than the fix... I'll mention the air mass sensor.