Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Wanting a bad power top control module PTCM

Old 03-27-2024, 11:18 AM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Wanting a bad power top control module PTCM

I have an idea to build a diagnostic tool for the many switches and sensors in the top operation. If anybody has a known bad PTCM, I will be most happy to buy it and pay shipping.

I want to remove the connector of the existing board and start building a diagnostic tool considering most of us do not have access to a proper scanner tool.

I counted 5 travel sensors and 8 status sensors. They did leave out the rain sensor IMHO.

The following 2 users liked this post by xintersecty:
M60A3Driver (03-27-2024), pizzaguy (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 12:43 PM
Received 396 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Re: Wanting a bad power top control module PTCM

Originally Posted by xintersecty
I have an idea to build a diagnostic tool for the many switches and sensors in the top operation. If anybody has a known bad PTCM, I will be most happy to buy it and pay shipping.

I want to remove the connector of the existing board and start building a diagnostic tool considering most of us do not have access to a proper scanner tool.

I counted 5 travel sensors and 8 status sensors. They did leave out the rain sensor IMHO.

Maybe MB thought if you feel rain, you should put the top 'UP', LOL

Hey, IF a rain sensor was hacked into the PTCM, would or could you make it put the top up if it was open and it started raining (autonomous)? Of course the top latch would need a redesign......

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 03-27-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I got one from a Facebook page member. I'm building test kit as well, to watch all the switches.
Phase 2 will also watch sensors, but all it will show is "change of state" since they are hall effect, they pulse on change of state but there is no positive indication of cylinder position, which is why the PTCM can lose "sync" so easily.

In any event...
MOST of the time, I can determine the error by watching the switches and noting when the pump stops. It's not too hard to determine what cylinder, that just moved, did not 'tell' the PTCM that it was at end of travel.
You can often hear the pump motor laboring. Besides, most of the time, it's a matter of "pump wont even start" which is usually not loss of sync, but a switch not closing when it should.

Make sure you get part of the harness, so you can 'series' with the PTCM and actually watch it all live.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-27-2024 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nynick8 (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey pizzaguy! glad to see you are back to your old shenanigans! glad to see the passion is still there. give us an update sometime on how things are going, and why/ or who you are making this for. I may need to rent it from you first... having some issues with the top.... THANK YOU

Old 04-02-2024, 08:01 AM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I got one from a Facebook page member. I'm building test kit as well, to watch all the switches.
Make sure you get part of the harness, so you can 'series' with the PTCM and actually watch it all live.
Ah you are doing a pass through, very clever. I was going to just move the top manually to see the switches. What chips are using? Optocoupler?

Old 04-02-2024, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Nynick8
hey pizzaguy! glad to see you are back to your old shenanigans! glad to see the passion is still there. give us an update sometime on how things are going, and why/ or who you are making this for. I may need to rent it from you first... having some issues with the top.... THANK YOU
Ive fixed two tops here in DFW since I moved here in 2021, but I get tired of trying to access all the switches. WIth this, I can just take the driver's side trim from the trunk, connect this, and (with a 12 foot cable) sit in the car and watch the switches as I put the top thru it's paces.

Originally Posted by xintersecty
Ah you are doing a pass through, very clever. I was going to just move the top manually to see the switches. What chips are using? Optocoupler?
I'm using OP-AMPS, as the swtiches change state, indicator lights on the "control head" will show the switches change state.

The hall effect sensors on the cylinders will be a challenge, as I said above, they only send a spike on change of state, that comes in version 2.

Im also building my transmitter (see thread in "GENERAL") so I'm dividing my time between the two as well as enjoying the warm weather here on "Animal" - Iv'e started too many projects.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (04-03-2024)