Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Does your convertible top leak at all?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your convertible top leak at all?

I own a hardtop 2004 Crossfire. But I wonder about the convertible top models. They are now between 11 -15 years old. Did most of you have to replace them by now and did they when new or now have issues with water leaks because of the convertible tops?

Old 12-28-2018, 08:28 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Does your convertible top leak at all?

I have never had a leak issue, but I did replace the top under the extended warranty for window separation 4 years ago.
If the top material is kept in shape with 303 then there should never be any leaks.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-fabric-guard/

Last edited by ala_xfire; 12-28-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Same here. My 05 Graphite had 116,000 when it was lost - never a leak.
The SE has never leaked but I DO need a new top, I've reglued the window three times.

Once I get the new top on, I'm considering selling for an SRT6 Roadster. That would be convertible #4 for me.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one of the first roadsters built and I live in Vancouver (a rain forest!!) and still have the original top. I have bought a new one just to be on the safe side. My car has spent a lot of time out doors and in the rain and seems to be holding up just fine - I haven't had any window issues either. Only thing that has worn are the inside elastic tension straps. (which I will replace when the top is done.)

Old 12-29-2018, 12:13 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I have two roadsters and have purchased tops for both of them, the group buys were just too good of a price to pass up. Installed one to solve a window issue and change color. Top on the other car is in good shape, fabric and window. Both are 05s.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Same here. My 05 Graphite had 116,000 when it was lost - never a leak.
The SE has never leaked but I DO need a new top, I've reglued the window three times.

Once I get the new top on, I'm considering selling for an SRT6 Roadster. That would be convertible #4 for me.
Where and when did this revelation occur, was there a blinding flash of light?
I was converted when I had a ride in Rudy’s SRT at Woodward, you could say I saw the light. One year later I had one.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Original top (56k miles) and no leakage whatsoever. Also - garaged all it's life, just a summer driver, and I avoid rainy days to keep it clean. But when caught in the rain, the top is solid.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:22 PM

Now that we know the Cross fire convertibles do not generally leak and the tops can last a long time, let me ask another question. I do not have a garage. Has anyone left their Crossfire convertible exposed to the elements for 12-15 years and still have a no leak, not worn out top? I hear the Ski and Solstice leak like a sieve.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine leaks, in addition to the back window having fallen out....so it REALLY leaks now. Chrysler did have a recall for it for a little while. I have to keep the car covered.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Where and when did this revelation occur, was there a blinding flash of light?
I was converted when I had a ride in Rudy’s SRT at Woodward, you could say I saw the light. One year later I had one.
Jeff loaned me Howard Carter's old AeroBlue roadster for the fall dragon this last October. Four days with that highly modded car and I was convinced.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mdcrossfire
Now that we know the Cross fire convertibles do not generally leak and the tops can last a long time, let me ask another question. I do not have a garage. Has anyone left their Crossfire convertible exposed to the elements for 12-15 years and still have a no leak, not worn out top? I hear the Ski and Solstice leak like a sieve.
The most someone could have left teh car out is fourteen years at this point.

FEW of us leave ours outside. Mine was outside for almost four years with no issue, but if you live in the south where it gets warm and the sun is strong, even if you treat it twice a year, the top will have a limited lifespan. Remember, it's a FABRIC top.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 AM

I bought a 2007 last year .the roof and window is in good shape no leak and I try to take car of the top as the rest of the car . store in garage

Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 AM

Living by the Texas gulf coast, rain is a frequent occurrence. Despite regular treatment of the top, it leaks. Whenever I open it after a good rain, there is water in the top rails.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 AM

Sorry to hear that. I don't have much experience in the field as I only had my car for 6 months. wish i could help. Hope someone else can.Good luck.. Rene.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 PM

I need to replace my convertible top as well. Although the fabric is watertight, the door seals leak and the back window has fallen out. I can't find anyone in the Reno area who will reinstall the back window.

I am getting the impression that I am going to have to buy a never used top or an almost brand new one.

I plan on keeping my Crossfire forever regardless of the costs. I am even considering buying a lightly wrecked donor car. It has a lot of sentimental value for my wife and I.

Last edited by David M; 01-24-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by David M
I need to replace my convertible top as well. Although the fabric is watertight, the door seals leak and the back window has fallen out. I can't find anyone in the Reno area who will reinstall the back window.

I am getting the impression that I am going to have to buy a never used top or an almost brand new one.

I plan on keeping my Crossfire forever regardless of the costs. I am even considering buying a lightly wrecked donor car. It has a lot of sentimental value for my wife and I.
Don't screw around, simply buy a new top!

Here is a thread on our last group buy:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-buy-back.html

You need not wait for a group buy, the group discount is not THAT much. Expect to pay around $900 with shipping. Many of us have replaced it ourselves, paying someone to do it should run around $50-100 an hour, so expect THAT to cost $400 or so.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:17 AM

Pizzaguy,
Could you please link me to who sells a new top for $900? I have looked around and the best price I can find for a new top is $1400. I don't want to wait for a group order. Willing to pay more so I can have it sooner.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by David M; 01-25-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:49 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

BAS International. A UK company. I have purchased two tops from them. Great quality and warranty. They have colors.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Does your convertible top leak at all?

Originally Posted by David M
Mine leaks, in addition to the back window having fallen out....so it REALLY leaks now. Chrysler did have a recall for it for a little while. I have to keep the car covered.
$.02 more: Bought new, 4/05, wife's daily driver, until 6/16, rear window detached summer '12, garaged @ home but not @ work, we do get Serious summer heat here (Riverside County, remember; except for coastal areas & mountains, most of southwest US is desert or borderline). Top material was still in very good condition. Had top replaced w/Gahh top, pricey w/labor but no choice @ the time. No leaks otherwise.
My theories; Chrysler took action on early window problem (failures began around '09) after voluminous complaints & NHTSA inquiry. However, it was never a "recall", it was a "goodwill" offer of a special warranty written just for this defect and they specified/notified all of the Vin numbered cars/owners that were delivered within 8 States only. They skipped several neighboring States w/same climate, so essentially they were saying that only those cars qualified?!? AKA: cost control, of course!?!$?!$
I believe that the manufacturing process used at the time was somehow defective. Many of these failures occurred far too early in a reasonably expected lifespan of the top. Coincidentally, perhaps VW used the same supplier because many of the ('05 & ?) convertible Beetles had the same issue.
Note; in my research I discovered that Chrysler requested all of their field reports submitted on the issue be treated as confidential forever, @ NHTSA. Couple of years ago, I submitted a Freedom of Information Request for those reports, (minus personal info of course) and was denied.

Last edited by lovecross; 01-27-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-27-2019, 11:29 PM

Your best bet is the British firm, BAS; they guarantee no rear window separation for the life of the top. You don't have to wait for a group buy, some have received the group buy price shortly after a group buy - but if you have to pay them a bit more, it's still the best deal you'll find.
Find a good firm to install the new top, unless you're skilled in the art!