Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

reverse polarity

Old 12-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reverse polarity

do you know if the srt 6 has reverse polarity on the battery?

Old 12-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 561 Likes on 471 Posts
Default Re: reverse polarity

Originally Posted by blueeyes147
do you know if the srt 6 has reverse polarity on the battery?
No reverse polarity, not sure what you mean but ....
The cars battery cables only fit one way, the correct way.

DO NOT TOUCH THEM THE OTHER WAY OR YOU WILL HAVE AN EXPLOSION AND RUINED ELECTRONICS.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
No reverse polarity, not sure what you mean but ....
The cars battery cables only fit one way, the correct way.

DO NOT TOUCH THEM THE OTHER WAY OR YOU WILL HAVE AN EXPLOSION AND RUINED ELECTRONICS.
Charger brand ctek it says that if the battery is charging without disconnecting it from the car red clip is connected to the positive pole and the black one is not connected to the negative pole but on a metal part of the car, away from the battery or in the case of reverse polarity connected to the battery negative and the positive to the metal part of the case AUTOto our cars have reverse polarity?

Old 12-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Charger brand ctek it says that if the battery is charging without disconnecting it from the car red clip is connected to the positive pole and the black one is not connected to the negative pole but on a metal part of the car, away from the battery or in the case of reverse polarity connected to the battery negative and the positive to the metal part of the case AUTOto our cars have reverse polarity?
The Crossfire does NOT have reverse polarity (and I've never heard of any car having reverse polarity)

Old 12-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The reason all the charger vendors say to connect the negative lead away from the battery is to avoid a possible
'explosion' which the tiny spark could cause if the battery happened to be out-gassing combustible fumes at the time.
Really never heard of that ever happening, myself, but company lawyers have to put in that kind of legalese, they have families to feed too.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
The Crossfire does NOT have reverse polarity (and I've never heard of any car having reverse polarity)
I think perhaps they are confusing the term "reverse polarity" for Positive Ground. The only car I've ever owned w/ positive ground was an old 48' DeSoto. Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-25-2013, 07:14 PM

I am thinking that blueeyes147 has a problem with the wording, he is interpreting the warning as a possible statement of fact.
The CTEK displays a warning if reverse connection to the battery occurs. Naturally the CTEK is connected to the battery BEFORE plugging the charger into the power outlet.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-25-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I am thinking that blueeyes147 has a problem with the wording, he is interpreting the warning as a possible statement of fact.
The CTEK displays a warning if reverse connection to the battery occurs. Naturally the CTEK is connected to the battery BEFORE plugging the charger into the power outlet.
That sounds about right.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
I think perhaps they are confusing the term "reverse polarity" for Positive Ground. The only car I've ever owned w/ positive ground was an old 48' DeSoto. Merry Christmas to all!
you're right I think you understood what I meant

Old 12-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, I had a 1965 Triumph Spitfire with REVERSE Polarity. Positive Ground. It was a bear to work on.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by TimTim
FYI, I had a 1965 Triumph Spitfire with REVERSE Polarity. Positive Ground. It was a bear to work on.
how will I ever know if my SRT6 has reverse polarity
Saluti

Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Your SRT6 does NOT have reverse polarity.
It is a negative ground system, like all modern cars.
All you have to do is be careful when connecting any battery charger to first connect the positive ( red ) lead to the positive battery terminal, then connect the negative ( black ) lead to any convenient body ground point.
( or, if you are like me, connect the negative to the negative battery terminal, however I absolve myself of all blame should something bad happen )

Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Your SRT6 does NOT have reverse polarity.
It is a negative ground system, like all modern cars.
All you have to do is be careful when connecting any battery charger to first connect the positive ( red ) lead to the positive battery terminal, then connect the negative ( black ) lead to any convenient body ground point.
( or, if you are like me, connect the negative to the negative battery terminal, however I absolve myself of all blame should something bad happen )
what brand and model of your battery has SRT6? I have problems with my remains stationary when (not used for a week) even with charger connected it is as if he lost power and the car starts, but incorrectly, as if he had problems with injection

Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Correct, many English cars back in the day had positive earths. Lucas designed them that was so the components would protect the fuses but letting their smoke escape first. (and if you believe that one I have this prime Florida land with lotsa Cypress and Mangrove). Many also had two six volt batteries instead of one 12v and in inaccessible locations.

Americans hid fuel fillers, windshield wipers, and radio antennas. The Brits hid the batteries.

However the Crossfire is German so uses a proper 12v battery in a proper location. The Group Size is H6 and are available many places

Anymore I buy only AGM batteries. About a 50% cost premium for 3X the life.

ps anything that sits for more than a week (anything not in the front garage) has a $5 float charger on it. They always start right up, even the diesel.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 AM

The Group Size is H6
They are also known as series 48 batteries.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Correct, many English cars back in the day had positive earths. Lucas designed them that was so the components would protect the fuses but letting their smoke escape first. (and if you believe that one I have this prime Florida land with lotsa Cypress and Mangrove). Many also had two six volt batteries instead of one 12v and in inaccessible locations.

Americans hid fuel fillers, windshield wipers, and radio antennas. The Brits hid the batteries.

However the Crossfire is German so uses a proper 12v battery in a proper location. The Group Size is H6 and are available many places

Anymore I buy only AGM batteries. About a 50% cost premium for 3X the life.

ps anything that sits for more than a week (anything not in the front garage) has a $5 float charger on it. They always start right up, even the diesel.

you're telling me that it is normal to have problems with the SRT6 if the car is stopped in the garage for a week or more without a charger? the SRT6 is very sensitive to voltage drops?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:48 AM

you're telling me that it is normal to have problems with the SRT6 if the car is stopped in the garage for a week or more without a charger? the SRT6 is very sensitive to voltage drops?
It is not normal with a GOOD battery, it would be normal with a WEAK battery.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
It is not normal with a GOOD battery, it would be normal with a WEAK battery.
OPTIMA REDTOP : BATTERIA OPTIMA RT C 4.2 REDTOP ROSSA 50Ah SUV SIGILLATA FURGONI AUTO CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP 4X4 ALTA POTENZA RTC4.2
I have this battery, it is perhaps not suitable for my SRT6

Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM

The Optima is a good BRAND battery, the condition however would depend upon it's age.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM

\
No, it should be OK with a good battery. As the battery ages and/or fails the uncharged time before it gets too weak will get less and less.

Quick Reply: reverse polarity