Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

changing brake light bulb

Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Re: changing brake light bulb

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
But why would you leave pressure on the system all the time?
Obviously you don't. I am talking about your comment that pressure leads to leaks, the greatest pressure is in operation, no pump operating and the pressure is all due to weight of the top. Even with no pressure release the top would come down due to leakage.
I learned that lesson back in the day when I designed a jack to lift a plane up by its nose wheel and they left the plane jacked up all night and came in next day to find the plane down with no wheels on. Oops!
They tried to blame me, I said they should have used a jack stand as well. Sometimes you have to think quick on your feet when the **** starts flying. We added a locking pin to the jack.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-29-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, whomever let you know the trick on the roadster, well we need to buy them a beer, worked like a dream, did change both bulbs while I was doing it, my headlights went out within days of each other, again, worked like a dream

Old 06-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

From pizzaguy :
But here is MY COMPLAINT: How do you get the bulb assembly back in? The wires are just to short to easily manipulate the lamp assembly.
Easy way : there's 3 10mm nuts on each assembly, take those off and the whole thing comes out and it's then easy to manipulate the bulb plugs.
( Don't drop the nuts )

Old 07-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
But why would you leave pressure on the system all the time?
Machines at work have pressure on one side or the other all the time, you are either forward or retract. It has a pressure regulator to keep pressure constant. Only time pressure is off is when power is dropped then it goes to vent. (no pressure). Older power steering systems have pressure on one side or the other all the time the motor is running. Some of the newer systems have oil over air for pressure , More precise.

Just my two cents, it seems that a hydraulic system should be cycled or pressurized once during a system start up. I think this would help the seals from drying out.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop this is insane . It's so easy . I just read all the post guys and gals . All you need to do is fold down the gate to gain access to the inner well above the wheel , you can clearly see to reach around and twist the socket and pull the bulb . The only problem is opening the package that the new bulb come in lol it's only took me 3 minute , please don't get mad at me I'm just trying to stop everyone from the madness

The following users liked this post:
wheeldealer (09-02-2020)
Old 06-27-2016, 12:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ron Yorston
Hey fun seekers......had to replace the back tail light on my alabaster white 05 roadster...logged on to the always useful forum, and found a posting somewhere that suggested you lower the top just to the position where the tonneau cover is vertical and the rest of the top is hovering above the seating area, then look inside and you can see and change the bulb without alll the agony of removing plugs and contorting yourself out of shape to get at it from the trunk........well I at first thought it silly, but I tried it and, guess what, it worked.....so want to thank that Crossfire guy or gal for the suggestion...........oh and someone added that you must complete your replacement within 20 minutes or the top hydraulics start to give out.....that happened to me but didn't create a problem, as soon as it started I put the top up and then lowered it to the above verbalized position, and finished the job.............way easy good luck to all you wonderbar Crossfire people Ron

You should have waited Ron...Rebecca would have changed it for you. She is my Mechanic....LOL

Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Yes, lowering the top partially does expose the tail light bulbs. Yay! Not much length in the electrical wiring though so it's hard to see what you are doing and it helps to have small hands. I had to replace the brake light driver's side and the hardest part for me was getting the bulb reseated so I could tighten it, but it's fixed!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Small hands? Have Trump help you out.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Small hands? Have Trump help you out.

Political or sexist? No inquiring minds here!

Old 09-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the tip worked like a champ. Bulb changed in 15 minutes including running to the store for the bulb!!

Old 09-02-2020, 06:04 PM

Thany you