Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Super charger issues.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Super charger issues.

Originally Posted by EdwardB
My mechanic is most definitely not full of it. He's not trying to sell me on labor or parts, again I need to find the time to upload the most recent recording. He used a tool that did measure and isn't clueless.
Again, my pulley slides in and out of the shaft with NO resistance. This is on cold metal, not hot metal where you're supposed to use a towel to remove the pulley, he can do it with out the heat and put it on with out a mallet, that's how bad the shaft is when it comes to gripping the pulley
The SC pulley should slide on with no resistance. It's not a press on pulley. None of us that I know of has had to use a mallet! If the shaft is clean and free of surface rust it will slide on like butter. I finger spread a drop of Jet Oil II on the shaft beforehand. Is it possible that your mechanic is thinking there's a problem that really isn't there?

Old 03-31-2019, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dinasrt
The SC pulley should slide on with no resistance. It's not a press on pulley. None of us that I know of has had to use a mallet! If the shaft is clean and free of surface rust it will slide on like butter. I finger spread a drop of Jet Oil II on the shaft beforehand. Is it possible that your mechanic is thinkin there's a problem that really isn't there?
This was information that I got told by the phone call I took from I believe AMX, my mechanics question was if the pulley was supposed to be an easy slide on or was it supposed to be rough? I will upload the video early next morning to show you what hes talking about on the shaft being warped.

Can I get confirmation from another person if the pulley is supposed to be an easy slide on or not?

Old 03-31-2019, 08:08 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Anyone have the specs as to the size of the shaft? What replacement bearing is recommended? Seems like it would help a lot if some basic parameters are correct.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:35 AM

Full video, I recorded majority of what he showed me and he explains how he got to his explanation. Please excuse the kid getting chewed out in the background, some mom was having a meltdown with her kid.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6z5FvmVKyQ

Full video, I recorded majority of what he showed me and he explains how he got to his explanation. Please excuse the kid getting chewed out in the background, some mom was having a meltdown with her kid.
just curious what started all this were you have some sort of a problem

Old 03-31-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Moore2575
just curious what started all this were you have some sort of a problem
My car when idling had a really obnoxious sound, almost like a knock and I figured it was a loose belt. We got the belt changed, got a tensioner pulley and the bearing done, but my mechanic is saying he doesn't feel comfortable sending me out with the supercharger being in the shape that it's in and that the sound was still there after the changes from what he had said.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 PM

My car when idling had a really obnoxious sound, almost like a knock and I figured it was a loose belt. We got the belt changed, got a tensioner pulley and the bearing done, but my mechanic is saying he doesn't feel comfortable sending me out with the supercharger being in the shape that it's in and that the sound was still there after the changes from what he had said.
ok thanks. Hope you get it running soon in know how it is having a car sitting lookin pretty but cant drive it . I just got my crossfire late last December id hate not being able to drive it

Old 03-31-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Moore2575
ok thanks. Hope you get it running soon in know how it is having a car sitting lookin pretty but cant drive it . I just got my crossfire late last December id hate not being able to drive it
Thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, I got the other blower on the way, and that will settle things once and for all I THINK. It's unlikely I pull a second blower with the same exact issue, so my mechanic should be able to compare the two and figure it out.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:15 PM

Thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, I got the other blower on the way, and that will settle things once and for all I THINK. It's unlikely I pull a second blower with the same exact issue, so my mechanic should be able to compare the two and figure it out.
Unless your "mechanic" checked the runout of the output shaft and found it to be "warped", my money is on the second blower being exactly the same because there's nothing wrong with the one you have now. I heard you guys mention that you should only be able to remove the SC pulley when it's hot. That's ridiculous and not true. On the other hand, if he chose to put a layer of tin foil on the shaft, he must have determined that the shaft wasn't warped? And that didn't fix the knock either, right?

Old 03-31-2019, 02:22 PM

Unless your "mechanic" checked the runout of the output shaft and found it to be "warped", my money is on the second blower being exactly the same because there's nothing wrong with the one you have now. I heard you guys mention that you should only be able to remove the SC pulley when it's hot. That's ridiculous and not true. On the other hand, if he chose to put a layer of tin foil on the shaft, he must have determined that the shaft wasn't warped? And that didn't fix the knock either, right?
I got that information from another forum member, AMX. I was going off of what he told me, I will tell my mechanic and have to follow up on the knock. What else could it be if it's still there?

Old 03-31-2019, 03:25 PM

I got that information from another forum member, AMX. I was going off of what he told me, I will tell my mechanic and have to follow up on the knock. What else could it be if it's still there?
Have your mechanic use a mechanics stethoscope, or a short length of rubber water hose up to the ear to search out/find the source of the knock. Hope it's an easy fix; good luck with it.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:18 PM

Have your mechanic use a mechanics stethoscope, or a short length of rubber water hose up to the ear to search out/find the source of the knock. Hope it's an easy fix; good luck with it.
my opinion that should have been the first thing done

Old 03-31-2019, 07:42 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Following and reading along . . . just choosing not contribute to the confusion . . .

Old 03-31-2019, 10:35 PM

We're waiting for second blower before moving forward on anything

Old 04-01-2019, 06:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I’ve never heard about the blower shaft going bad. Usually when the blower is deemed bad it is because the seal inside has went and started leaking blower oil. Even then they still work.

Is your blower pulley stock? You said you changed the bearing in the pulley? What kind of bearing did you use? Is there any play with the bearing in the pulley? It should not move back and forth as it is pressed in.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Forum Regular

This was information that I got told by the phone call I took from I believe AMX, my mechanics question was if the pulley was supposed to be an easy slide on or was it supposed to be rough? I will upload the video early next morning to show you what hes talking about on the shaft being warped.

Can I get confirmation from another person if the pulley is supposed to be an easy slide on or not?
I have fitted several SC pulleys, and each one has slid on the shaft without any force, at ambient temperature, The old ones also slide off.
The only time you need anything heated, is if you are changing the pulley bearing. In this case you can use heat, to aid in the installation.
As far as a noise is concerned, is it coming from the gears perhaps, has he checked the oil in the front of the supercharger casing ?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

if you are disassembling your blower one other way is to go to a bearing place , take your shaft and pulley ask for a bearing with the outside dia. of your bearing and the inside dia will be determined by what size you can turn your shaft too
example lets say your bearing is 2" outside dia and 1" inside dia and you find a like bearing with 2" outside dia. and 15/16 =0.9375 inside dia then you would cut down your shaft down to 0.9377 to give you a 0.2 interference fit. that is if you are disassembling your blower ask your mechanic about this? jim

Old 04-02-2019, 10:30 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
if you are disassembling your blower one other way is to go to a bearing place , take your shaft and pulley ask for a bearing with the outside dia. of your bearing and the inside dia will be determined by what size you can turn your shaft too
example lets say your bearing is 2" outside dia and 1" inside dia and you find a like bearing with 2" outside dia. and 15/16 =0.9375 inside dia then you would cut down your shaft down to 0.9377 to give you a 0.2 interference fit. that is if you are disassembling your blower ask your mechanic about this? jim
I am afraid that is not how it works.
There is no need for an interference fit on the inside diameter as it is clamped to the shaft with the washer. Normally the bearing slides onto the shaft if it is put on squarely to a clean shaft. There maybe a very slight interference fit on the outside diameter. The specified bearing comes with specific sizes.. There is not such a large range of bearings that you can pick a bearing with a slight change in one size while maintaining the other sizes. There is a industry wide standardized size for bearings of each bearing type. Other size bearings are specials and expensive.
The OEM bearing is 55mm OD x 32mm ID x 23mm thick. There are specific tolerances for the bearings and specific tolerances for the bore or the shaft which it meant to fit. The actual sizes of the bore and shaft determine the type of fit deemed suitable for the application at hand.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-02-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:35 AM

Dude, I've only messed around with my SC once so i don't have a lot of experience but based on those two videos, everything seems normal. Unsure why you need shims when there is one visible (possibly 2 stacked) sitting on your SC in the first video. Im also struggling to understand how the shaft could be warped or worn. Is it a high mileage car? You may want to consider getting a second opinion from another mechanic. Hope you get your car back on the road soon. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by 15Spokes
Dude, I've only messed around with my SC once so i don't have a lot of experience but based on those two videos, everything seems normal. Unsure why you need shims when there is one visible (possibly 2 stacked) sitting on your SC in the first video. Im also struggling to understand how the shaft could be warped or worn. Is it a high mileage car? You may want to consider getting a second opinion from another mechanic. Hope you get your car back on the road soon. Good luck.
Just looking at the last video it would appear to me that the gap is larger than the .016 to .020 gap that is specified. A large gap puts too much load on the three dog bone springs.
A measurement of the shaft would be a good idea.

Quick Reply: Super charger issues.