Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

nitrogen in tires

Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrogen in tires

What are the pro's and con"s ?

Old 06-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: nitrogen in tires

Originally Posted by kiki
What are the pro's and con"s ?
Cost more than regular air, but it keeps a more constant air pressure because it's not effected by temp. changes as much. Doesn't hold moisture.

Makes you talk funny at parties.
Oops, wrong gas.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nitrogen is a bigger molecule and will not seep through the pores of rubber. it does cost to get them filled but ir's suppose to be a 1 time fill unles you have a flat or change your tires. other problems - nitrogen filled tires are suppose to be marked with a blue cap but if you take your car in for service and they check the air, they may not know. not sure if its a problem or not. when i got my '05, it had blue caps. replaced the rear tires at discount tires and they have no nit. they said they check and adjust air on their tires at any time for free and guarantee immediate check so there's no need to have nitrogen.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 AM

my local dealer did nitrogen in all 4 tires for $20, with the option of $75 for lifetime of car-even with tire changes. got a buddy at the dealership that filled them for free which is hard to beat.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 AM

I don't mean to sound like a cynic but why use nitrogen? Checking tire pressure is still a must regardless of which gas / combination of gasses is put into your tires. Also, the atmosphere is composed of 78% (+/-) Nitrogen, 21%(+/-) Oxygen and the rest are mostly inert gasses. Is it necessary to jump on every new product bandwagon?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 AM

I'm contemplating taking the nitrogen out of my tires mainly because I go to the track. I need to be able to adjust my tire pressures and once the nitrogen is out of the tire I have to go to a place to get it refilled.

Here in FL, the temp changes are pretty drastic during Spring, Fall, and Winter. 40 in the morning, up to 80 in the afternoon so I'd always have to check my tire pressures to make sure they were correct. I'd fill them up in the morning becuase they were low and by the afternoon they'd be too high (due to the heat).

However, I think I'd rather have the ability to regulate my tire pressure at the track, but that's just me

Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it was tirerack.com did a test over a year and found that regular air only lost 1psi more over 12 months than the nitrogen did so it is a waste of money.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Nitrous - that way if you get a flat you can laugh about it as you go to have to purchase a new wheel that just got all f'd up...

Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Thumbs up Re: nitrogen in tires

Simply put, using Nitrogen will prevent "as much of a loss of" airpressure in your tires over any given period of time. I would question the validity of the test that mrphotoman refered to.

Nascar really made the use of Nitrogen popular when they started using it in every tire on the track... so I don't think GatorLCA should have a problem.

And besides, our Crossfires have a "low air pressure" warning light that comes on if our tire pressure ever gets low. So you shouldn't have to keep checking it anyway. And the use of nitrogen will not affect this gauge's effectiveness.

I've even heard some reports where drivers (that use nitrogen in their tires) have reported getting slightly better gas mileage... probably because of a much more even and smoother ride.

I just had nitrogen put in my tires a month ago for $20 with a lifetime "refill" guarantee. I have never had an issue or problem with low tire pressure. Every technician (at 3 Chrysler dealerships) that I've spoken with ALL highly recommend it.

Do it. Or don't do it. But I give it a thumbs up.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by NOT2FST
Simply put, using Nitrogen will prevent "as much of a loss of" airpressure in your tires over any given period of time. I would question the validity of the test that mrphotoman refered to.

Nascar really made the use of Nitrogen popular when they started using it in every tire on the track... so I don't think GatorLCA should have a problem.

And besides, our Crossfires have a "low air pressure" warning light that comes on if our tire pressure ever gets low. So you shouldn't have to keep checking it anyway. And the use of nitrogen will not affect this gauge's effectiveness.

I've even heard some reports where drivers (that use nitrogen in their tires) have reported getting slightly better gas mileage... probably because of a much more even and smoother ride.

I just had nitrogen put in my tires a month ago for $20 with a lifetime "refill" guarantee. I have never had an issue or problem with low tire pressure. Every technician (at 3 Chrysler dealerships) that I've spoken with ALL highly recommend it.

Do it. Or don't do it. But I give it a thumbs up.
i am sure they do reccomend it seeing as how they make money from it lmao.

here is another one, we all know how dishonest consumer reports is lol. IT IS A CONSPIRACY AGAINST NITROGEN!!!!! I bet the government is in on it as well, they just want us to use that crappy old regular air to be mean to us! Why use free air when we can pay $20 for nitrogen in our tires because we all know how difficult it is to check your air pressure once or twice a year!!!

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html

Honestly, if you want to throw your money away on silly stuff like this then go for it. It only hurts your wallet, some people believe in this garbage and buy all the silly fuel saver magnets, nitrogen in tires, paint thinner in the gas tank and all that crap.

Last edited by mrphotoman; 06-03-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Forum Regular

I drive around with helium balloons in my car. Sure its hard to see, but I get better mileage.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
I drive around with helium balloons in my car. Sure its hard to see, but I get better mileage.
great idea! i am going to try that tomorrow on the way to work!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

"Every technician (at 3 Chrysler dealerships) that I've spoken with ALL highly recommend it."

That alone is enough to say NO to N2.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Since air is 78% Nitrogen that means 78% of the gas in a tire is already Nitrogen. Since Oxygen molecules are smaller they leak out of a tire easier than the Nitrogen, thereby increasing the percentage of Nitrogen left in a tire. So just fill your tires up with air and in a couple of days they will be filled with only Nitrogen.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Forum Regular

Maybe, a coupe of years.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 AM

OK. I see we definitely have some sceptics out there. That's fine. Like I said earlier... Do it. Or don't do it. I don't care.

Is it necessary? No. Cars have been running for years with regular air in the tires for years. But in response to the original question in this thread, let me take a moment to expound on some of the pros and cons.

Nitrogen is a dryer, more stable gas that's less prone to changes in pressure due to heat or cold. Nitrogen has long been used in aircraft tires and in the tires of race cars. Proponents of nitrogen argue that since studies show that fewer than 60 percent of drivers rarely if ever check the inflation of their tires, anything that will slow the normal leakage -- estimated by some at 1 to 2 pounds per square inch a month -- is a good safety measure.

Some experts claim that putting nitrogen in your tires will increase your fuel efficiency because properly inflated tires will reduce rolling resistance, which can mean as much as a 3 percent better mileage than a car with under-inflated tires.

These experts also claim that nitrogen will not degrade the interior rubber of the tire or corrode the wheels, since it contains no oxygen or water vapor -- both present in the atmosphere we breathe and pump into our tires.

It is true that air already consists of 78% nitrogen, so going to pure nitrogen only squeezes out a small amount of the oxygen molecules that nitrogen proponents argue are so detrimental.

Is it worth $40? Probably not. Could it be worth $20 if you're promised a life-time supply of free refills? It probably would be worth it, especially if (like me) you don't religiously check the air pressure in your tires. It might actually help your tires to wear more evenly, allowing you to extend the life of your tires. If I can spend $20 to help enhance the life of some very expensive tires, I'm all for it. That's just my 2 cents.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: nitrogen in tires

The best benefit of Nitrogen in our tires is that if you live in an area that has drastic climatic/temperature changes, the TPMS light does not come on.....every other day.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
The best benefit of Nitrogen in our tires is that if you live in an area that has drastic climatic/temperature changes, the TPMS light does not come on.....every other day.
we have pretty drastic temp changes here year round and my light has only came on when i let air out of the tires at the drag strip.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Technically it is a mercedes, i'm not sure how much time you've spend under your hood or underneath your car.. but if you have any- i'm sure u'd noticed all the countless mercedes benz parts on it. Additionally, upon proper research (completed on your part of course, the rest of us have done ours) you will conclude that as well, it is built by mercedes, therefore making it technically a mercedes.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by thallc230
Technically it is a mercedes, i'm not sure how much time you've spend under your hood or underneath your car.. but if you have any- i'm sure u'd noticed all the countless mercedes benz parts on it. Additionally, upon proper research (completed on your part of course, the rest of us have done ours) you will conclude that as well, it is built by mercedes, therefore making it technically a mercedes.
What the hell? What a bizzare post, this old thread was about nitrogen in tires (see thread title and all posts) not if our cars are mercedes or chrysler lol.