Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Check Engine Light code P0505

Old 11-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Check Engine Light code P0505

I truly feel the same way but my only other choice is Chrysler dealer or Mercedes. I really don't like that. I was thinking they were pretty sincere in taking care of me from now on. I'm really not nieve. I didn't and won't let anybody smoke me.
By the way I love South Park, especially " Eat, Pray ,Quief" funny as hell.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:43 PM

OK, now I think I have to have a crow sandwich. I now have real intake issues. Light is on all the time and the idle is erratic. SO, I want to fix this myself. I did the carb cleaner test and proved the manifold gaskets are leaking. Needswings is supposed to have better gaskets for heavily modded engines. What I don't have are instructions or the right tools for installation.
Could someone help me with this info? I don't want to pay $800. plus for an $11.00 intake gasket job.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

This is a hour job, and you can do it or take it to a local mechanic point to the manifolds (they say srt on them) ask how much to replace the gaskets and that u have the gaskets 50 to 75 is what is should be needswings will give you the torque ,,u give it to the mechanic done. jim

Old 12-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Well it is a month later and I have to admit I was wrong. The manifold gaskets are leaking and the idle is erratic. I would still like to fix this myself . I have read in other threads that it isn't a difficult job.
I used carb cleaner to test the gaskets and the idle started to increase. So my question is how to remove the manifolds, bolt heads look different than any tool I have .
Could anybody guide me in this effort. Do I need to remove the throttle body for access to hoses ? I should be able to get the gaskets from a MB dealer. Also should I use a permatex product to enhance the seal as my car has been heavily modded by the previous owner.
Not only saving $800. but the feeling of acomplishment would boost confidence to do more wrenching on my own.
HELP!!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You will need to get a set of Torx sockets for the bolts, and a good torque wrench.
I have seen many recommend the Permatex COPPER sealant for the new gaskets.
SRT6 guys - take over, as I am just stating what I have read and seen, not what I have done.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:11 PM

Thanks, I'm just a little unsure without a how to schematic with pics. I have been cursed with ADD and Dyslexia... isn't there a how to for crossgires?

Old 01-15-2016, 01:32 AM
Forum Regular

Brandoni,

I could not find any instructions that have pictures but I do have pictures of what I found when I removed my intake manifolds as I had the same issue some time back. I checked all fittings first and when that did not fix it, I removed the intake manifolds and found the gasket that was the issue. Good luck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gasket 1.jpg (52.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
Gasket 2.jpg (51.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 06:07 PM

Well I finally found the problem, a blown intake gasket on the passenger side. The strange thing is the gasket was made up of two cork/rubber gaskets sandwiching a plastic spacer in the exact shape as the gaskets. This rendered the rear bolt too short to catch the threads on the bottom, so the gaskets were not compressed equally. Don had gasket issues (2) also(previous owner), now it makes sence. Whoever replaced the stock metal gaskets with this setup didn't check the length of the bolts to make sure they caught the lower threads. Has anyone seen this before?

Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 PM

they cost around $100 ,,if u don't want sell them here is a add for them

Thermalnator is a unique high temperature shielding gasket which replaces the stock intake manifold gasket. Thermalnator’s cooling properties reduce heat by stopping metal to metal contact between the intake manifold and the engine block. By using a Thermalnator gasket, you will reduce the heat of the air entering your engine, making up to 5% more power. Thermalnator gaskets allow the intake manifold to perform like an intercooler. Because the manifold is no longer heated by the cylinder head, the heat from incoming air can dissipate through the aluminum very rapidly. The basic formula for this is for every 5 degrees F increase in intake air temp, air density is reduced by 1%. The denser the air is, the better the gain in horsepower.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
they cost around $100 ,,if u don't want sell them here is a add for them

Thermalnator is a unique high temperature shielding gasket which replaces the stock intake manifold gasket. Thermalnator’s cooling properties reduce heat by stopping metal to metal contact between the intake manifold and the engine block. By using a Thermalnator gasket, you will reduce the heat of the air entering your engine, making up to 5% more power. Thermalnator gaskets allow the intake manifold to perform like an intercooler. Because the manifold is no longer heated by the cylinder head, the heat from incoming air can dissipate through the aluminum very rapidly. The basic formula for this is for every 5 degrees F increase in intake air temp, air density is reduced by 1%. The denser the air is, the better the gain in horsepower.
Hey Jim...Who is selling these gaskets? Thanks..Squirrel Crusher

Old 01-18-2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
Hey Jim...Who is selling these gaskets? Thanks..Squirrel Crusher
I don't remember they were in abundance around 2012 Rob had them back then I forgot what they were called . jim
P S even used ones work very well just get stock gaskets on each side of them,

Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM

Thanks, it makes sense because Don spared no expense putting the most performance in this car. I just need to get a longer bolt for the rear thread. Any idea where I could find a longer bolt with the same thread?