Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SRT vs standard spoiler

Old 02-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT vs standard spoiler

SRT 6 is what the Xfire should've been to begin with (well it should have had rack & pinion steering instead of recirculating ball...but that's another thread).

On thing I absolutely do not like about the SRT6 is that ugly rear spoiler...looks like it can decide between tuner car look, the JC Whitney too much time looking at the catalogue look, or just plain silly look.

Because both base cars and the SRT 6 are limited to about the same top end speed, the gigantic spoiler seems to have limited value...it looks awful on the car, is heavier, doesn't function better...

So my question is anyone aware of somebody who has converted an SRT 6 Rear end to a standard to take advantage of the visual and performance improvements?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SRT vs standard spoiler

Originally Posted by lionsfan
SRT 6 is what the Xfire should've been to begin with (well it should have had rack & pinion steering instead of recirculating ball...but that's another thread).

On thing I absolutely do not like about the SRT6 is that ugly rear spoiler...looks like it can decide between tuner car look, the JC Whitney too much time looking at the catalogue look, or just plain silly look.

Because both base cars and the SRT 6 are limited to about the same top end speed, the gigantic spoiler seems to have limited value...it looks awful on the car, is heavier, doesn't function better...

So my question is anyone aware of somebody who has converted an SRT 6 Rear end to a standard to take advantage of the visual and performance improvements?
I would gladly trade my stupid "fin" for your spoiler any day.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't it be great if both of your cars were the same color.
All you would have to do is "U.P.S." your hatches to each other, and re-install.
Lionsfan could then "hot wire" his new "Limited" spoiler to a manual switch, and activate it at will.
Before I purchased my '04, I planned on getting an SRT's "whale tail" for mine. But after driving it for awhile, I realized that I got a "kick" out of it going thru its routine, so I never changed over.
Actually, I like both spoiler designs.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 AM
Forum Regular

lionsfan,

Give the spoiler a chance, it will grow on you. When I first bought my SRT-6, I seriously considered trading the spoiler and wheels for those found on the Limited. Now, I have come to appreciate both.

Kevin (a Bears fan originally from Chicago)

Old 02-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just like to note that where you say 'a visual and performance improvement', you are wrong. The visual part is your opinion, but under performance, it is a given that the bigger the spoiler, the more downforce you have. In fact, Chrysler has stated that the reason the SRT has a different spoiler is because the time it would take the regular one to deploy, the supercharged SRT would already be at dangerous speeds demanding downforce. Just a small correction.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:17 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey847
I would just like to note that where you say 'a visual and performance improvement', you are wrong. The visual part is your opinion, but under performance, it is a given that the bigger the spoiler, the more downforce you have. In fact, Chrysler has stated that the reason the SRT has a different spoiler is because the time it would take the regular one to deploy, the supercharged SRT would already be at dangerous speeds demanding downforce. Just a small correction.
Danimal, while I agree with you that the visual is a matter of individual taste, I'm with lionsfan in that the spoiler on the SRT does not look right (IMO). If the car needs a larger spoiler for performance reasons, they could have come with a design that has a better fit to the lines of the XF. A whale tail closer to the looks of the 911 perhaps. IMO it looks like an afterthought. I don't mean to offend any of the SRT owners who like their tail.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
raulito11

You are hurting my feelings FP ...Just kidding, I kind of agree but not completely...the SRT spoiler eventually will grow on you...When I traded in my limited for the SRT the spoiler was not a factor in my decision...However one thing that I did miss when I had my limited was the spoiler, it went very well with the design (deployed or not)...Is it possible to make the change of spoilers ?

Old 02-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lionsfan, there was a thread on this a while back. The general consensus, if I remember correctly, was that the larger spoiler was needed to increase the pre-load on the suspension, which is something like 40% stiffer than the non-SRT. The reason above about the spoiler not deploying fast enough was also mentioned.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so how much down force does the srt wing produce at various speeds compared to the limited?

Old 02-09-2007, 04:37 AM

I am a big fan of the srt6 spoiler...love the look of it. In my opinion the non srt6 spoiler...while nifty...looks empty from the back when not engaged but obviously I am biased since I have only owned the srt6.