Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Top beeping as if it is not properly up...

Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Top beeping as if it is not properly up...

Is anyone else having any issues with their top beeping as if it is open even when it is properly raised and latched? I am not sure if it has to do with the one touch button that I have installed in my car. The one touch button works perfectly sometimes and the top does not cause beeping, but then other times it will beep all the the time even when the top is in the full upright position and the latch is locked down properly. Sometimes I can get the beeping to stop if I drop the top and then put it up again, but it seems to be getting worse.

The beeping will continue for quite some time while I am driving. The car seems to think that the top is open for some reason.

Bad latch sensor?
Bad rear hatch sensor?

I saw the other posts that were somewhat related to this topic, but none with a resolution.

Any Advice?
Thx

Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Top beeping as if it is not properly up...

Another user was having beep issues that sound like yours. I suggested disconnecting the battery to let system "reset" for about 15 minutes. He came back with a thank you and no further complaints.. Free and easy to do...

Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

The fact that it seems to "come and go" makes me want to tell you to just get a new battery.
Other than that, be sure the battery terminals are clean, clean, CLEAN!

The sensor in the top and the one for the divider would not cause this.
The sensor in the windshield frame would cause this, and the light in the top switch would light as well.
Is the light in the switch lit at the times that the beeping occurs?

I don't think it's the one-touch module.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same issue for about 8 months now. When I put the top up and latch it, it might start beeping. Other times it will start after I hit a bump while driving. The mechanic diagnosed it as the sensor in the drivers side header. Next it was the guides being worn. Because it does not do this all the time, fixes seem to have worked for a while but no cure yet.
I had noticed that after I put the top up and it beeps, when I unlock it, the hydraulic cylinders seemed to have backed off a bit and I have to run the top up cycle for a couple secounds then it is ok. I believe the fluid is leaking and allowing the tension in the cylinder to relese.
A couple weeks ago the system started making a really bad whining / screeching sound and stopped working. The mechanic determined it was out of fluid, so they filled it and it worked, but they couldn't find a leak. The day after I picked it up, the beeping ocurred and the screeching is coming back. I am positive that the hydraulic system is the problem.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been quite a while, but, the beeping issue finally seems to be resolved. The issue continued intermittently for about a year. I brought it in to the dealership's service dept. at least six times and they kept diagnosing various minor issues. Then the hydraulics system ran dry, but, they determined it was not leaking. FINALLY, the system just shut down (thank the lord for showing mercy). They found that the pump was bad, so, they installed a new one plus new cylinders . Then it got fun because the original control unit doesn't interface with the newer version pump, so, throw in a new control module. In the end, two & a half weeks plus $6,000.00 = fully functional top with no beep.... well, at least she waited until the next day before it started again. At that point I blew a gasket, slammed on the brakes and pulled on the side of the road. I popped the top, ran the 'up' cycle to reset it, yanked the handle extremely hard and latched it down.

It's been three months now and no more beeping.

By the way, did I mention just how happy I am that I bought the $2,000 extended warranty when I got her? So far over $10K in covered repairs. Dispite that, of all the cars I have owned, this is my favorite. Even so, I wasn't willing to chance it once the wty runs out. I was actually planning on selling her before the warranty ran out, BUT, Chrysler must really know how much I love her. They have offered me another 5 years / 75,000 miles. Didn't think twice, just signed on the dotted line.

Looking forward to a lot more road trips!!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtop73
[...] Then the hydraulics system ran dry, but, they determined it was not leaking. FINALLY, the system just shut down (thank the lord for showing mercy). They found that the pump was bad, so, they installed a new one plus new cylinders . Then it got fun because the original control unit doesn't interface with the newer version pump, so, throw in a new control module. In the end, two & a half weeks plus $6,000.00 = fully functional top with no beep.... well, at least she waited until the next day before it started again. At that point I blew a gasket, slammed on the brakes and pulled on the side of the road. I popped the top, ran the 'up' cycle to reset it, yanked the handle extremely hard and latched it down.
ragtop73,

wow, good thing this was covered under warranty!Thanks for updating the forum, and hope that's the end of your troubles for a while... :-)

For those readers who do not have warranty coverage, Top Hydraulics rebuilds ALL cylinders AND the hydraulic pumps. Our seals are far superior to the OEM material, which makes your old cylinders better than new ones for a fraction of the dealer price (if you can still get the cylinders from the dealer...)! Rebuild/Upgrade Service for Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Hydraulic Cylinders - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Having to replace or upgrade the hydraulic cylinders is part of owning a modern convertible. All cylinders will fail eventually (in all brands from Alfa to Chrysler to Rolls-Royce), unless the car gets wrecked prematurely. The original seals in any modern convertible's hydraulic cylinders will eventually fail on account of chemical decay. They are made out of a material that has limited shelf life, and it decays faster in heat or when exposed to water or certain chemicals. On most Crossfire cylinders, Top Hydraulics will actually replace six seals in total. Only two out of those six seals would be o-rings. (On the two locking cylinders, there are only five seals.) This is not a DIY repair. You cannot buy the seals, and it takes very specialized equipment to open and re-crimp the cylinders, or to replace the port seals on the locking cylinders.

We even manufacture hydraulic lines if one of yours accidentally gets cut.

There are seven hydraulic cylinders in your Crossfire roadster's convertible system:
- 2x main drive cylinder (they lift the top overhead)
- 2x bow tension cylinder (they move the rear bow up and down - the part with the window in it)
- 1x tonneau cover lock cylinder (it locks the storage cover)
- 1x rear bow lock cylinder (it locks the rear bow down)
- 1x tonneau cover lift cylinder (it lifts the storage cover up)

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Part number references:
Rear bow latch 05142957AA aka A 193 750 0184
Tonneau cover latch 05166559AA aka A 193 750 0183
Folding top rear bow hydraulic cylinder 05142640AA (left side)
Folding top rear bow hydraulic cylinder 05170014AA (right side)
Main drive cylinder 05142639AA (left side)
Main drive cylinder 05170015AA (right side)
Tonneau cover lift cylinder 05142641AA
Hydraulic pump 05142638AA

Last edited by TopHydraulics; 06-29-2013 at 06:34 PM.