Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

New Member and Owner with Belt Question

Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member and Owner with Belt Question

Have been reading on the forum on and off for a couple months now and I finally bit the bullet and bought a 20K mile black SRT-6. I just got the car dropped off by the transport company this evening and I was very surprised and disappointed at the lack of low end torque. I have never driven an SRT-6 but have had many other high end sports cars and was very surprised at the lack of power by the SRT. It is late and dark here so I didn't drive it more than about 2 miles but when I parked the car in the garage I noticed that I could smell a faint burnt belt smell, like a belt is slipping.

My question is whether or not this could be from the belt driving the supercharger and if this could explain the lack of low end torque? Is this a common occurence with the SRT? Does anyone have any other ideas? The car seems to idle and drive just fine it just doesn't have the low end punch I would expect. The car is very clean and I don't believe that it has been rodded so I am a little mystified. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks a lot.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: New Member and Owner with Belt Question

Hey there!
Welcome to the forum!
Yes there is an issue with belt slippage on the SRT but I don't recall anyone that is running stock has had slipage problems. Also, at least in my case, the slipage occurs in the higher RPM ranges and not down low where you seam to be experiencing problems.
This car gets from the moment you mash the gas so I'd say that you do have a problem.
Take the engine cover off and look for black powder (rubber from the belt). If you see it then look to be sure that the belt is tracking true on all of the pulleys.
You can also do a throttle reset. That might be a good idea since you just got the car.
How to do it? Use the SEARCH function above I'm sure it's posted at least a few times some where here. You'll also find lots of other info while browsing around. Have fun!
"See" ya on the forum!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Forgot.
Coupe or roadster?
Post your VIN in the SRT VIN thread located here!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=14473

Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy. it's either 2 simple things:

1. needs a new IC pump. the stock one always fails. get a johnson CM30, you will get your power back. when the pump fails, the heat-soak stops the supercharger from engaging.

2. you may be experiencing the throttle-lag. get a sprint booster for this. our throttle is electronically controlled, so there is a delay when you mash the pedal, the sprint booster speeds this up!

low end torque is AWESOME once you replace either of these! trust me! VERY seriously doubt this is from belt slippage at only 20k miles. and i haven't heard of that on here. it's almost ALWAYS the IC pump or throttle-lag.

also, look under the car and look for any tranny fluid leakage, this is another thing that always has to be fixed(once only)

the burnt smell..... could be a bad catalytic converter. i have seen this come up a few times with others on here.

Last edited by j-fire; 02-23-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Simply put does the car feel fast? Like how a 349 hp car should? If not its possibly the i/c pump needs replacing like jfire stated.
Originally Posted by pioneer41
Have been reading on the forum on and off for a couple months now and I finally bit the bullet and bought a 20K mile black SRT-6. I just got the car dropped off by the transport company this evening and I was very surprised and disappointed at the lack of low end torque. I have never driven an SRT-6 but have had many other high end sports cars and was very surprised at the lack of power by the SRT. It is late and dark here so I didn't drive it more than about 2 miles but when I parked the car in the garage I noticed that I could smell a faint burnt belt smell, like a belt is slipping.

My question is whether or not this could be from the belt driving the supercharger and if this could explain the lack of low end torque? Is this a common occurence with the SRT? Does anyone have any other ideas? The car seems to idle and drive just fine it just doesn't have the low end punch I would expect. The car is very clean and I don't believe that it has been rodded so I am a little mystified. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks a lot.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Forum Regular

come to think of it, i smell that burnt-smell from my car sometimes after hard-driving, but never really thought anything of it...... but she runs GREAT!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 PM

Hey thanks for all the quick responses, I really appreciate it. From what little I drove the car tonight it most certainly does not feel like a 349hp car. I will try the throttle reset yet tonight and then if that doesn't fix it I will try replacing the intercooler pump.

I am just excited to DRIVE this car, after all the great things I have read about it. Thanks Again!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Forum Regular

Hey thanks for all the quick responses, I really appreciate it. From what little I drove the car tonight it most certainly does not feel like a 349hp car. I will try the throttle reset yet tonight and then if that doesn't fix it I will try replacing the intercooler pump.

I am just excited to DRIVE this car, after all the great things I have read about it. Thanks Again!
you will be in the high 12's with just an intake upgrade! do that as well as the IC pump!!!!

and DO NOT buy another 'stock' pump from the dealership, they usually just fail again.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Could be the pump but he said he only drove for about 2 miles.

Pioneer41, next time you start the car to go for a drive...punch it before the car has a chance to heat up. Did you just get a BIG $hit eating grin?
Is there BIG power at mid to upper RPM?
More info helps.

BTW it IS an SRT isn't it? Does it say Sebring anywhere on it?
(go here to see what I'm talking about) - https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=30522

Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Alright, I just tried the throttle reset, now when I punch the gas with the car in park it will not rev past 3800-4000 rpm. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM

Alright, I just tried the throttle reset, now when I punch the gas with the car in park it will not rev past 3800-4000 rpm. Any ideas? Thanks
That's a safety feature.
Put it in gear and it'll go past that.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 PM

how do you post new stuff

Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jmt23
how do you post new stuff
Hey jmt23 welcome to the Crossfire Forum.
To start a new thread go to the index

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/index.php?

Select one of the topics listed that best fit your subject and post away!
Try SEARCHing to see if there's already a thread started that you can just join rather than start "ANOTHER" thread about the same topic.

Again, welcome! Post away!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Be sure to turn off traction control. Little button in the center under the radio. When it is off an orange light will be on the dash to let you know its time to light em' up!

Dont give the car a chance to warm up just nail it and report back.(disclaimer, with traction control off be careful not to oversteer and crash, ok thats it)

Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM

I have to be to work in about 4.5 hours, so smoking the tires will have to wait until tomorrow evening but I will do it as soon as I get home and let you guys know what happens. Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: New Member and Owner with Belt Question

[quote=j-fire]easy. it's either 2 simple things:

1. needs a new IC pump. the stock one always fails. get a johnson CM30, you will get your power back. when the pump fails, the heat-soak stops the supercharger from engaging.

2. you may be experiencing the throttle-lag. get a sprint booster for this. our throttle is electronically controlled, so there is a delay when you mash the pedal, the sprint booster speeds this up!

low end torque is AWESOME once you replace either of these! trust me! VERY seriously doubt this is from belt slippage at only 20k miles. and i haven't heard of that on here. it's almost ALWAYS the IC pump or throttle-lag

also, look under the car and look for any tranny fluid leakage, this is another thing that always has to be fixed(once only)

the burnt smell..... could be a bad catalytic converter. i have seen this come up a few times with others on here.[/quote
DITTO !!!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME AND HAVE FUN W/ THE SRT-6. ILLCYA

Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 AM

Quick question are you in 1 or D? Definately turn off traction control. Doesn't sound likes its your IC if you only went 2 miles. If so when you search you'll see the instructions on how to change the pump. The johnson will require modifying your bracket and hoses. The ford lightning bosch pump for $80 is about at plug and play as they get. They don't fail anymore than the johnson will in a few years. The pumps fail because they sat long enough for the plastic part inside to dry and crack. The motors inside have yet to be posted that a motor of the pumps has failed. I'm sure anyone can open it up and put 12v and it will spin.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM

What plastic piece breaks? Why wont the spinning motor pump fluid...unless your saying the plastic pieces is the impeller and it just sits there as the motor spins?
Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Quick question are you in 1 or D? Definately turn off traction control. Doesn't sound likes its your IC if you only went 2 miles. If so when you search you'll see the instructions on how to change the pump. The johnson will require modifying your bracket and hoses. The ford lightning bosch pump for $80 is about at plug and play as they get. They don't fail anymore than the johnson will in a few years. The pumps fail because they sat long enough for the plastic part inside to dry and crack. The motors inside have yet to be posted that a motor of the pumps has failed. I'm sure anyone can open it up and put 12v and it will spin.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Forum Regular

mine is stock and the belt does not slip .... when my ic pump went out
you would feel a surg and loss of power at around 80.....
and sometimes at lower speeds

black is nice..... welcome to the family

Old 02-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Make sure it's not in "W" mode either

Quick Reply: New Member and Owner with Belt Question