Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Seeking purchase advice

Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking purchase advice

Ok, I'm comparing a few SRT6s to add one to the garage. But I'm torn. There are some seemingly good deals on cars with 50k miles or so, and then several with low miles that are quite a bit more. So, here's a scenario. If you had to choose between two cars (both with ok colors), both seem to be in good condition with no problems, one has nearly 50k miles and could be had for around $14k, while another has in the vicinity of 10k miles but is around $19k, which is the better deal? Neither have included warranty. Both from dealers.

I'm afraid the 50k mile one will require costly maintenance, but that there is less risk in "resale value". But the one with less miles will be more troublefree but expensive.

Has anyone gone through a similar decision process lately? Any advice? How about extended warranties (chrysler ones)?

Thanks.

Jay

Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Seeking purchase advice

depending on how many miles you're going to put on it, there may be more risk in "resale value" with the $14k one (add 50k miles to each, and the cheaper one now has 100k miles, and will severely depreciate)

if you are just going to drive it 5k miles a year, and have the $19k, and don't care if the car you're driving says 50k+ miles on it ... then get the cheaper one. I doubt you'd spend $5k on repair costs in a few years, and a bumper-to-bumper warranty is definitely less than that (do research on companies selling them though)

Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayded6
Ok, I'm comparing a few SRT6s to add one to the garage. But I'm torn. There are some seemingly good deals on cars with 50k miles or so, and then several with low miles that are quite a bit more. So, here's a scenario. If you had to choose between two cars (both with ok colors), both seem to be in good condition with no problems, one has nearly 50k miles and could be had for around $14k, while another has in the vicinity of 10k miles but is around $19k, which is the better deal? Neither have included warranty. Both from dealers.

I'm afraid the 50k mile one will require costly maintenance, but that there is less risk in "resale value". But the one with less miles will be more troublefree but expensive.

Has anyone gone through a similar decision process lately? Any advice? How about extended warranties (chrysler ones)?

Thanks.

Jay
The warranty is what you need to research now. Unless it's a shady online company offering you the warranty, I don't think you will be able to find one to purchase for the 50k mile one. Check with your local credit union to see what is the oldest year and highest mileage they will sell and extended warranty for. The chrysler max warranty was offered if you still had existing factory warranty left. I doubt you will find an SRT6 that has factory warranty left. If you can buy that warranty figure at least 1k for the lowest amounts of coverage. This is a mercedes after all. The biggest issue you would have if the motor went out. The tranny can be rebuilt for 2k or less. Supercharger could be costly if you fried one, unless you find a used one. A/C, power steering, etc..are $300 or so and you replace them. The electronic modules could get pricey too. Depends also if you plan to do the repairs yourself. If your not, then definitely pay the extra and get one with a warranty. Another question is worst case scenario would you have an extra few grand to repair your car if it did break something major?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I would not be afraid of anything AMG w/ 50K on it....but, if you buying to try and resale...later....well, that is a gamble as well...mine have both depreciated so far....I think, if in good shape, I would go with the $14k....

Old 10-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks all for the input so far! Very helpful.

I'm also debating what to do with my current magnum srt8...trade on a new 2010 SRT8 while there are amazing deals or wait for the upcoming 6.4L SRT8 due out mid next year. I think I need to focus on one at a time!

BTW, if anyone is in the Tampa area, has the desire and/or time to help look at a car for me, please let me know. Thanks again!

Jay

Old 10-29-2010, 06:47 PM

I'm also debating what to do with my current magnum srt8...trade on a new 2010 SRT8 while there are amazing deals or wait for the upcoming 6.4L SRT8 due out mid next year. I think I need to focus on one at a time!

Jay
What year SRT8 do you currently have? I have a Magnum R/T right now and always wanted the SRT8, but never got one since my wife drives it year round. If you got rid of your Magnum SRT, what SRT8 would you get? Charger, Challenger, or 300?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi, its a 2006. Low miles...only 33k and pristine. Have some extended warranty left too. Probably shouldn't trade yet as I love it and want to see what happens with the new SRT8s next year. But if the right deal at a dealership came along, or if someone was really interested in purchasing I'd consider. I feel they are extra special as they are not being made anymore too...but not sure everyone feels that way..you know how that goes.

There is 0% for 72 mo on Chargers and I think the 300's right now...and large discounts. So, if I did trade for a new SRT8 soon, it would probably be the charger because they are cheaper.

How do you like your R/T? what year?

Jay

Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 PM

How do you like your R/T? what year?

Jay
I have a 2005 RT, RWD. I like it a lot (when I am allowed to drive it that is). I kid because it is my wife's car, and she wanted something large, and I of course wanted the Hemi. It goes like hell for a wagon, but I can't imagine the power the SRT8 has. I haven't driven a SRT8 Magnum yet....any SRT8 for that matter.