Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Fit or finished, Owner not the car

Old 10-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fit or finished, Owner not the car

I have loved the look of these wonderful little cars since they came out dressed up as a Chrysler product. The standard features that it offers at a far better price than a Benz, yet unrespected by many in the automobile community. I feel it was and always has been a well overlooked bargain to enjoy.
I have located a new 08 Conv, with the automatic. Of course I figure the benifit of buying new would be the lifetime powertrain warranty that comes with the car.
I understand that the car has a few maintance issues, the most complained about seem to be the cost of oil changes as well as the cost of replacing tires which seem to need being done at about 25,000 mile. Another drawback is the no spare tire, rather a patch kit and a can of air. Not bad in a perfect situation, but a real pain in the event of a blow out or a shredded tire.
Anyway sorry for getting long winded. Let me get back to the point at hand. I have only stopped and sat in a Crossfire one time. At that time it felt, shall I say cramped, snug, small, tight well you get the idea. However I did not take the time to try adjusting the seat angle and position in search for a comfortable sitting stance. I am 6' and 250 pounds, what are the chances that I could find a comfortable postion for enjoying both short as well as long drives in a Crossfire.
The car I have located is 1,200 miles away, so I would hate to buy it and be uncomfortable all the way home. I remember my first Ebay car purchase, flew to Tulsa, OK and drive home in a brand spanking new Plymouth Prowler, with my head rubbing the conv top metal bow all the way home for 5 hours. All in all, it was still fun!!
I have located a used Crossfire at a nearby dealer and I plan to go try it on for fit, but in the long run, over an extended period of time, am I just kidding myself. The car would be only used for fun, as a toy. But I do want the driving experiance to be fun, not uncomfortable.
So how about some honest feedback, please.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Fit or finished, Owner not the car

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. As to your question about fit and comfort. I'm 6'2" and was 250 lbs when I bought mine back in Oct. After owning PT Cruisers for the previous 7 years and almost sitting straight up with a ton of room, it was a little like trying to get into a sardine can,lol. But after playing with the 8 way driver seat and finding that "right grove" she fits like a glove. Now, when I get in my father's 300C, I feel like I'm too exposed! They do take a little getting used to, but they are more than worth it in the long run. You don't just sit in a Crossfire, you put them on like your favorite shoes before a good long walk or run.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Banned

You'll be fine. Think of it as a cabin or a cockpit ... not your lazy-boy or a couch.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya you will be ok. I am 6"2" 230 and I also have a slipped disk. I drove my car from new york to florida last year and I was fine. I am also only 18 maybe that has something to do with it. Slipped disk came from playing football (worst day of my life).

Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwightdmagee
Think of it as a cabin or a cockpit ... not your lazy-boy or a couch.
That's a great way to look at it...

I'm 6'3" 280lbs. I fit in my SRT just fine...

...now when I put a helmet on at the track, that becomes a bit of a tight squeeze...

Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Morning,
Did you try moving the stearing wheel in? Sometimes that helps with the feel of the seat. I just got my 05 Alabaster Roadster, and that adjustment seemed to help the fit like a glove part, as well as the 8 way seat. You just have to play with it.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 AM
AlG
Forum Regular

Took me about three months to get the right seating position in my roadster and I'm only 5'10 but once you do it it's not a problem. As for the tires...I have 36,000 + miles on my original Contis and expect to get at least another 10,000 out of them no problem.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM

I agree with all of the above, especially the cockpit feel. i'm 6-2 200, and when I first sat in one it was cramped, but then I played with the seats and found I had plenty of room, and the snug feeling makes me comfortable. Maintenance wise the oil changes get to be a tad pricey, they charge me $80 to do, but that's only every 7K and if I did it myself it would be about 50anyway due to the price of the syn oil. I don't think that's too bad all in all. And yes the tires are pricey, but so are almost all tires today. Min 500 on my wife's tribute so what are we really talking about in the long run-not that much. Overall the car is a sweetheart and IMO the best value on the entire planet. I wish i could get another one. If mine, heaven forbids gets totalled, I will absolutely buy another in a heartbeat.