Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

AC problem

Old 07-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problem

Hello everyone. I have a problem with the air conditioning.
I have replaced two air conditioning compressors without success, the voltage is coming to the compressor but it does not have the right strength to make the air conditioning work. the mechanic claims that the compressor is broken but I think not because I bought it new. i also changed the dryer. What do you think the problem could be?

Old 07-03-2021, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts
Default Re: AC problem

The problem seems almost clear to me: Your 'mechanic' does not know what he is doing, get the car away from him. It is clear the issue is electrical, and he has no clue - same as 99% of the population of this world when it comes to electricity or electronics.

1) If the voltage at the clutch is not high enough to hold the clutch in, (which is what I get from your post), the issue is NOT the compressor, it's in the wiring or the climate control console.

2) Now, perhaps he is so incompetent, that he is seeing what is essentially NO voltage and assumes the voltage is 'weak' when, in fact, the controller module is not even trying to engage the clutch. This is a different matter altogether. The system will not engage the clutch if any of the following conditions exist:

The evaporator temperature sensor indicates an unusually low temperature. (This may be due to a bad sensor.)
The A/C pressure sensor indicates too high or two low refrigerant pressure in the system. (This can also be a bad sensor OR actual improper pressure.)*
The ECU thinks there is something wrong with the engine cooling system (the little "radiator" light will usually be on in this case, but not always.).

* If he replaced the compressor and did not charge the system properly, the clutch will not engage.

The following users liked this post:
exparamedic (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:02 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

I have a problem with my AC, it will be working fine and then everything stops dead. Playing with the ***** etc does nothing.
Without touching it, it will suddenly start at the settings it stopped at as if nothing was wrong.
This started the year before last, I hardly drove it last year so I never really was worried, it has happened once this year.
I took the AC control module out of the centre console and did the mods outlined in a thread here to get a better fit on the connectors, no difference.
Something just shuts the whole system down and I have no idea at all what it could be.
I think pizzaguy is my only hope.
I mentioned this before in a post but never got a reply.🙄

Old 07-03-2021, 12:28 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a known good working AC control module with mods complete. Ill send it to you for you to try and see. Just pay shipping. If it works i'll sell it to you for $30. If that's not it just ship it back.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:46 PM

Thank you for your answer. I will try to give your advice to the mechanic and I hope to be able to solve the problem.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:49 PM

I'm in italy. i'll try to testing evaporator sensor and pressure sensor and after if doesn't work i'll try with your ac control module

Old 07-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have a problem with my AC, it will be working fine and then everything stops dead. Playing with the ***** etc does nothing.
Without touching it, it will suddenly start at the settings it stopped at as if nothing was wrong.
This started the year before last, I hardly drove it last year so I never really was worried, it has happened once this year.
I took the AC control module out of the centre console and did the mods outlined in a thread here to get a better fit on the connectors, no difference.
Something just shuts the whole system down and I have no idea at all what it could be.
180 that control module is for you if you want it. let me know Sorry Giaiu79 if there was confusion.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doc78
180 that control module is for you if you want it. let me know Sorry Giaiu79 if there was confusion.
That is really gracious of you and I will gladly give it a try. Let me know the shipping, please.
Please ship via USPS if you can as the other carriers add all sorts of fees plus import duty. Canada Post does not add any fees or duties for small items.
I have had parts cost more in those fees than the item cost.
The USPS is much maligned at times but it has not failed me.
Once again thank you.
Dave

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-03-2021 at 04:29 PM. Reason: USPS added in third line.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:54 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Hey Dave, if that module resolves your problem, would you consider sending your old one to GraphiteGhost so he will finally shut up after 4 years of asking for one ?

Old 07-04-2021, 10:24 AM
Administrator

So, the fan quits, but does the A/C button's red light also go out?
If not, I'm thinking the "blower motor resistor" may be a suspect here, Dave.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:47 AM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Hey Dave, if that module resolves your problem, would you consider sending your old one to GraphiteGhost so he will finally shut up after 4 years of asking for one ?

Hahahahahah Thanks George! BTW, it has been quite a long time, much more than 4 years...

Old 07-04-2021, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
So, the fan quits, but does the A/C button's red light also go out?
If not, I'm thinking the "blower motor resistor" may be a suspect here, Dave.
It all dies including the light. Just like someone pulled a plug and then after a while it starts up again until the next time. There seems to be no consistent time involved. 🤔

Old 07-05-2021, 05:50 AM

the mechanic tried to make current directly from the battery to the compressor and does not start the same. according to him he insists that the compressor is wrong. you think?

Old 07-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by giaiu79
the mechanic tried to make current directly from the battery to the compressor and does not start the same. according to him he insists that the compressor is wrong. you think?
The clutch should engage and the compressor should run if you apply power to it. That does not mean you will get a lot of cold air, if the charge is not right or the engine fan is not pulling air across the condenser.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:26 AM
Administrator

It all dies including the light. Just like someone pulled a plug and then after a while it starts up again until the next time. There seems to be no consistent time involved. 🤔
That makes it sound like the controller is turning the pump off, does the A/C-Heater fan also stop? Because the controller will turn off the compressor if the ECU tells it to (like because the engine overheated, or because you pressed the accelerator down hard to pass) but it won't turn the blower off. This would imply to me that a condition is sensed by the controller or ECU that meet the requirement of turning the A/C off as part of passing another car (needed all available power to the wheels), or because of engine overheating - disabling the the pump for a reason (maybe there is a sensor somewhere LYING to the ECU or controller).

If the blower is going off as well, that sounds like a physical issue with the controller; a fuse opening up, bad connection in a wiring harness, etc. There is no scenario I am aware of that ALSO turns the blower off if the A/C must be disengaged. If the blower dies as well, I'd bet on a physical issue with the controller itself (the two boards that, it sounds like, you have already inspected).

Old 07-05-2021, 10:53 AM

That makes it sound like the controller is turning the pump off, does the A/C-Heater fan also stop? Because the controller will turn off the compressor if the ECU tells it to (like because the engine overheated, or because you pressed the accelerator down hard to pass) but it won't turn the blower off. This would imply to me that a condition is sensed by the controller or ECU that meet the requirement of turning the A/C off as part of passing another car (needed all available power to the wheels), or because of engine overheating - disabling the the pump for a reason (maybe there is a sensor somewhere LYING to the ECU or controller).

If the blower is going off as well, that sounds like a physical issue with the controller; a fuse opening up, bad connection in a wiring harness, etc. There is no scenario I am aware of that ALSO turns the blower off if the A/C must be disengaged. If the blower dies as well, I'd bet on a physical issue with the controller itself (the two boards that, it sounds like, you have already inspected).
Yes Mark it all dies including the heater fan and then suddenly it arises from the dead, almost biblical.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Yes Mark it all dies including the heater fan and then suddenly it arises from the dead, almost biblical.
Gotta be in the control boards somewhere, somehow.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:33 PM

Gotta be in the control boards somewhere, somehow.
I hope so, this is the only thing I have had go wrong on the car, just shy of 10 years but only 21,000 miles. I have to get out more. We have put twice as many miles on the wife’s car in half the time, her car gets parked close to the mall doors but mine would be parked at the farthest point from the doors. I am nice to her though as I let her out at the door.
I parked next to a guy far from the doors once, no other cars around us and he glared at me, I told him my car would protect one side of his car and his car would protect one side of mine, he laughed and said good idea.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:25 AM

problem solved. you won't believe it but it was the broken compressor. I replaced the compressor for the third time and now everything works fine. unbelievable!

Old 07-19-2021, 07:39 PM
Received 246 Likes on 203 Posts

Glad you have a happy ending !! I do hope you received a refund on at least one of those bad compressors.