Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Hey Woody A PCV?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Woody A PCV?

Out of curiosity any particular reason they are running to places to vent on the driver's side valve cover and only one on the passenger side. With the oil catch can you helped develop are you venting on the same spot on each valve cover and plugging off the larger vent on the driver's side? Thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Hey Woody A PCV?

Pardon me for going GM on you but I dont understand the question. The vent can inputs are connected to both valve covers and then after ""filtering"" the output is fed to the stock intake on the throttle body. My Can photo may mislead you as to the routing of the individual hoses, one to each cover and the outlet to the throttle body. Dont let this out but the can is divided vertically and the gasses have to go down and back up thru several stainless media pads / baffels before being released to the outlet pipe.

The driver valve cover has some interesting piping and you can see the actual passways in my photos.

To see whats up I had taken off the driver side cover and did a photo on the underside for my records. One hole is well restricted, I believe to not overflow the throttlebody. The amount of air fed into the engine is what controlls the speed of the engine. Never attempt to start up an engine without the restriction of a throttle body or youll get an uncontrollable thing this side Helln.

Be Well, Woody

Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Default Re: Hey Woody A PCV?

Excellent photos Woody!

And I have finally found Waldo

Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Forum Regular

On the driver's side like the passenger side valve cover, each has a vent running to the throttle body. On the drivers side you have a second vent that runs up to the throttle body intake Y( the plastic piece that push's onto the throttle body) My question is why is the drivers side vented more, and what is the purpose to the extra vent.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 AM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight=oil+catch

Take a look at this, it may help.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GDC-SRT
I know how to do the catch can, if you notice they plug off the second vent on the driver's side valve cover. I would think you still would want to use the vent to relieve pressure especially since a lot of us are running more boost then stock. I have a oil catch can that has a filter on top, different then the one woody designed which reattaches to the throttle body and helps create vacuum in the system. My JAZZ set up I'm doing a little different. I'm blocking off the throttle body and running all PCV venting into the can.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldogger
I know how to do the catch can, if you notice they plug off the second vent on the driver's side valve cover. I would think you still would want to use the vent to relieve pressure especially since a lot of us are running more boost then stock. I have a oil catch can that has a filter on top, different then the one woody designed which reattaches to the throttle body and helps create vacuum in the system. My JAZZ set up I'm doing a little different. I'm blocking off the throttle body and running all PCV venting into the can.
Bulldogger - you are correct - either way will work - but most air/oil separators don't facilitate the larger hose that connects to the Y-pipe.

The way you are routing your JAZZ setup is the best way to go IMO but won't pass CA Smog inspection.

The JEGS unit I used has an internal filter but doesn't accommodate the larger breather hose so I decided to just block off mine

Last edited by BrianBrave; 02-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks Brian, I was just wondering what the reason was or logic behind the extra vent.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Wink Re: Hey Woody A PCV?

To answer the question better the second vent seems to go to the intake to supply FILTERED air so that there is more than a venting effect. THere is actually a purging action with fresh filtered air injected to dilute or wash out the vapors in the engines internal spaces.

I used to use the intake vacuum to actually draw a mild vacuum on the crankcase to reduce the windage losses - what with the pistons and crank girating about. It was an attempt to gain a bit of power by reducing losses (pneumatic) by running in a vacuum. Big time race cars do this often, and a Pinto ant big time but I did make a neat sound rounding turns at the U f Md going up to 9000 RPM. Did I tell you that standard oil seals really hum if you draw too much suction on - across them? Get some stranger looks with that going on u betcha.

W dy

Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Woody do you think that filtered air helping to purge the engine effects IAT at all, actually with blocking off the throttle body and the intake Y do you think that lowers IAT's at all

Old 02-11-2009, 05:01 PM

As I understand it the IAT refers to the air at the sensor in the wye pipe after the intercooler and s/c.

Any vented air going into the crankcase would come thru the air filter prior to the supercharger. The crankcase ;gases; are largely blow-by from the rings and fumes from the oil supply. Air added to the POSITIVE crancase ventilation system would not mingle with the inet air flow, thus no measurable effect as I see it.

BTW during my engine testing operations this winter, the material collected at the bottom drain was largely water with about 1/5th being oil residue. This is due to the low temperatures causing condensation in the super separator rather than the warmer engine, thats good. Warmer temperatures will see less water as it will be vaporized and pass on thru the SS mesh and on to the engine.

Enjoy the longer days, spring is coming.....

Woody

Old 02-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular

Actually all the PCV ports are leading into the throttle body, that air is coming as blow by pressure and should be considerablly warmer then outside air being drawn in I would think.