Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

New 4 post lift

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New 4 post lift

Windward - couple of questions as I am planning on a lift in the near future (and probably from Greg Smith-Indy as well):
1) Did you buy one of the Pro Park models (made by DirectLift)?
2) I think you said it went together fairly easy - any lessons learned during the install?
3) Anything in retrospect you would do differently or things you suggest I double check or look at more closely?
4) The tech manual for the Pro Park says 8000lbs at a minimum 100" wheelbase - the Crossfire is obviously shorter than that - and obviously weighs around 3200# - any issues with this or did you discuss it with anyone at Greg Smith (I assume not)?

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Went to New York's, Astor Theater to see the Blue Man Group. The cities pay parking lots actually use these for weekly parking. Squirrel Crusher

Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest regret is failing to consider ceiling height when I remodeled and built my garage, the eibach spring install could have taken half the time this weekend...

Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bflinn
Windward - couple of questions as I am planning on a lift in the near future (and probably from Greg Smith-Indy as well):
1) Did you buy one of the Pro Park models (made by DirectLift)?
2) I think you said it went together fairly easy - any lessons learned during the install?
3) Anything in retrospect you would do differently or things you suggest I double check or look at more closely?
4) The tech manual for the Pro Park says 8000lbs at a minimum 100" wheelbase - the Crossfire is obviously shorter than that - and obviously weighs around 3200# - any issues with this or did you discuss it with anyone at Greg Smith (I assume not)?

Thanks.
1. Yes. Bought a Pro Park Plus.
2. There were a lot of drill shavings around all of the pulleys so I took them apart and cleaned them while I was assembling the lift. Took extra time. I cut down the end stop plates so if I pulled on too far the front air dam on the X Fire or Vette would not hit the wheel stops before the wheels did.
3. Can not think of anything.
4. I assume that is a maximum. With my vehicles weighing less than half the capacity I do not worry about the loading. The platform does not bend any with either the X Fire or Vette. The lift does not struggle at all to lift them.

I had the lift delivered. It saved the sales tax since I live in Ohio. The cylinder seals are starting to leak. They sent a new cylinder packing but I have not attempted to install it yet. Only leaks when lift is all the way up. Comes out of the vent. The oil is getting past the piston and getting on the empty side of the cylinder since these are single acting cylinders. Just comes out of the vent. A little discouraging.

Hope that helps.

Brent

Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Bat

Originally Posted by Windward
... The cylinder seals are starting to leak. They sent a new cylinder packing but I have not attempted to install it yet. Only leaks when lift is all the way up. Comes out of the vent. The oil is getting past the piston and getting on the empty side of the cylinder since these are single acting cylinders. Just comes out of the vent. A little discouraging...
Bladecutter and I are seriously considering a lift for our garage. Was wondering if you had any theories on what is causing the cylinders to leak (bad quality parts or just luck of the draw)? Approximately six months of usage is pretty short time for seals to start leaking. I can definitely understand your discouragement and would appreciate hearing whether the new cylinder packing/seals solves the problem for you.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bat

Bladecutter and I are seriously considering a lift for our garage. Was wondering if you had any theories on what is causing the cylinders to leak (bad quality parts or just luck of the draw)? Approximately six months of usage is pretty short time for seals to start leaking. I can definitely understand your discouragement and would appreciate hearing whether the new cylinder packing/seals solves the problem for you.

I have not taken it apart yet but the other times I have found a issue like this the piston seal was cut during assembly. I hope the cylinder bore is smooth and good. These lifts are built in China so I guess you get what you pay for.

Sorry for the late reply, I am on the road for work.

Last edited by Windward; 05-27-2009 at 12:03 AM.