Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Fuel door won't lock

Old 07-28-2018, 02:15 PM
P-J
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fuel door won't lock

I originally posted this to an existing fuel door issue thread before I realized it was on the SRT6 page, so sorry for the duplication.

After arriving at work the other day I pressed the key fob to lock the doors and nothing happened. Thought maybe the fob had dead batteries, not the case as I walked around to the back of the car hit the fob and the lights flashed. So I manually locked the doors but this does not lock the trunk. This morning I took off the right rear trunk panel and the Styrofoam insert on the floor deck to expose the air pump, started the car and tried to listen for an air leak...nothing I could hear with the exhaust blowing on my legs. I then lowered the windows, car still running, and hit the manual lock button on the center stack, doors and trunk lock but the I am able to open the fuel door when everything else locks. The service manual is a little vague on the fuel door operation other than describing how to remove the locking part near the gas cap to then pull out the lock actuator. Before I attempt this has anyone else experienced this issue of the fuel door not locking. I am assuming because of this issue that is why I can not lock the car? Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ

Last edited by P-J; 07-28-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: tried adding photos
Old 07-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fuel door won't lock

Hit the actuator w/WD40 or similar. Is it getting air or leak in the line? If you have the panel out it should be easy to see. If not there's an access on the right side for emergency opening of the gas door. If the lights are blinking its trying to activate the alarm system. The siren is a problem , that causes gremlins that are hard to find. Disconnect the siren an see if that makes the system function properly. The pump will push air without the engine running Just a few tips..

Last edited by Steve Jr; 07-28-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by P-J
I originally posted this to an existing fuel door issue thread before I realized it was on the SRT6 page, so sorry for the duplication.

After arriving at work the other day I pressed the key fob to lock the doors and nothing happened. Thought maybe the fob had dead batteries, not the case as I walked around to the back of the car hit the fob and the lights flashed. So I manually locked the doors but this does not lock the trunk. This morning I took off the right rear trunk panel and the Styrofoam insert on the floor deck to expose the air pump, started the car and tried to listen for an air leak...nothing I could hear with the exhaust blowing on my legs. I then lowered the windows, car still running, and hit the manual lock button on the center stack, doors and trunk lock but the I am able to open the fuel door when everything else locks. The service manual is a little vague on the fuel door operation other than describing how to remove the locking part near the gas cap to then pull out the lock actuator. Before I attempt this has anyone else experienced this issue of the fuel door not locking. I am assuming because of this issue that is why I can not lock the car? Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ
If all of this is factual and you have not become confused in your description of symptoms, I'd say you have two issues:
1) The key fob you are using needs new batteries or complete replacement.
2) The pump has a real problem. (You mention the trunk didnt lock when it should have and the fuel door lock is not working.)
I while you may have a leaky hose to the fuel door, you may also have a problem with the pump. Just keep in mind that you can suck or blow into the individual hoses and manually lock/unlock each lock. If you can't lock/unlock any one location, look for sluggish mechanism at the lock end or a leaky hose.

One more note - I do not understand why you started the engine to troubleshoot the pump. The engine running has nothing to do with this. The pump does two things: 1) It creates pressure. 2) It creates vacuum. (One is for locking, one for unlocking - but I cant remember which is which.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-28-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

It sure gets confusing when there are two posts asking exactly the same question. I will not answer any post in this new thread as I am confused enough, good luck.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 PM
P-J
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the additional tips on this issue...I posted my resolution to this post on the SRT6 page "Stuck Fuel Door", where I originally asked my questions. Sorry for the confusion over the double posting, I won't make that mistake again.