Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Top won't stop beeping

Old 10-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Top won't stop beeping

I need some help from the top experts. All of a sudden when putting my top up it keeps beeping after I latch the top. When I put it down everything works fine. When I put it up the light in the switch stays on when it beeps to tell me the cycle is complete. When I pull the top down the last 5 inches or so and seat it in the windshield frame the light starts to flash and it keeps beeping until I start putting it back down. Seems like a sensor that tells it it is closed and latched is not getting the message. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? When I unlatch it, the windows go down and everything works normal.

Thanks
Doug

Last edited by ZERACER; 10-18-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Top won't stop beeping

Symptoms kinda sound like the "top released switch", the one in the top frame above the passenger's right ear is not working correctly.
It is a microswitch that has a sliding actuator.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:26 PM

Thanks ala_xfire

I'm familiar with it however my understanding is, if that sensor isn't working the top won't go down. The top functions perfectly, the beeper just starts after the going up cycle is complete and the top is latched. Everything else works fine. After about a minute or so it stops beeping but the light on the up / down switch stays on. Eventually it will drain the battery.

Last edited by ZERACER; 10-18-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: wanted to thank
Old 10-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Thanks ala_xfire

I'm familiar with it however my understanding is, if that sensor isn't working the top won't go down. The top functions perfectly, the beeper just starts after the going up cycle is complete and the top is latched. Everything else works fine. After about a minute or so it stops beeping but the light on the up / down switch stays on. Eventually it will drain the battery.
NO.
It is telling you that the cycle is NOT complete.
  1. So, when you release the top to put it down, do the windows go down? If not, the latch switch is bad.
  2. If the windows go down, there are a few other things that "complete the cycle".
    1. The top switch George mentions - that switch must open when the top is pulled down and latched to the roof.
    2. The electric lock must move all the way to the "unlock" position and report this to the TCM - I doubt this one is it.
    3. The Bow Latch sensor must indicate that the bow latch is secure - I have not heard of this sensor failing before.
    4. Probably a few other things I cant think of.
Ill mull it over the next few days...

Old 10-19-2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks Pizza Guy, as I said, everything works as it should including the windows going down when unlatching the top. The only snaffu is after latching the top it beeps and the light on the switch stays on. I figured if the latch in the windshield wasn't closed the windows would not go down when unlatching?

Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM

Okay, I took it for a short drive this morning with the top up and it beeped faster. I cycled it again and this time the windows failed to go down when I unlatched the top. to me this indicates the switch in the windshield is not working. Is there any kind of adjustment or replace only? Could it be an issue with the latches, although they seem to be working. Are there any instructions on how to replace the switch in the windshield?
Thanks for any help

Old 10-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Okay, I took it for a short drive this morning with the top up and it beeped faster. I cycled it again and this time the windows failed to go down when I unlatched the top. to me this indicates the switch in the windshield is not working. Is there any kind of adjustment or replace only? Could it be an issue with the latches, although they seem to be working. Are there any instructions on how to replace the switch in the windshield?
Thanks for any help
Replace only.
Probably not.
SOMEONE went thru this a few years ago, not sure how to find the thread.

Anyway, I think we can assume that the latch switch is acting up. The trim on the TOP comes off, if I remember right.
IT may be explained in the service manual. Too bad this never happened to Charlie in ATL, he'd had figured it out and spread the word.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:54 PM

I've been looking and haven't found any direction on getting to that switch. I ordered a replacement. If anyone know how to remove the top of the windshield header to get at the switch, please let me know.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:06 PM

New update, same problem. I changed out the sensor on the windshield frame and it still beeps after cycling. Also the windows do not go down when unlatching the top. Everything else seems to work as as it shoud. Pizza Guy, do you think manually outting the top up and down c couple of times might help?

Old 10-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Please help if you can. Any ideas??

Old 10-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Well. I really screwed up now. sprung a major hydraulic leak somewhere on the driver side. I don't know where to go next. I guess pull the trunk apart.