Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Power Windows

Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Windows

Greetings. I've had a strange thing happen recently. This problem usually happens on mornings when there is dew on the ground. The passenger window goes down but won't go back up. When I hit the up switch, I can hear a buzzing/clicking sound coming from the passenger door. Eventually, the window does go back up but only after waiting for hours and praying it doesn't rain.

I replaced the switch, but that didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas on what's wrong? I haven't put the window down in a while, but with fall here, it's frustrating not being able to put the top down. I have a feeling it's something inside the door, but I wanted to check here first before I take my car into the Chry$ler dealer. It doesn't make sense that the window goes down, but not up.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 AM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Power Windows

Sounds like the regulator is bad. If you hear noise either the window is getting stuck in the track because of moisture or the gears are stripped. When the weather is dry does the window work normally?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM

I haven't put the window down in quite a while. However, before I stopped putting the window down, the window worked when it was dry. It was quite foggy this morning, so I'll try it when I leave and let you know what happens.

What/Where is the regulator? Is that something the do-it-yourselfer can fix?

tia.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:24 PM

Today, on a dry day (there was dew in the morning), I put the window down and it wouldn't go back up. The buzzing/clicking sound I described earlier when the window button is pressed seems to be coming from under the dash board (behind the radio) or under the hood near the fire wall. The manual says the fuse box is under the hood. Could a fuse be the cause?

If so, is there a specific fuse for the windows?

tia.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:11 AM

If you can hear a clicking noise, I would think that the motor is working, so not a fuse, or electrical problem.

What area are you from? Because I'm thinking it might be more of a temperature thing, being that it is cooler in the AM and then the window works later in the day, after it get warmer. Cooler temperatures will defiantly effect regulator / track system.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:07 PM

I live in the South. I put the window down yesterday morning and despite numerous tries, it will not go up.

Today, I confirmed the clicking sound is coming from inside the fuse box.

I turned on the dome light. When I hold down the down switch, the dome light flickers. When I hold down the up switch, the dome light does not flicker. Instead, I hear a series of clicks coming from the fuse box. These clicks stop after a few seconds. When I let go of the up switch, I hear the same clicking sound in the fuse box, but it is only a single click. If I hit the down switch, I hear the normal sound of the window trying to move (this sound comes from the door, not the fuse box).

Hope this all makes sense to someone out there.

Thanks to all who have replied with suggestions to help me resolve this matter.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dome light gets dim because the window motor is drawing power. Probably overloading as it's trying to get the window up and is not able. Could even be overheating the window motor. The clicking from the fuse box area might be a relay that's intermittently cycling as the motor is drawing too much power. The regulator is the part that lifts the window or takes it down. It's definitely getting hung up but it sounds like all it needs is some lubrication. If you're under warranty go to the dealer. If not, a good window glass place should be able to resolve the problem.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Right on cue, like magic, the window went back up when I hit the button at lunch time. This is leading me to believe there must be a short in the up wire somehere between the window switch, fuse box and/or window motor. I've read that repeated door use can cause wires to break. My guess would be the boot in between the door and body. I spose the switch harness could have a bad connection as well.

Does anyone know the color of the "up" wire?

Also, has anyone ever replaced the plug where the window switch plugs in?

tia.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Does anyone know which wire is which for the window switch?

There are 3

Green and White
Blue and White
Brown

thanks.