Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Where to find a transmission dip stick?

Old 04-28-2022, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to find a transmission dip stick?

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT 6 and somehow the automatic transmission dip stick is missing. Any suggestions on how to get one? I went to CarID and purchased one but it is too long and now I'm trying to return it. Suggestions? Advice?

Old 04-28-2022, 07:48 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: Where to find a transmission dip stick?

E bay,,,,mercedes dealer they are longer than needed for the crossfire one almost fits all ,,,,,,,,then get instructions how to use it

Old 04-28-2022, 07:51 PM

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:11 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

These cars didn't come with a traditional transmission dip stick so nothing is missing. As another posted you can buy one that you can feed down into the tube to take measurements but they are longer and are only for checking... Not something that serves as a traditional dip stick with a cap that stays in place. There are videos on Youtube on how to use them and take the measurement.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

https://www.needswings.com/transmiss...level-dipstick

The following users liked this post:
jumpunjim1 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 11:59 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpunjim1
I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT 6 and somehow the automatic transmission dip stick is missing. Any suggestions on how to get one? I went to CarID and purchased one but it is too long and now I'm trying to return it. Suggestions? Advice?
I now see you have one,well they are all too long. I never really used mine too much at all, no leaks so just an occasional check.
Amazon has them for under $20 for the 722.6 tranny, two day delivery.
There is away to save the cap on the dip stick tube or you can buy new ones. The method to reuse the plug is on here somewhere.
Or eBay for less money from China, with a longer deliver, same part actually.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-29-2022 at 03:35 PM. Reason: I misread the post.
jumpunjim1 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 12:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Where to find a transmission dip stick?

Originally Posted by Deepsea21
These cars didn't come with a traditional transmission dip stick so nothing is missing. As another posted you can buy one that you can feed down into the tube to take measurements but they are longer and are only for checking... Not something that serves as a traditional dip stick with a cap that stays in place. There are videos on Youtube on how to use them and take the measurement.
" Not something that serves as a traditional dip stick with a cap that stays in place " Wrong, I did it . . . It can be done with some modifications to the cap itself and also to the too long dip stik bought on line like the one in the picture below . . . Look closely at the picture of the cap with the dip stick install in place .

First, take the lock pin of the handle off, now, use a small torch and heat the steel cable at about an inch-and-a-half below the handle until the plastic get soft enought until you are able to unscrew the handle off the steel cable without damagind it . Cut clean with a dremel or somethig similar, the steel cable to the proper length starting from the end of the tip of the dip stick . . . aproximatly 27" was the proper lenght for my N/A .

Find a piece of 4" long of soft plastic tube that snug fit, but that you can also be able too slide on the steel cable . Slip it on the steel cable far down because you will have to reheat the steel cable in order to reinstall the handle on the steel cable, later . . . Now drill the center of your original cap to a little less diameter of the tube inserted on the steel cable . The cap have to be able to slide on the tube but with egnought resistance to support the steel cable weight.

Attention. . . the resistance between the plastic tube and the Cap is crutial because you do not want the tip of the dip stick to lay, or bend in the bottom of the pan, when the did stick is not in use . . . only when mesuring the level it should touch the bottom of the transmission pan.

Slip the cap that have been drill to the proper dimention on the tube. Reheat the steel cable to the point that you are able to re-screw the handle back on the steel cable until it bottom down on the steel cable. A drop of crazy glue in the hole of the lock pin, re-insert the lock pin in place. Slide the cap below the tube, slide the tube all the way up to the Handle, slide the cap on the tube .

How to use . . . mesuring: Side the cap on the pastic tube all the way up to the top of the tube, just below the handle, insert dip stick in tube until it touch the bottom of the pan, take it out to read the level of the tranmission fluid. When not in use . . . slide down the cap on the tube in order to not have the tip of the dip stick not resting in the bottom of the pan. In that last picture , the dip stick is in position, but, the dip stick tip is not all the way in the bottom of the pan and it is the resistance of the cap on the tube that support the weight of the entire assembly . The weight of the dip stick keep the cap tite on the end of the tube.

The date on pictures is when i did my design. Many bump and hole on road have tested that it stay in place. It as proven to be just like a regular dip stick and i love it because i am able to check transmission level when and where ever I want.

I am really sorry for my Anglais . . . I am french Canadian . . .

Daniel

Last edited by LagDan; 04-30-2022 at 12:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LagDan:
Deepsea21 (05-10-2022), nemiro (05-02-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 03:15 PM

Great write up and advice. Thank you so much!

Old 05-10-2022, 07:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Where to find a transmission dip stick TUBE?!?!?

I am getting ready to do a total trans flush per the Youtube instructions of "Car D Ologist" - An absolutely fantastic demo of how to COMPLETELY flush your Crossfire Auto Transmission. I have ordered the filter kit, the correct fluid (14 liters), and all the accoutrements.

HOWEVER. Today, while doing my oil change. I started looking for the transmission dipstick TUBE. I KNOW they left the dipstick out, but my problem is that I can't even find the TUBE that it would be in, if it actually had one.
Did they omit the tube itself during Crossfire production?

I think I am looking in the correct spot.
R/H side of the engine, at the back, just in front of the firewall, just forward of the heat shield. Isn't this where it is supposed to be, capped off? I can look straight down at the transmission, and there is a 2" length of what I THINK could be a small length of tube installed in the transmission, but I am puzzled by what I am looking at. If this is indeed the tube, how would you put a dipstick in it to get a reading? And how would you cap if off again? You would have to be under the car, and the dipstick tube is only 2 inches long, if I am even looking at the right thing.
I expected to see a tube sticking up like a typical auto trans filler tube, but there is nothing there.
Does anyone have a pic of the dipstick tube?
Is there a kit I need to buy to install such a tube?
I know I need to buy a dipstick, but first I need to find out where I can actually put it in to check the trans fluid level.
As far as a dipstick goes, should I just buy one for a Mercedes 600.2 trans, and use it as described in other posts?

Old 05-10-2022, 07:35 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

That's pretty cool LagDan.. Kudos!

Old 05-10-2022, 07:48 PM

You can see the red end of the dipstick in the bottom photo posted by LagDan. It is a bit dark but you can just see it.
It is close to and halfway along the rear edge of the engine cover.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:57 PM

Yes, I can see the dipstick he modified. But is it inserted into a tube? Or just out in the open air? If it's out in the open air, then where exactly does it go into the transmission pan? and through what opening? In other words, where does this dipstick actually go? Where he has the red end of the dipstick in the pic, THERE IS NO TUBE OR OPENING it could be placed in on my car. There is no hole for it.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by BrushRoadster!
Yes, I can see the dipstick he modified. But is it inserted into a tube? Or just out in the open air? If it's out in the open air, then where exactly does it go into the transmission pan? and through what opening? In other words, where does this dipstick actually go? Where he has the red end of the dipstick in the pic, THERE IS NO TUBE OR OPENING it could be placed in on my car. There is no hole for it.
There is a dipstick tube there, normally covered with a snap on cover. He has modified the dipstick so that it fits tightly in place of the snap on cover.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:14 PM

I found the Chrysler number for the dipstick/trans fill tube.

It is Mopar # 5098738AA. But they run about $100 each, and I think the Mercedes part would be half that or less.
Does anyone have access to the Mercedes parts book for the Crossfire transmission, that shows the transmission filler tube and gives the Mercedes part number?
Thanks!

Old 05-10-2022, 11:39 PM

It is Mopar # 5098738AA. But they run about $100 each, and I think the Mercedes part would be half that or less.
Does anyone have access to the Mercedes parts book for the Crossfire transmission, that shows the transmission filler tube and gives the Mercedes part number?
Thanks!
You can see the dipstick tube is more than 2" long, in the photo you can see the red cap on the black tube that goes out of sight under the firewall back to the transmission. How or why somebody would cut it back to 2” is beyond me, it would be so far back you would not be able to see it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-11-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:20 AM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

Where to find a transmission dipstick?
perhaps we should task our transmission expert to weigh in on this.

im sure it could be addressed in 4 separate “new” threads or leas

​​​​​​

(I’m kidding, please no new transmission threads)

Old 05-11-2022, 10:57 AM

Thanks!
First time ever eard about an so short transmission tube on a crossfire transmission . . . Year and model ?
Get one from a scrap yard or Plus d'informations pour MOPAR 5098738AA (rockauto.com)
But ,if you have time and patience . . . search in there: MBChry.pdf (chrysler.com)

Daniel

Old 05-11-2022, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Where to find a transmission dipstick?
perhaps we should task our transmission expert to weigh in on this.

im sure it could be addressed in 4 separate “new” threads or leas

​​​​​​

(I’m kidding, please no new transmission threads)
I was so impressed by the cheap dipsticks I purchased the company.
Too many people, I have to be PC and say people and not say men, have beards or stubble these days so I sold the Remington electric shaver company.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-11-2022 at 03:32 PM.
BrushRoadster! (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Deepsea21
That's pretty cool LagDan.. Kudos!
Thanks . . . i have made an separate thread in the TSBs and How-To Articles section with some text modification. Hope it will help understand better how to do it .

Make your permanent transmission DIP Stick . . . - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

Daniel

Old 05-11-2022, 12:45 PM

Like "Car D Ologist" who did the excellent transmission flushing video, I too, have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
AND, I own a company that produces "non-existent dip sticks". Currently we are the largest company in the world that produces these. I have hired the finest German craftsmen, some retired from Mercedes Benz, and others paraplegic Austrian Alpenhorn makers. They craft these with excellent attention to detail, including hand carving and silver trimming. There are none finer anywhere!
If you want one for your car, just drop by. If we are closed, you can just shove your money under the door.