Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Lots&Lots of fast coupes in the near future!

Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Lots&Lots of fast coupes in the near future!

Ok maybe the future is the Firehawk, because all Jag, Nissan, Lexus, and Toyota are bringing out fast coupes with V8s and even V10s. New Cayman, Z06, Jag XK and all around 50k -- 100k+. Better find that SRT6 deal soon!

Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 AM
sbj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lots&Lots of fast coupes in the near future!

We are in for some sick times ahead. Maybe I will be able to afford a diecast model of one in the near future.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sbj
Maybe I will be able to afford a diecast model of one in the near future.
Or maybe a nice scale snap-together!

LOL

Old 03-02-2006, 06:49 PM
sbj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the srt?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:29 AM

SRT is great. It is quite a bit faster than the non-SRT. It sounds very much the same as the standard model, even though it has 1,115 more horsepower. You can faintly hear the whine of the supercharger when you give it 3/4 or so throttle and the rpms are above 2,500 - 3,000. Other than the barely perceptible whine, it sounds pretty much the same as the standard. That really surprised me. Same for the exhaust. Not very different in sound.

Engine is gem. I have driven many 300 - 350 hp small block Chevies in my past, and this motor feels just like a stout small block. Really cool.

Don't really like the auto, though. I have been driving it very conservatively (most of the time, at least), and now the trans thinks I am a grandma, and treats me accordingly. Shifts WAY too early in all gears. It is usually in 5th gear by around 40 mph. In fact, if you take off from a stop like most sane drivers, the rpm's do not rise above 2,000. And to add insult to injury, it will not downshift from any gear unless I have the pedal 3/4 of the way to the floor!

I will post more later in a new thread where I will compare and contrast my driving experience of SRT vs non-SRT. There is a lot to say.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Banned

Try this... keep it in 3 gear position around town and 4 until cruising over 60 mph. Check the W&S position keep it in S and turn off TC.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:32 AM

Yup, I have been keeping it in third, and the Trac Control in S. The third gear thing does help quite a bit to keep the motor in a rpm range that is more "spirited"...but still not even close to ideal.

I didn't think the ESP being on or off had any influence on the shift pattern...

The trans, like most auto's these days, are adaptive learners. But I have a problem with that philosophy. If you drive like a grandma more often than not (who wants to romp ALL of the time anyway?), the darn thing adapts to that.

I would prefer a button that has three positions: Normal, spirited, and autocross. Then program the shift algorithm to learn within each of those three. I know it can be done!

Of course with this kind of complexity, one would ask, "Why not just get a manual?"

To which I would reply, "Damn, I wish I could!"

All in all, the auto really isn't that bad. It just simply isn't a manual. And when you fully perfect the art of shifting a manual, well, it is just a beautiful thing that simply can't be matched by an auto!

Old 03-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned
Talking Re: Lots&Lots of fast coupes in the near future!

Well the times I have driven the srt6s for a test drive the only real performance feel is when you STEP ON IT!!! Otherwise it's going to feel the same as a regular Crossfire.!

TRY 1st gear slam it to the floor it will shift by itself to 3rd! whooo who!