Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

At the track...

Old 03-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: At the track...

Originally Posted by H.K. Phooey
I had no idea our cars could do that. With our tq at that rpm I thought the SRT6 would push out.

It's like launching my old Typhoon.
H.K. Phooey - Our cars will push you out. I've redlighted twice because of it. Once you rev enough for the supercharger to kick in and the converter locks up, the left foot can't hold it back. I tried something new yesterday, I rolled in and staged the first light (beam), then power braked and revved and loaded the converter and it pushed me into the second light and held just long enough to get to the third yellow. I could hear my back tires literally chirping me forward. That is with DR's, so I had good traction. It's going to come down to you feeling comfortable with your car. Unfortunately it takes alot of runs to do that. Even if you had the track to yourself, by the time you let your car cool down and have the perfect day, 3 runs is about most you can get quality runs. The rest is heatsoak, bad launches, bad lights, tire pressure questions, etc... Just have fun while your out there.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than starting a new thread.......I just installed the ASP pulley yesterday at my brothers shop. The install went as smooth as could be. It took us about 45min total. There were a couple of things we didn't understand in the directions though(Removing upper radiator core support and the removal of the horns??) All we removed was the fan and placed a piece of cardbord in front of the radiator for protection. Then we used a air gun to remove the crank bolt and that was it! Home free. Anyway the car pulls so hard in the mid-range its sick! The sound of the SC is amazing too! So i am going to the track tonight to see what I can do. Now granted, i probably will not hook all that well tonight(T&T), but i just want to get a baseline run for Saturdays(points day) race. So as planned, tune in around 7pm tonight for some live updates.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 AM

Scratch that........Just checked Atco's website. They have the National Open this weekend. No street racing or points. Ill have to wait another week. ::Sigh::

Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
H.K. Phooey - Our cars will push you out. I've redlighted twice because of it. Once you rev enough for the supercharger to kick in and the converter locks up, the left foot can't hold it back. I tried something new yesterday, I rolled in and staged the first light (beam), then power braked and revved and loaded the converter and it pushed me into the second light and held just long enough to get to the third yellow. I could hear my back tires literally chirping me forward. That is with DR's, so I had good traction. It's going to come down to you feeling comfortable with your car. Unfortunately it takes alot of runs to do that. Even if you had the track to yourself, by the time you let your car cool down and have the perfect day, 3 runs is about most you can get quality runs. The rest is heatsoak, bad launches, bad lights, tire pressure questions, etc... Just have fun while your out there.
Same here, i can here my rear tires twisting forward as i powerbrake, i havent tried to hold it past 2000-2200 rpm.

Question for everyone....has anyone with stock suspension and stock tires running NO LESS than 26 psi noticed that after the track only the outer 3 inches of the tires are worn. Its as if the car has excessive positive camber. Im thinking about lowering the pressure to around 20-22psi next time....i know this sounds crazy but the tread wear doesnt lie.

I just noticed this the other day and im wondering if this is why my 60 fts suck.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Same here, i can here my rear tires twisting forward as i powerbrake, i havent tried to hold it past 2000-2200 rpm.

Question for everyone....has anyone with stock suspension and stock tires running NO LESS than 26 psi noticed that after the track only the outer 3 inches of the tires are worn. Its as if the car has excessive positive camber. Im thinking about lowering the pressure to around 20-22psi next time....i know this sounds crazy but the tread wear doesnt lie.

I just noticed this the other day and im wondering if this is why my 60 fts suck.
I can almost bet that the reason you are seeing this is because of LACK of tire pressure. Don't go lower in psi, go higher. Think about it......If you deflate a tire what happens to it? The middle bulge of the tire starts going flat first. If you add air, I bet it would actually help your situation. At least i know this holds true for drag slicks. Too little air pressure in a drag slick and you see wear on the inner and outer part of the tire, not the middle......

Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM

With my stocks on I ran 36psi and had good 60' times with them. Usually around 1.90's. The DR's I run around 27.5 psi and my tread use is about an inch in on the sides. I could run lower psi and get all the tire on the ground, but the hoosier DR's are rounded towards the edges. I have ran at 16 psi and as high as 38 psi, both felt like I was a little squirly at the top end. I didn't like skating around and my 60' times weren't any better. So I have stayed with 27.5 for DR's and 36 for stocks. Be Safe and Have fun.
Cruzinquick

Sidenote: this was with temps from the 50's to 70's. As it gets hotter I will see if this psi still works.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
With my stocks on I ran 36psi and had good 60' times with them. Usually around 1.90's. The DR's I run around 27.5 psi and my tread use is about an inch in on the sides. I could run lower psi and get all the tire on the ground, but the hoosier DR's are rounded towards the edges. I have ran at 16 psi and as high as 38 psi, both felt like I was a little squirly at the top end. I didn't like skating around and my 60' times weren't any better. So I have stayed with 27.5 for DR's and 36 for stocks. Be Safe and Have fun.
Cruzinquick

Sidenote: this was with temps from the 50's to 70's. As it gets hotter I will see if this psi still works.
Just curious cruzinquick, what size Hoosier DR's are you running? I've got the 275/40/17's and was planning on starting out at around 28 to 30 psi if the mid-west event at US 41 don't get cancelled because of weather on the 12th.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile Re: At the track...

I just took my Hoosers to get them swapped on the rims after Sunday due to cord showing the wires on the outer edge and I was running 32 cold. I have since decided to go up a bunch in pressure as the middle is not worn much. The camber angle was 2.6 degrees on the front as I measured them. I posted a write up on how to measure this angle with a level and ruler if your interested.

Our cars corner well, the tires try to do it but that loads the outer edge greatly, Woody

Last edited by waldig; 04-03-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 PM

I have the 255/50-16". I wanted more sidewall protection in case I did want to lower the pressure way down. My buddy who runs big slicks on his race cars said he only has his tires at 8psi. They have beadlocks preventing the wheel from slipping or coming off though.

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
Just curious cruzinquick, what size Hoosier DR's are you running? I've got the 275/40/17's and was planning on starting out at around 28 to 30 psi if the mid-west event at US 41 don't get cancelled because of weather on the 12th.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by distantpulse
I can almost bet that the reason you are seeing this is because of LACK of tire pressure. Don't go lower in psi, go higher. Think about it......If you deflate a tire what happens to it? The middle bulge of the tire starts going flat first. If you add air, I bet it would actually help your situation. At least i know this holds true for drag slicks. Too little air pressure in a drag slick and you see wear on the inner and outer part of the tire, not the middle......
I understand your train of though but the odd thing is it is ONLY the outside that is worn, the insides appear normal. Nevertheless, i think ill try a few runs at 38-40 just for kicks and then lower to around 36 and try to get consistent sub 2.0 60fts. If i can do that ill be happy.

BTW im on the stock Conti's. I assume thats what most of you 1.9 60 ft guys are running as well? I just want to rule this out as my reason for my less than desireable launches.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular

For what it is worth I noticed the same approx. 3" inches of wear on my rear PS2s outer edge this weekend when I was washing the car. It was really noticable, the outside edge was nice a bright black while the inner portion looked normal. I just checked the pressure while the tires were cold...the car has been sitting in the garage since this weekend b/c of rain. All 4 tires were at 34psi. I bumbed all to 36psi to see if it makes a diff. But really should 2psi make that much of a noticable difference in the wear of the tires?!?

Cheers,
KrzyFast

Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up Re: At the track...

I wanted to bring up the SPRINTBOOSTER as my car was a pig till I put that on and now WOW,Woody

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM

I would think the hoosiers are too soft for autocrossing. The sidewall is just as soft as the tread. I'm sure they would give amazing grip, mine are only used for straight lines. Only left turn is at the end of the track. I would also increase the pressure to make sure your not on the sidewall. Be safe and have fun.

Originally Posted by waldig
I just took my Hoosers to get them swapped on the rims after Sunday due to cord showing the wires on the outer edge and I was running 32 cold. I have since decided to go up a bunch in pressure as the middle is not worn much. The camber angle was 2.6 degrees on the front as I measured them. I posted a write up on how to measure this angle with a level and ruler if your interested.

Our cars corner well, the tires try to do it but that loads the outer edge greatly, Woody

Old 04-08-2008, 01:26 PM

going tonight! Tune in for some live updates at around 6:30

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
RPM

Do you have the pulleys on yet? Good luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:37 PM

pulley is installed! thanks. Should have some decent times hopefully.....

Old 04-08-2008, 01:43 PM

pulley is installed! thanks. Should have some decent times hopefully.....
ASP 178mm?

What other mods? Post em proudly in your sig

Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM

I answered my own question when i went back to your first, post sorry

Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM

Cool, I love live updates while I am working thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM

I do it for you bikecop, I do it for you. :P LOL ok, going up now to make a pass. Weather is great! About 58 and low humidity with a moderate cross wind.

Quick Reply: At the track...