Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Super charger issues.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Super charger issues.

My mechanic has replaced some pulleys, a belt and bearings and I am now in search of shims.
We have a question as to much play should be between the pulley and the shaft to where it mounts. there's a fair bit of play that my mechanic is concerned about. Is there any way to just replace the shaft to where it mounts? Can anyone point me in the right direction? My car has been sitting for two weeks and i'm losing hope

Old 03-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Super charger issues.

Originally Posted by EdwardB
My mechanic has replaced some pulleys, a belt and bearings and I am now in search of shims.
We have a question as to much play should be between the pulley and the shaft to where it mounts. there's a fair bit of play that my mechanic is concerned about. Is there any way to just replace the shaft to where it mounts? Can anyone point me in the right direction? My car has been sitting for two weeks and i'm losing hope
You mean SC shims right? Your description is open to various interpretations. How much play is there? Did he lose some shims? Is it the standard SC pulley?

Old 03-29-2019, 10:40 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

the pulley should slide on ,sometimes u need to tap the pulley on to the shaft there should be no play sideways with pulley and shaft.
the distance between the pulley and the supercharger housing i am not sure because i set mine a little tight , but i think you can set it about .015 to 020 measured at three places all at once because the springs in it lets it move if you try to measure on only one side.
shaft replacement ,,new supercharger or take yours apart ,replace the rotors.
put your pulley on and ,,turn,,rotate the magnetic pulley (that black looking thing behind the pulley) if it turns and is about 0.10 to .030 clearance you should be good.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emla...ature=youtu.be

This is what I was able to record. Let me know if this helps :

Old 03-29-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by amx1397
the pulley should slide on ,sometimes u need to tap the pulley on to the shaft there should be no play sideways with pulley and shaft.
the distance between the pulley and the supercharger housing i am not sure because i set mine a little tight , but i think you can set it about .015 to 020 measured at three places all at once because the springs in it lets it move if you try to measure on only one side.
shaft replacement ,,new supercharger or take yours apart ,replace the rotors.
put your pulley on and ,,turn,,rotate the magnetic pulley (that black looking thing behind the pulley) if it turns and is about 0.10 to .030 clearance you should be good.
I did forward this to my mechanic, I will let you know what his response is.
Thank you for replying, I'm at a loss with this car and I just want it driving again.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:34 PM

it looks like the supercharger bearing (not pulley bearing) is bad,, u may have to get a new supercharger,,, needswings has one i think.. remove the s c pulley ,,see if the shaft moves in and out or is it the supercharger magnet sorry i am out of town right now after the first of the month i will get you a answer,, pm me your # so i can call u also get needswings to call u

Old 03-29-2019, 01:57 PM

Does anyone rebuild our supercharger? This is looking like best route

Old 03-29-2019, 02:11 PM

Does anyone rebuild our supercharger? This is looking like best route

cost way too much ,, used is the best way to go. there are some on ebay but Needswings is the best place to buy WE KNOW HIM he had one of the fastest srt6 and been a member here for years.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
cost way too much ,, used is the best way to go. there are some on ebay but Needswings is the best place to buy WE KNOW HIM he had one of the fastest srt6 and been a member here for years.
I would not attempt to diagnose anything from that video, a glove, a light and camera that moves around,too much is done in the dark, no close ups of the problem, a pulley that slides back and forth when not bolted down.
The bearings are simple to replace if one is gone, that is just the front portion of the SC and comes off. It is the rear portion of the SC where the rotors are that costs. The front section is basically gears, bearings and a housing.
Get some nice pics and close ups.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:59 PM

Old 03-29-2019, 04:31 PM

OK, where is the excess play or insufficient play?

Old 03-29-2019, 04:43 PM

" Clutch Hub that's mounted on Supercharger is Warped 0.05 - 0.010 and The Play between Bearing and Shaft." Per my mechanic

Also:
"the Clutch hub bearing and shaft have a lot of gap the Bearing Floats around the shaft before tightening the Front bolt and centering washer. Usually Bearing ID That's the Race when sliding over the shaft theres quit a bit resistance instead of nothing."

Last edited by EdwardB; 03-29-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:22 PM

if when the pulley is bolted tight there is movement then yes the shaft or bearing is worn ,,bolt the pulley on and then tell us the movement .

Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM

I have to put a delay on heading directly over, I am going to take clear pictures and videos and try to clearly write up what my mechanic is saying the issues are. I did purchase an ebay one that is in ehh condition. we will see, it has a return policy of 30 days so I should be alright.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:05 AM

Okay, after another visit to my mechanic and a phone call from Jim and he helped clear some things up.
The shaft itself is most definitely worn, most likely from heat transfer. The pulley slides in and out of the shaft with NO resistance. I have this all recorded and will be uploading to youtube and be posting on here to show you guys.

We are going to JB Weld the shaft and make a better fit for the pulley, and have ordered a separate blower and plan on rebuilding it after we get the prices worked out from some stores to have a new one laying around when and if this super charger fails.

Thanks for your guys help, this has been a long two weeks.

I am still in need of shims and will be contacting eurocharged again to see if they have them..
If anyone can help me find some, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:04 AM

Okay, after another visit to my mechanic and a phone call from Jim and he helped clear some things up.
The shaft itself is most definitely worn, most likely from heat transfer. The pulley slides in and out of the shaft with NO resistance. I have this all recorded and will be uploading to youtube and be posting on here to show you guys.

We are going to JB Weld the shaft and make a better fit for the pulley, and have ordered a separate blower and plan on rebuilding it after we get the prices worked out from some stores to have a new one laying around when and if this super charger fails.

Thanks for your guys help, this has been a long two weeks.

I am still in need of shims and will be contacting eurocharged again to see if they have them..
If anyone can help me find some, I'd greatly appreciate it.
This is quite comical, JB Weld, shaft wear due to heat transfer. WTF
Red Green would approve.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Kinda curious, how do you adjust fit/clearance with JB Weld ?
Not knocking JB Weld, fixed my Probe radiator neck where squirrels chewed it 3 years ago and still holding
( along with a popsicle stick for added support )

Old 03-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This is quite comical, JB Weld, shaft wear due to heat transfer. WTF
Red Green would approve.

so this is where the term "backyard mechanic" comes from lol . Ive got a better term but i wont say it. This is just stupid . I think id be searching for a new mechanic or getting a new car "one that means something to me a lil more than this"

Old 03-30-2019, 11:38 AM

There's not a lot of options for a worn shaft. It's not like this is a perm fix it's just temporary. I have a new blower on the way. We're considering our options, this wasn't my expectations to have a supercharger be worn this badly. I'm asking for help, not ridicule.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:38 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I see you joined about 13 months ago.
You should know by now that the price of admission is just a wee bit of ridicule from onehundred80.
He can't help it, it's his crusty Limey nature.
He's burned me so many times I have no hair left anywhere on my body
You'll grow to love him just like the rest of us have.
He DOES know more s**t about these cars than almost anyone else, and has an encyclopedic memory.

Quick Reply: Super charger issues.