Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

DO YOU KNOW THAT . . . your pump runs a lot

Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking DO YOU KNOW THAT . . . your pump runs a lot

With all the discussion and apparent interest in the H/E pump I wanted to pass along the following observation.

I have wires and flow gauges tied to my car to get better data from the water system. The H/E pump can be turned on "by the computer" when the car is hot, sitting in park with the engine running.

This is an attempt to cool the inlet air when the supercharger is not being used. I found that interesting to discover. In traffic and on days where the stock cooling system is ideling along the pump can be running.

This was evident to me as I had tied 4 fans to my LET heat exchanger, which would operate when the pump was running. I was suprised at first to see them running, thinking the engine fan was spinning them, NOOO they were powered up by the Computer...

Don't add fans to the H/E, you get no GAIN as there is NOT ENOUGH air provided to see an improvement unless you are going really slow. The temperature differential is only 3 to 6 or 7 degrees, nothing different from NO FANS except when you are going below about 20 MPH>

This is an example of a non starter idea, I have a lot of good ideas, if you ignore the ones that dont work, Hee Hee.

Have a great weekend, Woody.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cooling study_004.JPG (668.6 KB, 42 views)
Cooling study_003.JPG (671.8 KB, 28 views)
Cooling study_008.JPG (673.2 KB, 47 views)
Cooling study_006.JPG (672.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-01-2008, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DO YOU KNOW THAT . . . your pump runs a lot

Thanks for disproving the fan on H/E idea. Well not disproving but it doesnt seem worth while.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Forum Regular

Interesting info....

Old 08-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Woody, it looks like your fan setup blocks off a significant area of the HE and would reduce the overall air flow. Steve Hellums has two fans behind his HE that he turns on by switch and I think he came to the same conclusion. They do help, but not when your running at speed.

Have your thought, or tried, adding another cooling coil like a transmission fluid cooler in-line with the HE and mount it in front of the radiator? I was thinking a unit that has wide spread tubes with fins and maybe only three or four runs (like a double s). The tubing should be large enough not to restrict flow. That would effectively give you a bigger surface area for cooling and you could put it after the HE on the line back to the IC. I have the factory HE and was thinking that adding this type of additonal cooling might be better than a thicker, slightly larger HE. What do you think?

MikeR

Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: DO YOU KNOW THAT . . . your pump runs a lot

You looking at me, MIKER ? You looking at me???????? You have my notes it seems.

YES, Well that test is for Monday, I have a 280Sq". pair of coils 1.5 in thick with WIDE aka Sen. LARRY CRAIG spacing of the fins for JUST THAT TEST.

Ill put that on and do a write-up for the group as there should be a 10 - 15 degree delta across the H/E and S/C intercooler.

Woody Enjoy.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the good side, Woody, your setup WOULD be excellent for cooling at the track between runs. Put those fans on a simple on/off switch, and turn them on/off whenever needed.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Hey Woody,

When I created a separate coolant systems for the IC and Engine; I discovered that the IC coolant, no matter how hard I drive the car, is always lukewarm to the touch. Not really sure how close you can get the IC coolant temp to the outside air temperature (which would be a 100% efficient system), but by separating the two systems and installing the LET HE - I found you get so close that only minimal gains can be had by chasing further.

(I can't crack open the engine coolant to touch the liquid - well I could but...well not advised)

I also discovered that ICE or other forms of external refrigeration of the IC coolant is futile. Unless you could design a small Freon type coil system for my coolant tank that used an external electric compressor? But even then you would need to remove the HE or take it out of the loop. All it would due is heat the coolant back up.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:33 AM

I'm almost positive the intercooler pump ALWAYS runs as long as the engine is running. In fact, when you turn the car off, the intercooler pump continues running for about 5 seconds (just enough time to run around to the front of the car and hear it shut off). If it sat idle until the supercharger kicked in, the intercooler would already be heat soaked just from sitting on top of the engine. Then again, I have a C32, so the programming might be different.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eleventeen, I think the C32's are a little different in this regard. From some of the work Steve Hellums has done - he wired an indicator light to tell when the pump runs, along with some other stuff - the SRT-6 pump doesn't run all of the time, but once it does engage, it aparently runs until you shut the car off.

Check out this thread:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=23500

Old 08-02-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112
Eleventeen, I think the C32's are a little different in this regard. From some of the work Steve Hellums has done - he wired an indicator light to tell when the pump runs, along with some other stuff - the SRT-6 pump doesn't run all of the time, but once it does engage, it aparently runs until you shut the car off.

Check out this thread:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=23500
Yeah, I guess just because they have the same drivetrain doesn't mean they have the same program. I see one person mentioned in that thread that their pump didn't run after the car was shut off, but it might only be the Mercedes software that does this; I can definitely tell it's running for several seconds after shutdown on the Benz. This is a good topic.