Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Are we sure the HE water system 'self burps' itself?

Old 12-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Are we sure the HE water system 'self burps' itself?

Originally Posted by onehundred80

There is a How To PDF that shows how to do this job with the minimum intake of air into the system. Basically you clamp the system close to the pump, you loose just a small of coolant. If you have a NWings coolant separation kit installed you will want to open it up, if you have a header tank it should self-purge l think (?)
I’ll add the PDF. It shows the installation of a Johnson pump which is now out of favour, the Bosch pump withlastthree numbers of xxx010 being preferred.

These photos are of my Bosch 0210 pump installation.
There is a How To PDF that shows how to do this job with the minimum intake of air into the system. Basically you clamp the system close to the pump, you loose just a small of coolant. If you have a NWings coolant separation kit installed you will want to open it up, if you have a header tank it should self-purge l think (?) I’ll add the PDF. It shows the installation of a Johnson pump which is now out of favour, the Bosch pump withlastthree numbers of xxx010 being preferred. These photos are of my Bosch 0210 pump installation. [/QUOTE] Thanks 180, Ive downloaded all the documentation ive got the hose pinch clamps, ive got the new Bosch pump. I have factory set up ( ie no coolant separation kit). i just don't know how to purge the pump via sn external power source via those tiny pins in the connector ?

Old 12-26-2018, 12:57 PM

There is a How To PDF that shows how to do this job with the minimum intake of air into the system. Basically you clamp the system close to the pump, you loose just a small of coolant. If you have a NWings coolant separation kit installed you will want to open it up, if you have a header tank it should self-purge l think (?)
I’ll add the PDF. It shows the installation of a Johnson pump which is now out of favour, the Bosch pump withlastthree numbers of xxx010 being preferred.

These photos are of my Bosch 0210 pump installation.
There is a How To PDF that shows how to do this job with the minimum intake of air into the system. Basically you clamp the system close to the pump, you loose just a small of coolant. If you have a NWings coolant separation kit installed you will want to open it up, if you have a header tank it should self-purge l think (?) I’ll add the PDF. It shows the installation of a Johnson pump which is now out of favour, the Bosch pump withlastthree numbers of xxx010 being preferred. These photos are of my Bosch 0210 pump installation. [/QUOTE]

Thanks 180, Ive downloaded all the documentation ive got the hose pinch clamps, ive got the new Bosch pump. I have a factory set up ( ie no coolant separation kit). i just don't know how to purge the pump with an external power source via those tiny pins in the ic pump connector ?

My new Bosch IC pump ready for installation.😀
Bo

Old 12-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Thanks 180, Ive downloaded all the documentation ive got the hose pinch clamps, ive got the new Bosch pump. I have a factory set up ( ie no coolant separation kit). i just don't know how to purge the pump with an external power source via those tiny pins in the ic pump connector ?

My new Bosch IC pump ready for installation.😀
Bo
Put the pump in the car and take the car for drive, the air will most likely be driven out of the system and replaced by air in the overflow tank.
If the car gets sluggish when warmed up you will know you have an air block. Drive the car normally it should be OK, mine was no trouble.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:36 PM

Put the pump in the car and take the car for drive, the air will most likely be driven out of the system and replaced by air in the overflow tank.
If the car gets sluggish when warmed up you will know you have an air block. Drive the car normally it should be OK, mine was no trouble.
That was my thought too.
Also just wondering...
Does the IC pump work whilst the car is idling?
Or does it kick in at a certain rev range or temperature range?

Old 12-26-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 15Spokes
That was my thought too.
Also just wondering...
Does the IC pump work whilst the car is idling?
Or does it kick in at a certain rev range or temperature range?
It kicks in at 2,000 rpm or so, but take it for a run just to load the engine and warm it up faste and see the performance.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:39 AM

Intercooler Pump was replaced this morning.
I ran a clear tube from the overflow pipe to the reservoir and then idled the motor but no fluid was coming through. I then started to rev the motor but still no fluid came through.
I then took the car for a drive and noticed no difference in performance at all. Very anti climatic and disappointing to say the least.
I didn't purge the IC pump because I couldn't for the life of me imagine how to connect to those tincy wincy little connectors in the IC pump to an external source. Im thinking i would need another adaptor type thingo to temporary connect to the pump but i have nothing like that.
I've had the car for 8 weeks now and it goes pretty good but I must say that I was expecting much more. I was hoping the IC pump change would make a massive difference, but not to be.
I welcome any ideas that may make a difference.
I actually quite often wish one of you gurus lived close by to perhaps come help out.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 15Spokes
Intercooler Pump was replaced this morning.
I ran a clear tube from the overflow pipe to the reservoir and then idled the motor but no fluid was coming through. I then started to rev the motor but still no fluid came through.
I then took the car for a drive and noticed no difference in performance at all. Very anti climatic and disappointing to say the least.
I didn't purge the IC pump because I couldn't for the life of me imagine how to connect to those tincy wincy little connectors in the IC pump to an external source. Im thinking i would need another adaptor type thingo to temporary connect to the pump but i have nothing like that.
I've had the car for 8 weeks now and it goes pretty good but I must say that I was expecting much more. I was hoping the IC pump change would make a massive difference, but not to be.
I welcome any ideas that may make a difference.
I actually quite often wish one of you gurus lived close by to perhaps come help out.
You show the shattered IC rotor in another thread, it should have been in this one, separating info in more than one thread is confusing. Anyone reading this thread for the first time might ask why you are changing the pump in the first place. You should probably have put all the info in a new thread if you were going to to start another thread.
What is your problem anyway? I assume you have poor performance when the coolant warms up, the performance being OK until that point.
Can you loosen the hose that goes to the SC and let the air escape from the pump? The force of the coolant above the pump pushing the air through the pump. Adding the clear hose has allowed a lot of air into the system. I imagine opening the clear hose closest to the SC. Most people just let air into the pump when they clamped of the hoses close to the pump.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Thumbs up Re: Are we sure the HE water system 'self burps' itself?

You show the shattered IC rotor in another thread, it should have been in this one, separating info in more than one thread is confusing. Anyone reading this thread for the first time might ask why you are changing the pump in the first place. You should probably have put all the info in a new thread if you were going to to start another thread.
What is your problem anyway? I assume you have poor performance when the coolant warms up, the performance being OK until that point.
Can you loosen the hose that goes to the SC and let the air escape from the pump? The force of the coolant above the pump pushing the air through the pump. Adding the clear hose has allowed a lot of air into the system. I imagine opening the clear hose closest to the SC. Most people just let air into the pump when they clamped of the hoses close to the pump.
Thanks 180,
I changed the ic pump because of the following reasons:
1. I could feel the supercharger not engaging when temperatures started to rise.
2. There was a delay before the supercharger kicked in and
3. I could see the old "003" end of the part no. through the tiniest of gaps when looking in the engine bay.

I took the car for a long drive last night and I think it may have self purged itself as the supercharger was kicking in for the whole drive when required. It was a 25°C (77°F) night.
However i do not think the new ic pump has made any difference to the response time of the sc kicking in. I notice a fair bit of pedal travel is required before the sc starts working. Maybe this is perfectly normal and it's just me? I must also add that i have not yet replaced my spark plugs which are the originals at 132000km. I have the new spark plugs, just trying to find the time and courage to attempt to change them with my current tools. I have read that changing the spark plugs makes a considerable difference.

Last edited by 15Spokes; 12-27-2018 at 02:48 PM.