Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

air bag control module

Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag control module

2008 Roadster. We had dealer replace multifunction switch. Switch works great, but air bag light stays on. Dealer said switch shorted control module. Dealer now says we need new switch and air bag control module. Anyone know the part # for the module and its location?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: air bag control module

Originally Posted by David C. Arnold
2008 Roadster. We had dealer replace multifunction switch. Switch works great, but air bag light stays on. Dealer said switch shorted control module. Dealer now says we need new switch and air bag control module. Anyone know the part # for the module and its location?
Dealer is probably lying, who would ever have thought that possible.
If the light was not on when you took it to the dealer they screwed up somehow and did it themselves. The switch and the air bag are not connected in any way, otherwise it would happen more often.

T
Also, the light comes on when you remove the steering wheel and air bag without disconnecting the battery, I cannot see a smart mechanic doing that but who ever said all mechanics where smart. If this was the reason then the dealership can reset the light and make it go out.

This dealer is screwing you every which way he can. This dealer would never see my car again. Complain to the higher ups at the dealer, the mechanic is covering his you know what.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Dealer is probably lying, who would ever have thought that possible.
If the light was not on when you took it to the dealer they screwed up somehow and did it themselves. The switch and the air bag are not connected in any way, otherwise it would happen more often.

T
Also, the light comes on when you remove the steering wheel and air bag without disconnecting the battery, I cannot see a smart mechanic doing that but who ever said all mechanics where smart. If this was the reason then the dealership can reset the light and make it go out.

This dealer is screwing you every which way he can. This dealer would never see my car again. Complain to the higher ups at the dealer, the mechanic is covering his you know what.
I agree with this assessment of the situation.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Either way, if the light doesn't go off when SRS is reset it is likely the module that has died. You can get a used one off ebay for about 60 to 80 bucks and put it in yourself. It is located on the floor under the center stack of the console. 3 screws hold it in, as long as that light is on you have no airbags.

By the way, how many miles on your roadster? Mine went out at about 130k

Old 06-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Actually the a/b modules go bad rather often and they will definitely go bad if the airbag is not removed/replaced improperly. There is a sequence involved they requires the mechanic to remove the module FIRST then repair/place the airbag. Many dont follow the sequence and it causes the error light to display because now the module is toast. The dealership should incur the cost to replace the module because they didnt follow the sequence. In addition, the airbag will still operate properly even if the error light is lit. The airbag responds to sensor settings not the module. The module actually captures the data for downloading and communicates "intentions: between the airbags.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was T - boned. My airbag lite is on. I replaced the door without disconnecting the battery. The replacent door has sensor and airbag I got from salvage yard. The OBD reader wont communicate with ECU. Is my module fried? What do I do?
Originally Posted by ichon
Actually the a/b modules go bad rather(210) 499-0848 often and they will definitely go bad if the airbag is not removed/replaced improperly. There is a sequence involved they requires the mechanic to remove the module FIRST then repair/place the airbag. Many dont follow the sequence and it causes the error light to display because now the module is toast. The dealership should incur the cost to replace the module because they didnt follow the sequence. In addition, the airbag will still operate properly even if the error light is lit. The airbag responds to sensor settings not the module. The module actually captures the data for downloading and communicates "intentions: between the airbags.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamenco2005
I was T - boned. My airbag lite is on. I replaced the door without disconnecting the battery. The replacent door has sensor and airbag I got from salvage yard. The OBD reader wont communicate with ECU. Is my module fried? What do I do?
You'll have to go to the dealer to get the light turned off if the reason was removing an air bag while the battery power was on.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by philosophico
Either way, if the light doesn't go off when SRS is reset it is likely the module that has died. You can get a used one off ebay for about 60 to 80 bucks and put it in yourself. It is located on the floor under the center stack of the console. 3 screws hold it in, as long as that light is on you have no airbags.

By the way, how many miles on your roadster? Mine went out at about 130k
Do you know where to find a diagram showing the module and how to get to it, I have a 2007, light came on, see codes attached in picture, if you have any suggestions or help it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crossfire codes.jpg (2.49 MB, 23 views)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Can't really read but sounds like sensors. I suspect if the module failed you would get a communications error. To get those codes the scanner had to be able to talk to the ORC (not all that claim to can).

Is the Snap-on able to reset the codes ? I'd suggest a reset and see if it comes back. For an '07 are you aware of the Star bulletin ?

Old 06-19-2020, 04:48 PM

My battery died and so di the a/b module. Local mechanic (with computer diagnostics) tried to reset the light. Went to dealer with a xfire tech also tried, still no avail. Now looking far a module. Checked online and ebay. Open to suggestions. Thanks

Old 06-19-2020, 06:06 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Beagle
My battery died and so di the a/b module. Local mechanic (with computer diagnostics) tried to reset the light. Went to dealer with a xfire tech also tried, still no avail. Now looking far a module. Checked online and ebay. Open to suggestions. Thanks

I would first suggest you start your own post. Then list EVERYTHING you think happened so that the membership can try to diagnose what might be wrong. Reason I say this, a local mechanic sent you to the dealer, the dealer has NO IDEA wth could be wrong with your car (in my opinion). So, list what, where, when, and as much of why you can. Your chances on fixing it are way better if you FORGET everything that has happened (concerning what others say is wrong or broken) and follow the above advice. We all would like to help but we need a lot more information as asked above!

The following users liked this post:
Beagle (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 07:42 PM

Thanks GG. There are so many threads dealing with this, I thought another thread would be over kill.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Beagle
Thanks GG. There are so many threads dealing with this, I thought another thread would be over kill.
Understood. But if you want diagnostic advice, it is best to start at the beginning, with a new thread all your own.
It just works better that way. It is too easy for us to read thru posts and confuse posts made by you and by others, etc.

On a related note, my seatbelt module was zapped when I tried to put the top up without the engine running. Electrical issues with our cars are simply too common.