Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Low tire pressure light

Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 PM
rbp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low tire pressure light

The low tire pressure light stays on in my 2005 roadster. Tire pressure is ok and tire store says that it should automatically reset, but it doesnt. Any ideas

Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: Low tire pressure light

[quote=rbp]The low tire pressure light stays on in my 2005 roadster. Tire pressure is ok and tire store says that it should automatically reset, but it doesnt. Any ideas[/quote
Lots of ideas but the details you give are non existent.
New tires? New TPM sensors? ??????

Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

If it is the original tires and wheels, the batterys in the TPMs are porbably going bad. They are 7 years old.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
If it is the original tires and wheels, the batterys in the TPMs are porbably going bad. They are 7 years old.
The batteries are supposed to be good for ten years, and we do not know what has been done to the car. He mentions self setting, what did he have done?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is unfortunate but true that if you swap (rotate) tires side-to-side you will lose programming for the TPMS system.

Right?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
It is unfortunate but true that if you swap (rotate) tires side-to-side you will lose programming for the TPMS system.

Right?
Right, my tire installer knew that when the new tires were put on. He said the sensors had to go back on the same hub location or they would need recalibrating.
Maybe some tire people do not know yet. Maybe they are just getting used to these new fangled tubeless tires.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My TPMS indicator has been on for years in my roadster, and I know the pressure is good because I manually check is frequently. What is this about calibration after rotating side-to-side? I do remove, clean, and rotate the tires every year. How do you calibrate them?

I also do this on my SRT6 and the TPMS is off. And we have done it on my son's 2007 coupe - also no TPMS indicator. So I am not convinced this is a calibration problem.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 399 Likes on 342 Posts

I have owned my XF for over 2 1/2 years and two rotations of tires side-to-side. Never have had a TPMS indicator go off. Only time they went off was weather getting real cold which set off the sensors low pressure. Quick air in em and all reset. No problems rotating them at all.

I don't get this 'recalibrate' after rotation thing. They don't even tell you which tire is low, if they did I would understand the recalibrate thing.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 PM

If it is not the batteries in the sensor it may be moisture. When you air your tires up if the compressor is not drained of condensate water you can get water in the tire and it gets in the sensor and can cause it to fail. Just a thought, that's why you may have seen the nitrogen instead of air being offered. Nitrogen expands very little with heat, so the tire pressure is more constant.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dtinker
If it is not the batteries in the sensor it may be moisture. When you air your tires up if the compressor is not drained of condensate water you can get water in the tire and it gets in the sensor and can cause it to fail. Just a thought, that's why you may have seen the nitrogen instead of air being offered. Nitrogen expands very little with heat, so the tire pressure is more constant.
That is not quite true, the difference between air and nitrogen vary very little in their reaction to heat.
The majority of the gas in air is nitrogen 78%, the rest is mostly oxygen 21%.
The benefit is the dryness of the nitrogen gas used at the tire store or whatever.
Calibration is done in a fixed sequence going from one tire to the next. How long do they last, the target was 10 years but any individual battery may not last that long or may last longer. Not only the sensor can fail but also the reciever as well.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM

I stand corrected. The big thing is the moisture.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 PM

My "05 SRT has the same problem--garage kept, used on weekends or good weather & the light goes on!

Do the run flat tires come into the equation?

A quick stop at the air pump resolves the problem or is it masking a bigger problem?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could the magic of a battery disconect for a couple of minuits reset the CPU and the sensor's??
Not sure if run flats are available for the original rims,last time I searched nothing was available in stock run flats

Last edited by Sandgrounder; 02-10-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensors do have to be reset at times. I broke one of mine and my dealer didn't have the tool to have it calibrated. He had to bring the car to his other dealership so they could do it. Took only a few minutes. This is not unique to our cars. It's on all of them.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do the run flat tires come into the equation?

Not unless they're aftermarket ............no runflats on crossfires from the factory, that is why we have the compressor and the fix-a-flat

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Discount tire put third set of rears on for me (96K miles for 3 sets total) and this is the first time the sensor has stayed on after about 100 miles. Took it back twice and they said they don't have Chryslers code to do whatever they have to do....Light went out for about 50 -100 miles and then went back on. Dealer will want probably about 80-130 bucks to "scan" and I keep thinking since it did go off for a while it might be a short from a wire? touching.
Any body with this occurrence?
Thanks,
tjinaz

Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tjinaz
Discount tire put third set of rears on for me (96K miles for 3 sets total) and this is the first time the sensor has stayed on after about 100 miles. Took it back twice and they said they don't have Chryslers code to do whatever they have to do....Light went out for about 50 -100 miles and then went back on. Dealer will want probably about 80-130 bucks to "scan" and I keep thinking since it did go off for a while it might be a short from a wire? touching.
Any body with this occurrence?
Thanks,
tjinaz
Assuming you have the correct tire pressure in all wheels, then you should not have this problem IF the wheels were put back so that the sensor stayed in the same location as it was before. There is a chance you had a sensor(s) damaged by the installer or a battery coincidentally died at the same time as the tire change, which is too much of a coincidence.

I had my tires changed this past summer and the light did not come on at all. Why should it as there is no difference to the settings to what it was before the tires were changed. My tire installer asked if the sensors had to go in the same location as they came off and I said that they did.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have switched my tires all around just to see if the light would come on and it didnt for me. So location is not an issue as long as there are on the car and working.

And my light does work because I also used rims and tires with out sensors and my light did come on

One80 is right, tire guy must have damaged it. Which is an easy thing to do when taking tires on or off.

Unless you were driving on a flat tire... that would destroy it also

so many factors....

Last edited by Beaner; 12-01-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Beaner
I have switched my tires all around just to see if the light would come on and it didnt for me. So location is not an issue as long as there are on the car and working.

And my light does work because I also used rims and tires with out sensors and my light did come on

One80 is right, tire guy must have damaged it. Which is an easy thing to do when taking tires on or off.

so many factors....
This is good to know. When the guy asked me if it made any difference I said yes as I was not sure. As they are programmed in a set pattern I thought it might affect the operation.

Now we know.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaner

so many factors....
I mentioned location didn't matter way back when.. Wifes tahoe thinks the fronts are the rears and vice versa.. and it's way smarter than the Crossfires. The "sequence" activation is better than "just ***** nilly it" for a manual..
The only way I can see where it's needed for proper sequence would be if the computer was hooked up it could then tell you which wheel sensor is not responding, but they have the handheld systems that are supposed to read each wheels signal anyways..

Quick Reply: Low tire pressure light