Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

supercharger pulley gap?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default supercharger pulley gap?

Could anyone be so kind to provide me the info for the "air gap" tolerance betwee. The blower pulley and the clutch? I checked the manual but was unsuccessful in locating such info. Thanks gang.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:38 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: supercharger pulley gap?

Originally Posted by rmcdaniel12
Could anyone be so kind to provide me the info for the "air gap" tolerance betwee. The blower pulley and the clutch? I checked the manual but was unsuccessful in locating such info. Thanks gang.
It is actually the gap between the clutch plate and the magnet. It is .012" to .016" ideally from my notes.
The gap between the clutch plate and the pulley is determined by the stops that the spring pulls the clutch plate back to.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

"The gap between the clutch plate and the pulley is determined by the stops that the spring pulls the clutch plate back to"...That's not the only determining factor as we found recently. The shim behind the SC pulley bearing and the amount of shims on the SC shaft have a lot to do with obtaining proper clearance gap

Old 02-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
"The gap between the clutch plate and a the pulley is determined by the stops that the spring pulls the clutch plate back to"...That's not the only determining factor as we found recently. The shim behind the SC pulley bearing and the amount of shims on the SC shaft have a lot to do with obtaining proper clearance gap
Is this an answer to my previous post?
The gap between the clutch plate and the pulley flange is set by the stops on the pulley flange - period. That is if the springs are doing their job correctly.
The gap between the magnet and the clutch plate is determined by the distance between the back of the bearing and the front face of the magnet face minus the distance between the back of the bearing and the rear face of the clutch plate. Shims between the back face of the bearing and the shaft shoulder will adjust the gap.
Any shims between the pulley shoulder inside and the back face of the outer bearing would be the result of poor design calculations or manufacturing errors as the snap ring should hold it close enough. Designed or made correctly no shims would not be required there.
When the springs do not pull the clutch plate back to the stops, the springs have failed and all bets are off.
Adhering to the basic sizes and materials of the OEM pulley and using real springs, the design of the pulleys should have been a doddle.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: supercharger pulley gap?

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It is actually the gap between the clutch plate and the magnet. It is .012" to .016" ideally from my notes.
The gap between the clutch plate and the pulley is determined by the stops that the spring pulls the clutch plate back to.
The correct gap is .35-.45mm, or .013-.017"

Old 08-29-2020, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=onehundred80;860084 Designed or made correctly no shims would not be required there.[/QUOTE]
~Was this double negative typed on purpose? I'm thinking-not on purpose as I am re-reading the posts concerning the shims. You (180) have provided a wealth of info on this subject which I am revisiting. I am about to re-install the pulley that I removed and sent out to Ed at PSC to use to test my rebuilt SC while waiting for the two new OEM pulleys to come in from overseas. I removed three (3) shims from the well maintained SC unit on the rescue ssb SRT. I did not mic. them and write the numbers down , I did receive (4) new shims with the new SC pulley that I need to mic and see if they are all the same. He installed and set up the pulley on the reman unit which I will probably set on the shelf with a new set of gaskets.
~ The quickest way to get the rescue SRT out of the garage so I can wash 6 months worth of dust off is to re-install the pulley I took off of it since it has plenty of "meat" on its mating surface. I'll put the other new OEM pulley on the shelf as well.
~ Rob at Needswings has shims in case anyone needs shims.
thanks