Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Best way to care for the leather and keep that new car/leather smell

Old 11-03-2005, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to care for the leather and keep that new car/leather smell

Is it a consensus that Griot's Garage Leather care for the leather interior is the best around? Also, I would like to get a good leather scent. Any other brands that are as good as Griot's?

I want to get something to use before the winter, and am curious what the latest favorite is.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Default Re: Best way to care for the leather and keep that new car/leather smell

I have Griots' leather cleaner/conditioner. I may be particular or I may really have believed the hype but it certainly did not smell like leather.

To me it smells just like all the other imitation leather scented car spray. Zaino has one as well but I'm not sure about the scent.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Best way to care for the leather and keep that new car/leather smell

I use Griots leather conditioner and it does smell like leather. I catch myself smelling my hands afterwards, even after washing them. They also sell a leather spray scent that's good, expensive, but good! www.griotsgarage.com

Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Default Re: Best way to care for the leather and keep that new car/leather smell

Aero Blue - Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and order some so hopefully I can get it in time to take advantage of the upcoming nice weekend that is forecasted.

Since you are the resident detailer, I have a wax question too. In preparation for winter storage, last Thursday I did the Zymol cleaner/wax process. Would like to give Crossfire another coat of quality wax before the snow flies, but don't think I need to use the cleaner wax again. Any recommendations? Prefer something I can buy locally if possible.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use Meguire's NXT. I here it is good at making metallic flakes have that "popping" effect!

Old 01-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone used the official D/C leather cleaner/conditioner? I haven't put anything on my seats yet because I really like that matte finish. Is there anything I can use that will prevent them from getting shiny over time?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Best way to care for the leather and keep that new car/leather smell

Griots offers a leather scent thats awesome! Its $7.00 for a 4 oz bottle, not cheap but this stuff is the real deal. They also offer a vanilla scent thats equally great! BTW, your going to want to pick up some of their interior cleaner as well so you clean the leather before applying the product, it too is great, actually its the best cleaner I've ever used!

Old 01-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gekkoski
Aero Blue - Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and order some so hopefully I can get it in time to take advantage of the upcoming nice weekend that is forecasted.

Since you are the resident detailer, I have a wax question too. In preparation for winter storage, last Thursday I did the Zymol cleaner/wax process. Would like to give Crossfire another coat of quality wax before the snow flies, but don't think I need to use the cleaner wax again. Any recommendations? Prefer something I can buy locally if possible.
Sorry about the double post guys pertaining to the leather treatment, doh! As far as the wax goes, sorry again but something local you can get and is good would be Mequiars NXT, easy on and easier off!

Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 PM

TO AB:

I know this is off topic... but it seems as if you spend alot of money on trying just about everything out there.

In a previous conversation, you stated an edge you have with Griots over Zaino is the cost. (I fail to see where the cost saving is since you seem to buy everything on the market)

I know we have different tastes as our comments on some of the same products are different.

So have you tried Zaino? I'm not trying to get you to waste your money, I will certainly buy it off you if you want to get rid of it. I really don't care if you like it or not, I'm more interested in seeing what your view of it is as compared to mine.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Forum Regular
Arrow Re: Best way to care for the leather and keep that new car/leather smell

I'm not interested in trying Zaino, the steps really turn me off. I have alot of products because I detail cars on the side and want to offer my customers more, more is good! The Klasse twins cost me $53.00 and that included a mircrofiber towel and 2 applicators, the Pinnacle "signature series" was $35.00 but was brought to my attention that another site had it on sale for $20.00. So if you look at it, the package to do a proper job after claying would be about $90.00, but if you use the S100 I have, the cost would go down to $75.00 or up to $113.00 if factor in the Pinnacle 'Souveran" (on sale for $60.00). IMO the Klasse will net the same results as Zaino and FWIW, could be used all by them selves, thus costing you the original $53.00. It seems that after you clay initially, you wanna use the AIO and then go with atleast 2 coats of SG to get the desired effect. The bottom line is this, I'm stocking up now so that in the spring and summer I can pocket more of the profit instead of putting into re-stocking fees!

Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it worth my son said he has a friend that got the Zaino car kit for Christmas which has the leather cleaner in it and it does smell like new leather. Sean has ordered some, I'm sure we will report back, for once I get to steal his detailing stuff.

Pat

Old 01-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here's the follow up to my above post. I used his Zaino leather conditioner, not the cleaner and it does have a nice new leather smell to it. What impressed me most about the stuff was the look. Of all the leather treatments I've used this stuff really makes it look nice. Before you call me a total Zaino zealot just let me say I'm picky about the stuff I use on my cars. I don't like Zaino's tire formula or the new detailing spray. I think the Zaino Z-6 is still the best detailing spray they offer and its cheaper. I really don't see much difference when I use them as recommended.
Just my 10 cents on the subject.

Pat