Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.
View Poll Results: Do you drive a roadster with a stick?
YES!
61.26%
NO!
38.74%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you drive a roadster with a stick? Vote here!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Re: Poll: Do you drive a roadster with a stick? Vote here!

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
my first camaro, '69 Z-28 obviously a 4-speed close ratio STICK...my second camaro, big block 396, with a B&M Auto, 3500 Stall, and I have been back and forth for years...auto are cool if you drive them rt...sticks are better when playing in the curves and such...but I have had some pretty bad auto in my day...but never, never would you DOWN shift an auto, unless you wanted to walk...sooner or later, converter goes....but today, maybe puters keep this from happening, but I'm not risking it.....
OMG, Believe it or not, I agree with Mrphotoman!

Doc, Must be a GM thing. Never had trouble with my Torque Flites. They went into lower gears when told to do so but only when they felt like it.

I would never do it in my wife's minivand and never, never in my '57 bird 'cause of the consequences. My wife would kill me and the Bird was...special.

roadster with a stick

Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Automatic. I'm impressed with how well it does respond and handle. I drove a six speed coupe for a while and didn't think I would like the auto.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to get back to some serious discussions & some wise-as_ comments!

I usually try to get on here every night but my co-worker Deb (pic. of co-worker Deb available in Gallery) lost her daughter on Monday after a failed heart transplant. Tragic stuff & I haven't been interested in discussion for the past few. Knew her daughter well............I'm going to miss her, sweet kid, lived with the guillotine of certain death hovering right behind her neck for 30 years. Courage I'd have a hard time matching, that's for sure. The older I get the more this happens & it gets depressing sometimes....

But, enough of this morose feeling, time to get back to some level of normal!
What better than another mindless thread about the infamous
STICK VS. AUTOMATIC WARS.

Sorry Photo, I drive a coupe w/ an automatic because that's all that's available for us! and I love it. and I don't miss a stick.
BUT, I think for those that want to drive a sports car because it really feels like a sports car with a manual I would think that

roadster with a stick

would be perfectly appropriate!
Individualism - ain't it a great thing !

Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Talking Re: Poll: Do you drive a roadster with a stick? Vote here!

I beat the dog with a stick. I drive with two hands on the wheel and right foot on the gas.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Forum Regular

Kurts - So sorry to hear about your friends daughter. Please pass along my condolences and prayers.

Franc - I liked your "Roadster with a stick" so much, I put it on my digital license plate... I hope you don't mind...

Old 08-22-2008, 04:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I wanted cedar interior but would have settled for any color.
I wanted a convertible but would have been very happy with the coupe.
I wanted SSB, but would have settled for any color.
But,
There was no option on the tranny, must be manual.

Scottw60. I agree on your brake theory. My '75 Starfire got 190M miles out of the original brakes but went through three clutches. My '95 dodge one ton is on it's secound set of brakes at 210M miles. I am replacing the clutch at about 240 (next month maybe). My wifes minivan, with Autostick, is on her third set of shoes at 140M miles.

I'm not sure what the savings are and don't care. It is just more fun to control the vehicle speed with the engine. Two exceptions, My 1969 Cuda with a "Quick Shift" kit in the Torque-Flite tranny and the SRT autostick, which is a blast and very intuitive.
That said, I still prefer the manual and like many here have reluctantly chosen it over HP.

And I am

roadster with a stick

BTW Mrphotoman, what about the coupes with a stick? I'm sure they have fun too but nobody signs off "Coupe with a stick"
Lol you are right! That sounds like an oppurtunity for one of you guys with a coupe!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurts
Time to get back to some serious discussions & some wise-as_ comments!

I usually try to get on here every night but my co-worker Deb (pic. of co-worker Deb available in Gallery) lost her daughter on Monday after a failed heart transplant. Tragic stuff & I haven't been interested in discussion for the past few. Knew her daughter well............I'm going to miss her, sweet kid, lived with the guillotine of certain death hovering right behind her neck for 30 years. Courage I'd have a hard time matching, that's for sure. The older I get the more this happens & it gets depressing sometimes....

But, enough of this morose feeling, time to get back to some level of normal!
What better than another mindless thread about the infamous
STICK VS. AUTOMATIC WARS.

Sorry Photo, I drive a coupe w/ an automatic because that's all that's available for us! and I love it. and I don't miss a stick.
BUT, I think for those that want to drive a sports car because it really feels like a sports car with a manual I would think that

roadster with a stick

would be perfectly appropriate!
Individualism - ain't it a great thing !
Those srt6's suck!

Check my sig, i have one too. In fact I used the auto stick in the curves on the way to work ( have some fantastic s curves to raise hell in) and by holding it to the left i kept it in the optimum gear and even made the traction control work overtime

Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 AM

My favorite place to take Sarah is into the mountains so definately Roadster With a Stick. Because automatics can't read the road ahead and be in the correct gear before entering a curve, well not yet anyway.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Char
Kurts - So sorry to hear about your friends daughter. Please pass along my condolences and prayers.

Franc - I liked your "Roadster with a stick" so much, I put it on my digital license plate... I hope you don't mind...
Don't mind a bit. Thanks for the compliment.

roadster with a stick

BTW I checked out your My Space. WOW. You are one hot Mama.
If I was just a year younger.....and single!

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-22-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
I drive mine with my hands.......using a stick is too tough on the interior leather!

I did vote yes though!
Good one Steve

Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular

ahhhh schucks... thanks!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed Franc, she's a dime

Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Those srt6's suck!

Check my sig, i have one too. In fact I used the auto stick in the curves on the way to work ( have some fantastic s curves to raise hell in) and by holding it to the left i kept it in the optimum gear and even made the traction control work overtime
Photo: of course I know you drive an auto w/a stick option! Signature staring not required! Hence my retort & hence my post!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:14 AM

There was no option on the tranny, must be manual.

Scottw60. I agree on your brake theory. My '75 Starfire got 190M miles out of the original brakes but went through three clutches. My '95 dodge one ton is on it's secound set of brakes at 210M miles. I am replacing the clutch at about 240 (next month maybe). My wifes minivan, with Autostick, is on her third set of shoes at 140M miles.

I'm not sure what the savings are and don't care. It is just more fun to control the vehicle speed with the engine. Two exceptions, My 1969 Cuda with a "Quick Shift" kit in the Torque-Flite tranny and the SRT autostick, which is a blast and very intuitive.
That said, I still prefer the manual and like many here have reluctantly chosen it over HP.
Never got more than 50K, but I drive every auto like an autostick, so the autostick comes naturally to me. Back in the day when I was driving and racing Triumph's amd MG's I would have agreed with you. The nice thing about the autostick is that is has the best of both worlds.

I had the Excelsior (name of the car) in the mountains with Airscape (Coupe with a Stick) and we were coperable with each other, and we were not obeying the speed limits!

The autostick comes closest to estimating the road ahead, and if you drop it down, but are going too fast for that gear, it will not downshift until you have slowed down a bit, and if you know you tranny, you can time this. I do this in my van coming down a steep hill allof the time, and the tranny knows that hill well!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Char

Thanks, Char!!
Most all of us have been there; never get used to it !

Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scottw60
Never got more than 50K, but I drive every auto like an autostick, so the autostick comes naturally to me. Back in the day when I was driving and racing Triumph's amd MG's I would have agreed with you. The nice thing about the autostick is that is has the best of both worlds.

I had the Excelsior (name of the car) in the mountains with Airscape (Coupe with a Stick) and we were coperable with each other, and we were not obeying the speed limits!

The autostick comes closest to estimating the road ahead, and if you drop it down, but are going too fast for that gear, it will not downshift until you have slowed down a bit, and if you know you tranny, you can time this. I do this in my van coming down a steep hill allof the time, and the tranny knows that hill well!
Agreed. Timing the auto to shift is just like timing the throttle. You get used to it as you develope your relationship to the car.

My Butt sat in my Cuda for about 140K miles and in my Starfire for 200K. Never had to think about shifting. Although one was a manual and the other an auto, both shifted regularly and smoothly. Unless of course I was thinking about the shifting, then things could get complicated.

Same thing happens in my Xfire. I manually shift up thru the gears smoothly and back down, shifting to each gear. I don't even think about it. It just happens.

And I hardly ever touch the brake except to come to a complete stop

roadster with a stick

BTW, Best brake on my truck for hills is the Cummins.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM

Agreed. Timing the auto to shift is just like timing the throttle. You get used to it as you develope your relationship to the car.

My Butt sat in my Cuda for about 140K miles and in my Starfire for 200K. Never had to think about shifting. Although one was a manual and the other an auto, both shifted regularly and smoothly. Unless of course I was thinking about the shifting, then things could get complicated.

Same thing happens in my Xfire. I manually shift up thru the gears smoothly and back down, shifting to each gear. I don't even think about it. It just happens.

And I hardly ever touch the brake except to come to a complete stop

roadster with a stick

BTW, Best brake on my truck for hills is the Cummins.
I agree, the more that you think about it, or the more that you have to think about it, the more likely you are to blow a shift.

On that same note, I came across something while driving through WV last weekend, if you are in drive, and say going 35-40, and hit it left do downshift, all of a sudden you find yourself in 2nd gear. I suspect that's because the tranny says you should be in 3rd, and you are requesting a down shift. If I want it in 3rd, I have to hit it left then a quick right before the tranny kicks in, and there is plenty of opertunity to blow a shift and put you wife and her coffee through the windshield!!