Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Newcomer's MOD advice

Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Newcomer's MOD advice

Yo I'm a new member, purchased my Crossfire in April 2011.

The car is 5sp auto and stock. I need some advice on Modifications. I wanna boost the 215hp to 350+. Im plannin on a V8 installation a couple years down the line, so until then I wanna make the smaller additions to my ride.

Supercharger/Turbo?

What catback systems r preferred?

Which intake w/intercooler do your recommend?

Any additional recommend would b much appreciated.

Does anyone have any idea of how to convert the base/limited model as close as possible to the Street Racing Technology version. N dont use the "add a supercharger" answer.

Best,
Rax

Last edited by RaxCrossfire; 09-12-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Newcomer's MOD advice

If you know that you are going to install a V-8 down the line, I would not waste one red cent on the current powertrain.

You'll end up spending between $1,000-$2,000 just to make it quick~ish, and you will only be that much $$$ away from getting the V-8 installed.

If you truly must spend money now, put it towards a Wavetrac differential, braking, and suspension. Those upgrades will need to be made down the road anyways, and you won't be wasting money on a motor you don't plan to keep.

FWIW, unless you're doing all of the work yourself and the parts can be procured for cheap, you can expect to pay north of $15,000 for the motor swap. It's no cat-back installation...

Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What He said! Readying Your car for the Motor swap would be a much better choice With very little reasearch You will find out that it isVery difficult to get signifigant gains on the m112.
Originally Posted by JHM2K
If you know that you are going to install a V-8 down the line, I would not waste one red cent on the current powertrain.

You'll end up spending between $1,000-$2,000 just to make it quick~ish, and you will only be that much $$$ away from getting the V-8 installed.

If you truly must spend money now, put it towards a Wavetrac differential, braking, and suspension. Those upgrades will need to be made down the road anyways, and you won't be wasting money on a motor you don't plan to keep.

FWIW, unless you're doing all of the work yourself and the parts can be procured for cheap, you can expect to pay north of $15,000 for the motor swap. It's no cat-back installation...

Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 PM

Thank you both for the insight, I see your point.

I was thinkin the typical Brembo brake package. U know anything about the conversion? Easy or time consuming?

Either Eibach/K-sport suspension with tension rods.

I checked out the Wavetrac, just gotta find a dealer near by, Im lookin towards Germany as quick solution. Trouble is i'll have to be ordering alota these parts n installing them here. However on the positive side, labor is cheap, n there are plenty of privately owned garages.

N e recommended motor-swaps? I've been lookin towards an SL55 AMG. However ive heard the dodge Hemi V8 installation is possible, just takes a little more effort.

Thanks
Rax

Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I think You are on the right track! Where are You located? Most of the Parts We are using come from right here in America.

The 55 seems to be the popular choice for conversion. The Hemi V-8 involved a whole new front end!

Just search this site for detailed info on particular projects.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RaxCrossfire
I was thinkin the typical Brembo brake package. U know anything about the conversion? Easy or time consuming?
Brembo package is all-inclusive, but $$$ and you only get the front brakes if I'm not mistaken. A much cheaper, but more time consuming, solution is to source a SLK55 AMG brake setup. There are other calipers that will work, but the SLK55's brake hardware is a direct swap. I'll see if Steve can chime in with the exact part numbers of the front 6-pot calipers, as there is one version that mounts to a 360mm rotor, and one that uses 345mm hats. The latter is much more beneficial, as you can utilize aftermarket rotors. The rears use 330mm rotors with a 4-pot setup...

Either Eibach/K-sport suspension with tension rods.
Best suspension for the $$$ as far as performance is concerned is the Koni/SRT combo... Eibachs lower the car nicely, but the ride is a bit soft and track times, if applicable, will suffer. H&R makes a nice set of swaybars, but the rear is a PITA to install. However, if you're doing axle work, it would be a perfect time to kill two birds.

I checked out the Wavetrac, just gotta find a dealer near by, Im lookin towards Germany as quick solution. Trouble is i'll have to be ordering alota these parts n installing them here. However on the positive side, labor is cheap, n there are plenty of privately owned garages.
Are you located in Germany? Search the forums for the Wavetrac build thread, and jump into the discussion. They might be able to work something out...

N e recommended motor-swaps? I've been lookin towards an SL55 AMG. However ive heard the dodge Hemi V8 installation is possible, just takes a little more effort.

Thanks
Rax
Sent Rudy (rcompart) a PM... He can advise you as to which years/motors will best suit your goals. I will say, you should stay with MB motors for the best fit & finish. Rudy is a stand-up guy and is one of the nicest gentlemen you'll meet. You will want to get him involved on your swap, no doubt about it.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 AM

Brembo package is all-inclusive, but $$$ and you only get the front brakes if I'm not mistaken. A much cheaper, but more time consuming, solution is to source a SLK55 AMG brake setup. There are other calipers that will work, but the SLK55's brake hardware is a direct swap. I'll see if Steve can chime in with the exact part numbers of the front 6-pot calipers, as there is one version that mounts to a 360mm rotor, and one that uses 345mm hats. The latter is much more beneficial, as you can utilize aftermarket rotors. The rears use 330mm rotors with a 4-pot setup...
Your right about the brembo's, front brakes only. Bast***s wanna charge between 4.2-.5 K for em. The rotors on the front seem a lil large at 360mm i know stock the car runs around 300 so the 360 should just be pushin 13''. I know the larger rotor, the bigger the surface area therefore better heat displacement. Got any idea where i could find the SLK55 setup? e-link? It's Plug n play for the SLK's or drill n slot?

Best suspension for the $$$ as far as performance is concerned is the Koni/SRT combo... Eibachs lower the car nicely, but the ride is a bit soft and track times, if applicable, will suffer. H&R makes a nice set of swaybars, but the rear is a PITA to install. However, if you're doing axle work, it would be a perfect time to kill two birds.
Sounds promising. I got an option between the Eibach pro/ the Sportline's for suspension. (w/o havin to place an order n have it shipped) U recommend the sway's before the V8 swap? Got any idea about the adjustable sways? I gotta modify the axel in the future for the V8, make sure it can handle the extra torque; just wonderin if the sways will be effected w/the increased weight..

Are you located in Germany? Search the forums for the Wavetrac build thread, and jump into the discussion. They might be able to work something out....
Originally Posted by [B
05roadsterguy[/B]]
Originally Posted by [B
Now I think You are on the right track! Where are You located?

Nice, will look into it. I'm in Bahrain, middle east, so if i were to order a part the shipping would be the only issue. Got some friends with DOD addresses which might be able to facilitate gettin alota my parts

Sent Rudy (rcompart) a PM... He can advise you as to which years/motors will best suit your goals. I will say, you should stay with MB motors for the best fit & finish. Rudy is a stand-up guy and is one of the nicest gentlemen you'll meet. You will want to get him involved on your swap, no doubt about it.
Awesome bro thanks. After discoverin the compatibility between the Merc's n the XF's I've been drawn towards the Benzes. I wanna take this car back to its German roots.

Rax