Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

How fast does the water heat up in the I/C?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking How fast does the water heat up in the I/C?

I have put together a video of my first 1/4 mile run from the recent MIR races to show the operation of my I/C and larger " Super cooler " H/E. This is to be as close to real world conditions as I can get it. Run number 1 is shown with my car on about 70+ degree day at 10:40 AM.

The temp monitior on the left shows the temperature difference of the water entering and leaving the heat exchanger. Higher readings indicate the number of degrees of cooling the H/E is producing and allows you to see rate of change. It is interesting to note the speed with which it changes up and down.

The temp monitor on the right shows the water temp entering the H/E which is the same water temperature leaving the I/C. It is interesting to note that the water immediatley changes with load conditions. When I just punched it on the water, and on the return lane you can also see the rapid rise in temperature of the coolant.

The water in my heat exchanger system is moving at 4 gallons per minute, much faster than the stock exchange which flows less that 2 GPM. This is due to less restriction in the H/E core. Faster circulation promotes better cooling by scrubbing the I/C with cooler water and pushing the hotter water into the heat exchanger for cooling. This cooler has the greatest surface possible for the car and thus really assists in cooling the intake mixture to the cyclinders.

Monitoring of my H/E operation with a camera has been the best way I have to record multiple reading while driving. The small gauge on the left is monitoring the vacuum in my intake manifold( just before the throttle body). Straight up on the gauge is about -5 inches of water (vacuum), which is much better than the previous CAI when it was at -30 inches of water(vacuum).

The gauge on the right is a 15 psig gauge monitoring the boost AT the air intake manifold. The next mark is 16# which I seem to be hitting at full rpm edge, though my dyno testing showed 17#. My gauges and Pod installation has taken a bit of a back seat to testing, due to the approaching colder weather.

Hope this is interesting and possibly informative on several levels.

ENJOY, W DY

Remember these are heat engines, cooling makes more power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5XLsQ1kKV0

P.S. Watch in high quality to see gauges, Sorry for reflections.......

Last edited by waldig; 10-19-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How fast does the water heat up in the I/C?

Thanks for sharing your info!! Very interesting how fast the boost heats up the water. With my OBD-Scanner I also see in real time how fast my IATs rise when I punch it. In comparison to a 1/4 mile race the IATs rise even higher when you punch it for a longer time in 4th and 5th with a boost around 19-20 PSI. The IATs fall quickly when I let it off, which shows my (LET-HE with CM30) does a quite good job (not as good as your Supercooler ). But in my opinion to avoid the IAT-Spikes under longer WOT-Runs I have to improve the IC itself. Maybe the C3P-IC is the right choice. I hope the C3P-IC does not provide too much higher boost, because of its Spearco-Core (lower pressure-drop on the air side). I dont want to change my Pulley-configuration and my boost is already high enough...

Old 10-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woody,

we're going to have to get you an analog DAQ, buddy

Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Forum Regular

Good job woody. On a side note.... What was your reasoning for not using the 2 oil/tranny coolers welded together that you fabricated before this super cooler? Did that contraption not perform in some way?

Old 10-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Talking Re: How fast does the water heat up in the I/C?

That 'contraption' did work well, I had been doing parallel research and found the Summit core before the other summit tranny cores were in test. So I had tested the cores and saw such a gain in cooling capacity, that P&V took over and I did both. THe super cooler had 100 percent of the radiator covered to promote even better air capture. More is ....more.

Just wanted to go to the wall as it were for cooling. The pair got 3.1 GPM and had about three times the area of the LET which is better than stock, especially with the lower restriction. Yes it was good but best is a quest and I got to 4.0GPM.

Brian Brave brought up this bigger water pump and I said resist - resist. Well after I get a few projects documented and one finished to share with you all, Ill probably do the pump. I am interested as to what it can do for flow as installed in the Crossfire. I know the specs but testing in the system sometimes provides results that are not predicted.

Several people have installed the pump and I have no reason to get one other than to satisfy my own curiosity. I reassembled my working stock pump which will be a spare for the cabin heater, and the Johnson is still very young. But the car is part toy so.....

ENJOY< Woody

Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was the hottest outisde temp you recall for that day?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:04 PM

I saw low 80's, there was a bit of a breeze as you can see in my video of the tower flags, WOODY

Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Woody is cool!
I wish he was my neighbor so I could get all of the stuff he upgrades!

Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, low 80's sounds right. My car showed 86 so that is about what you show.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Waldig.... Do you think its possible to wire the outside temperature gauge up to show the IAT instead? Ooooo now we're talking.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:53 AM

While I was using a low thermal mass probe , the temps were moving too fast to notice the readings. Sort of like the gasoline pump dials. A camera would be needed.

I have been researching various monitors and saw one at the races that I liked, so Iam waiting for shippment to see how it works. Mrphotoman also was showing his results, as data logging is the best way to enjoy the car. No fun going at it with a head down posture in the cockpit while veering off the road.

You could work something out but I would not think it worth the effort. Plus you would have to do a fair amount of fiddeling. Buying a pod from johnny angle and an air temp gauge would be better and more readable not to mention safer.

Enjoy, Woody

Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waldig....
I've revitalised this thread to work out some "indicative" numbers for the Charge Air cooling system.
I'm trying to get a handle on an efficiency before I run a test.

Lets assume for now - stock setup (if you can remember back that far)

Have a look and see how far away my guessed numbers (yellow cells) are. The others are simple calculations.
Given you have done some instrumentation runs....
Most interested in the
-Charge Air Cooler water in and out temps and the [AIT- Cooler water] dT...obviously the Supercooler water in/outs are very close to these (closed system) ....plus
-[Supercooler discharge water Temp - Ambient] dT
these dT's are obviously a measure of the HX's efficiency.

As shown - I've used a gpm from the stock OEM pump of 2gpm
Dont worry about the cfm numbers so much - they come from my "supercharger model" calculations.

Attached Images

Last edited by Billy22Bob; 06-22-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
Waldig....
I've revitalised this thread to work out some "indicative" numbers for the Charge Air cooling system.
I'm trying to get a handle on an efficiency before I run a test.

Lets assume for now - stock setup (if you can remember back that far)

Have a look and see how far away my guessed numbers (yellow cells) are. The others are simple calculations.
Given you have done some instrumentation runs....
Most interested in the
-Charge Air Cooler water in and out temps and the [AIT- Cooler water] dT...obviously the Supercooler water in/outs are very close to these (closed system) ....plus
-[Supercooler discharge water Temp - Ambient] dT
these dT's are obviously a measure of the HX's efficiency.

As shown - I've used a gpm from the stock OEM pump of 2gpm
Dont worry about the cfm numbers so much - they come from my "supercharger model" calculations.
Why make it so complicated?? I'd say, just install a Supercooler and be done w/ it. Are you trying to invent something that cools better than the Supercooler, or the killer chiller? If so, good luck...... carry on, lol. No offense intended.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 PM

It may sound complicated - but not really.
But I dont like doing things...without understanding it from first principles.
Can often lead to many possibilities for myself and possibly others.....
Gotta first ask "why"....and then ...."why not"......
and I'm a firm believer in the "journey often being better than the destination".

eg: One idea, I'd lke to asess the possibility of a simply repipng the low pressure side of the AC into the Charge Air Cooler. But that would depend on capacity requirements (what I'm tring to measure here) and the capability of the cooler to handle the gas (plus control ie: to possibly stop it freezing at idle).

plus other ideas.
I'm just a frustrated engineer with too much time on my hands.....

Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE eg: One idea, I'd lke to asess the possibility of a simply repipng the low pressure side of the AC into the Charge Air Cooler. But that would depend on capacity requirements (what I'm tring to measure here) and the capability of the cooler to handle the gas (plus control ie: to possibly stop it freezing at idle).
plus other ideas. I'm just a frustrated engineer with too much time on my hands.....[/QUOTE]
Have you seen this? Killer Chiller the Active Intercooler solution for OEM* and after maket intercooler systems.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you seen this? Killer Chiller the Active Intercooler solution for OEM* and after maket intercooler systems.[/QUOTE]

WOW!
That looks pretty, uhm...cool!

Who's gonna try it?

Old 06-23-2012, 05:29 PM

very interesting - as usual - others have gone before - nothing new under the sun etc...etc...
To avoid hijacking this thread I've uploaded a diatribe of thoughts into one of Waldigs alternate threads dealing with cooling and ref. to the Killer Chiller....but with a few improvements and a combination of ideas - I think we might be onto a winner here.....
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post680159

I dont know the cost of the KC, but its nothing a good AC tech (like Waldig) couldn't do.
I wouldn't go for the electric version of KC though.

Last edited by Billy22Bob; 06-23-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

I have a separated heat exchanger to radiator system,Consisting of one super cooler and two heater cores, my IAT's run 5 to 11° above ambient temperature.
Woody is for is a heater core, I have two of them. One behind each fog light opening.in a quarter-mile my IAT's get to 131 to 141.a lot of people look at my system the last time we were at the Dragon. here are some of the pictures.
here is the link for the pic of the heater core before install. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=lowering+temp post # 42

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0047.JPG (2.24 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
100_0050.JPG (2.27 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by amx1397; 06-23-2012 at 07:38 PM.