Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

▄▀▄ Roadster Rear Window ▄▀▄

Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ▄▀▄ Roadster Rear Window ▄▀▄

I see there hasn't been any recent activity in regard to the Roadster rear window de-lamination issue.I am about to repair mine in an '06 for the first time.

I am wondering if anyone has used any of the "construction adhesives" i.e. Loctites PL which is sold at the BB stores? I read that several members have applied the 3M product with some good success.
I have used the PL commercial adhesives in the past with some amazing results; some which I never thought would hold. One example was on a stand-up jetski where the main steering hinge had separated from age. After applying the PL to both sides of the plastic, it held without any problem until I sold it 3 years later.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: ▄▀▄_Roadster Rear Window ▄▀▄

This should be a warranty issue. It was with the '05's, why not the '06's?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM

I went in to a Chrysler dealership and there is a "Service Bulletin" for 2005 Roadster rear window problems and they extended the warranty on the top only. They will replace it for free if it is covered in the warranty; however, it only applies to eight states of "original delivery." You might want to check it out. The vin number will let the dealer know if your car was from one of those eight states.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can't get Chrysler to replace it, there's a sticky thread for a DYI repair:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...em-solved.html

Or maybe you can temp fix to hold you over until Chrysler replaces it.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by campbellrv
I went in to a Chrysler dealership and there is a "Service Bulletin" for 2005 Roadster rear window problems and they extended the warranty on the top only. They will replace it for free if it is covered in the warranty; however, it only applies to eight states of "original delivery."
Eight states? Like hell !
That has been contested successfully ... I can't remember who it was, but someone showed up here a while back and learned from us about the warranty and fought the good fight - and Chrysler eventually caved.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Administrator

I had the PM's from them., but I deleted a bunch of them some time ago....

Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used gorilla glue. Had prop rods wedged in between the window and the rear tonneau to hold it in until it dried a few hours later. Worked quite well but didn't look the best as that stuff expands when it dries. I think I had it that way for about six months and then got the top replaced under the recall.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 AM

My rear window started to come off just last night on my '05. Do you think I have a chance to have Chrysler fix it? I'm not sure who is going to give me the most trouble about this, my wife or Chrysler.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by grayroadster
My rear window started to come off just last night on my '05. Do you think I have a chance to have Chrysler fix it? I'm not sure who is going to give me the most trouble about this, my wife or Chrysler.
It depends on which state the car was first delivered to. Your local Chrysler dealer can look up your Vin number. Tell them it is a "Service Bulletin" not a "Recall." It only applies to seven southern states; for so strange reason.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 AM

Due you have the info on the out of the golden state warranty repairs. Here in Ca, where they probably sold thousands of them, they aren't budging. My window is almost fully out of the car and causing damage to the paint on the tonneau. They are going to pay. It's is just a matter of when.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 AM

No, I do not have that info. My car was delivered in Florida so I assume it's safe to say it never saw CA.

I am approx. 75% done with the repair and I feel confident to say that it will outlast the factory job.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Anybody tried a letter to Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of Fiat which now owns the bulk of Chrysler. My 2005 Roadster was delivered to WA. Now in AZ I wonder if and when the back window will fall out. Only address I could find for Marchionne is PO Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004. Profits from Chrysler are keeping Fiat afloat right now.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 AM
Default Re: ▄▀▄ Roadster Rear Window ▄▀▄

There are times when you could waste more time & money chasing something when you could "do-it-yourself" or pay to get it done right. I spoke with a dealer and they seemed to be up to speed with this issue, But if it's not on their computer screen telling them to repair, then it just won't happen.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM

My 05 window started to come out this past July. I called Chrysler, they took the info and opened a case file. They told me to take it to my dealer. The dealer could not get me out of the shop fast enough. The extended warranty applies only to cars originally delivered to nine states, mostly in the south. Mine was originally shipped to the Mid-west, and I bought it used, so I did not qualify. I had to use a pillow to keep the window from falling out while I searched for a a solution. I found a shop that did car tops and upholstery. My options were a new top for about $1200, or $600 to remove the glass and replace it with plastic. I choose the low cost solution, since the top is in good shape and has quite a lot of life left.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 AM
Thumbs up Re: ▄▀▄ Roadster Rear Window ▄▀▄

Awesome...took my 2005 to Landmark Chrysler in GA and withing minutes they approved the replacement of my rear window. All I had to do was drive in the service stall, they took pictures and sent the info to Chrysler and with in two hours I received a call from Mr. Jamel Diamond that the replacement had been approved. I dropped my car off yesterday for a full replacement top. It will be ready for pick up on Thursday. I was expecting a battle after reading all the threads. I must have had an angle on my shoulder. New TOP DONE!!!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 AM

The gods must been smiling on you. GA is probably one of the states where the extended warranty applies.