Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Bought K&N air filters...now need find instructions...

Old 05-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bought K&N air filters...now need find instructions...

Sprung for two air filters for the bat-mobile. Price of gas justifies the one time expenditure. Now I need to put them in. I searched through the parts of this forum for instructions (perhaps with pictures) but no cigar. Can someone point me to a "changing air filters on the crossfire for dummies"?

I have looked over and under that fancy cover to see how to get it loose and nothing I see makes me want to grab something and pull. Someone mentioned to me to disconnect the intake pipes and then grab the back of the cover and pull up hard.

I'm an air filter virgin on the crossfire and do not want to break something doing this what is probably a minor process. Anyone know if there are instructions somewhere in the 1200 or so entries in the fixing part of the forum? Or, have a couple pictures of where things come loose? Are there no screws to loosen? Any directions would be welcomed....

Thanx popeye

Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bought K&N air filters...now need find instructions...

*** IF LIKE SRT***

Pull up on each side and the front, one place at a time. There are clips in rubber mounts that will release. Lift off cover.
You then will have to use a torx driver to remove the screws from each air filter cover. (6 or 8 each) I did not have to disconnect any hoses.
Just lift the covers enough to remove/replace the filters. (DO NOT forget to install the foam spacers included with the K&Ns. They stick to the underside of the filter covers, in the "groove")

Last edited by 70GT6; 05-03-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Forum Regular

Hi popeye,
all you nee to do is pull the cover off , start at the back corners then the front.
you will find the airbox located underneath ie. part of the cover, unsrew to reveal your old filters and then clean the airbow before putting your new filters in.
really is an easy job

Old 05-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks very much mates. I'll give her a try...

Last edited by popeye; 05-03-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Man, are you gonna notice a big difference

Old 05-03-2008, 03:27 PM

The deed is done. Not hard at all. I only have 4 torx screws per side. The original filters were not too bad but one side seemed to have more sand and dirt than the other. Cleaned up the place where the filters live and schlept it back together no problemo. To tell you the truth I may or may not notice a difference because the bat-mbile is so new to me. But I might get some indication of better mileage as I did record that for the first thousand miles.

I never saw so many spark plugs living in one engine...this thing is just a joy to own...

Thanx a bunch for the information troops...popeye

Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
*** IF LIKE SRT***

Pull up on each side and the front, one place at a time. There are clips in rubber mounts that will release. Lift off cover.
You then will have to use a torx driver to remove the screws from each air filter cover. (6 or 8 each) I did not have to disconnect any hoses.
Just lift the covers enough to remove/replace the filters. (DO NOT forget to install the foam spacers included with the K&Ns. They stick to the underside of the filter covers, in the "groove")
SRT must be considerably different than my roadster limited. Although most of the removal of the intake cover is the same. I found if I just lift the front two clips off the rubber mounts then go to the back and lift those that whole assembly including the two pipes that come in on the sides comes off in one piece. It is pretty heavy and you are bent way over to get at it but it all comes right out. Flip it over on a piece of carpet and install new filters. I found no foam pieces in the K&N box just the filter. Reassembly is quite intuitive too and easy...popeye

Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 AM

Sound quite different.
On the SRT the cover lifts off but the filter housing and air tubes stay on the engine.

Glad to hear it was an easy task and it worked out well.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 PM

I have an srt also.. will put up pics soon
I wanted to install K&Ns or those green performance filters..
So both regular crossfires and SRTs have 2 air filters?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
*** IF LIKE SRT***

I didn't get any foam spacer with my K&N replacement air filters?!

kjnc

Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have an SRT?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This site discusses the airfilter replacement on our 3.2 liter engine and has pictures:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...-cleaners.html

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM

KJNC,

No spacers needed on NA model. I just purchased and installed mine. They drop in just like the originals. Noticed a difference of additional 10 miles on my first tank of gas after the change. Seemed to have more pep around 50+ mph, too.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magneticred
This site discusses the airfilter replacement on our 3.2 liter engine and has pictures:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...-cleaners.html
anybody have a logon to this site and can download the .pdf?
Replacing SLK320 Engine Air cleaners.pdf (620.6 KB, 642 views)
i'd like to read thru this as my stealer was wanted $40/side to replace my filters. thanks

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to http://www.benzworld.org/
Click register in the upper left hand corner.
Now you can log in.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I replaced my roadster air filters with K&N last spring and noticed a tad better gas mileage, but no performance difference. All the installation comments are correct but I wanted to add...

1) take the opportunity to clean the air filter housing well before installing new filters

2) I recall on the n/a it was easy to collapse the air intake tiubes where they "accordion" and remove them -- it made them real easy to clean and Armor-all before re-installing

Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)

I installed my K&N's last weekend. Throttle response seems a little crisper exhaust note seems a bit louder.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Thanks for all of the information regarding changing the air filters, in and out!
I have thoroughly enjoyed owning my XFire. I have been restoring-customizing a 1949 Ford for the last 6 years - unfortunately the Crossfire has changed my level of interest in the Ford.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldwing
2) I recall on the n/a it was easy to collapse the air intake tiubes where they "accordion" and remove them -- it made them real easy to clean and Armor-all before re-installing
This is the method I use when needing to remove the engine cover / air filter housing. Once you compress the inlet tube using the accordian sections, the inlet tube will come off easily on each side. Then the cover is easier to remove since these inlets are out of the way.

Worth noting here that precaution should be taken when re-installing the engine cover. First, make sure the rubber seal on the engine cover at the rear is seated properly in its location. Then apply silicone lubricant lightly to the seal (I usually spray a paper towel and then wipe the seal with it). Seal will slip over the throttle body connection much easier having done this. Make sure you get a good & proper seal at the back where the engine cover mates up with the throttle body inlet.

The first time I removed my engine cover to install a pair of K&N filter elements, I found this large rubber seal damaged from an earlier installation that was done poorly. Had to apply some black RTV sealant to the damaged seal to get it back to near OEM looks. (Note: I've since found this seal at OEM Discounts Parts for $5.)

Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

For those interested, see link below for post on service procedure for air filters on NA engine:

Air Filter Service

Quick Reply: Bought K&N air filters...now need find instructions...