Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

SRT6 Engine Transplant

Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: SRT6 Engine Transplant

Sooooo if I bought a SRT motor off of Ebay I would have to take the damn thing apart to put it in my Limited. Ugh. Why can't I just plop it in?

This is a serious question.

I just finished paying off the super charger for my Porsche at a cost of $5,000. I could get an entire SRT motor off ebay for that price from LKQ. Who could do this work for me?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice work Derek!!!

Lookin really good buddy.

For the intercooler I'd suggest running soft lines back to the passenger seat area (for balance) and put your coolant reservior there, that way you have easy access to add dry ice or just monitor your temps. I would recommend a minimum three gallon capacity on the reservior.

Cheers!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i NOTICED THAT THERE IS AN OIL COOLER NEXT TO THE OIL FILTER IN THOSE PICTURES, IS THIS ALSO ON THE srt6 CARS OR WAS THIS AN ACTUAL amg32 MOTOR?

sorry..stupid capslock key!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Sooooo if I bought a SRT motor off of Ebay I would have to take the damn thing apart to put it in my Limited. Ugh. Why can't I just plop it in?

This is a serious question.

I just finished paying off the super charger for my Porsche at a cost of $5,000. I could get an entire SRT motor off ebay for that price from LKQ. Who could do this work for me?
No, you don't have to tear it down to install it... I just figured I would port the intakes and exhaust, install Schrick cams and bore the supercharger inlet / outlet before I plopped it in

Bare in mind, my application is MUCH easier than any street application because I don't have to worry about integrating any functioning accessories accept brake lights... The OEM computers are going in the trash and replaced with a MOTEC M600 with drive by wire.

I was lucky enough to find a SRT6 engine with the full wiring harness and all sensors, so I built a custom wiring loom with only the necessary sensors that the MOTEC system needs...

Old 10-30-2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Nice work Derek!!!

Lookin really good buddy.

For the intercooler I'd suggest running soft lines back to the passenger seat area (for balance) and put your coolant reservior there, that way you have easy access to add dry ice or just monitor your temps. I would recommend a minimum three gallon capacity on the reservior.

Cheers!
Thanks Jody, it's still a work in progress... I'm doing all the work myself so it's taking much longer than farming it out (TO THE PROFESSIONALS )... I have, what I think is a pretty trick set-up for the intercooler / heat exchanger and plumbing... I've ported and polished the intake and outlet of the OEM Garrett charge air cooler and acid washed the core to get all the manufacturing debris out from between the fins ( A BUNCH OF IT)... "MADE IN MEXICO" remember ? I also bored the OEM 5/8" inlet / outlet to 3/4" and fitted them with new brass fittings.

Also, when I disassembled the engine, I noticed there is a good 3/4" gap between the charge air cooler and the V in the upper portion of the block, so I am making a insulation blanket that will fit into this gap. (http://www.thermotec.com/) and absorb some of the radiated heat from the engine.

I have also hired Gerharf Schruf (Bell Intercoolers) to make a custom heat exchanger that is 3.5" D X 6.5" H X 18" W with 3/4" pipe barb that will fit nicely in front of the radiator ($389). This will be fed by the Johnson Marine Impeller Pump #10-24540-03 that is rated at 6.9 gal per min. and has 3/4" pipe barbs at both ends ($169).

Now the plumbing took me a bit of thought, especially after studying the way the OEM was set-up and how prone it is to HEAT SOAK... The OEM intercooler pipes are these puny aluminum, un-insulated tubes and the shared coolant tank is rediculous for serious HP. So, I am having custom 3/4" "heat sink" tube made by Cain Industries (http://www.cainind.com/) that will reduce coolant temperatures by a factor of 12:1 (2- 6' sections $380)

Then, for the coolant tank... Skeets Holland is making a custom 1.5 gal. coolant tank with baffled slots to insert four 2" X 6" X 6" blocks of dry ice. The entire cooling system will use alcohol and propylene glycol. ($450) I have not decided where to place the tank yet, but under the hood is definately not the location of choice !!! Your idea is more likely, however, that is where the MOTEC is going, so that is a consideration...

Wait until you see my version of the full race CAI for this thing... It won't even run through the engine bay...

Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
i NOTICED THAT THERE IS AN OIL COOLER NEXT TO THE OIL FILTER IN THOSE PICTURES, IS THIS ALSO ON THE srt6 CARS OR WAS THIS AN ACTUAL amg32 MOTOR?

sorry..stupid capslock key!
That's the SRT6 engine... They all (AMG M112) engines have that silly oil cooler... Another semi-useful part that needs serious upgrading !!!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by HDDP
That's the SRT6 engine... They all (AMG M112) engines have that silly oil cooler... Another semi-useful part that needs serious upgrading !!!
can it bolt up to the NA engine or is it a complete part of the block?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM

call me nuts, but For all this effort your going to, wouldn't it be easier to forget about the supercharger and just bolt in a couple turbos, this should give you more room to fab up an air-cooler, plus you can make more hp for the same amount of airpressure?
Originally Posted by HDDP
Thanks Jody, it's still a work in progress... I'm doing all the work myself so it's taking much longer than farming it out (TO THE PROFESSIONALS )... I have, what I think is a pretty trick set-up for the intercooler / heat exchanger and plumbing... I've ported and polished the intake and outlet of the OEM Garrett charge air cooler and acid washed the core to get all the manufacturing debris out from between the fins ( A BUNCH OF IT)... "MADE IN MEXICO" remember ? I also bored the OEM 5/8" inlet / outlet to 3/4" and fitted them with new brass fittings.

Also, when I disassembled the engine, I noticed there is a good 3/4" gap between the charge air cooler and the V in the upper portion of the block, so I am making a insulation blanket that will fit into this gap. (http://www.thermotec.com/) and absorb some of the radiated heat from the engine.

I have also hired Gerharf Schruf (Bell Intercoolers) to make a custom heat exchanger that is 3.5" D X 6.5" H X 18" W with 3/4" pipe barb that will fit nicely in front of the radiator ($389). This will be fed by the Johnson Marine Impeller Pump #10-24540-03 that is rated at 6.9 gal per min. and has 3/4" pipe barbs at both ends ($169).

Now the plumbing took me a bit of thought, especially after studying the way the OEM was set-up and how prone it is to HEAT SOAK... The OEM intercooler pipes are these puny aluminum, un-insulated tubes and the shared coolant tank is rediculous for serious HP. So, I am having custom 3/4" "heat sink" tube made by Cain Industries (http://www.cainind.com/) that will reduce coolant temperatures by a factor of 12:1 (2- 6' sections $380)

Then, for the coolant tank... Skeets Holland is making a custom 1.5 gal. coolant tank with baffled slots to insert four 2" X 6" X 6" blocks of dry ice. The entire cooling system will use alcohol and propylene glycol. ($450) I have not decided where to place the tank yet, but under the hood is definately not the location of choice !!! Your idea is more likely, however, that is where the MOTEC is going, so that is a consideration...

Wait until you see my version of the full race CAI for this thing... It won't even run through the engine bay...

Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin Good! Can't wait to se the final product.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 PM

HDDP, would you mind not throwing that stuff out? I could use it when I buy the SRT motor from LKQ. I'm being serious.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:11 PM

I sure would like to get that oil cooler assembly if it's a direct bolt on part to the NA motor

Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Derek
All I can say is WOW What class is that small mod going to put in and against what cars are you going to compete against?
And are you planing to bolt it to a manual trans? Keep up the good work A+

Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MI1XFIRE
OH YEAH! That would be outa control! You'll really have to let us know how it ends up.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
can it bolt up to the NA engine or is it a complete part of the block?
The block design of the AMG engine is slightly different to accomodate that oil cooler. The connection points on the N/A engine do not exist... Just a suggestion, take a look at the Spearco Oil Coolers, they are an easy install and provide much better cooling... I'm fabbing-up a bracket that will mount a Spearco cooler right in front of the oil pans...

Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by MI1XFIRE
Derek
All I can say is WOW What class is that small mod going to put in and against what cars are you going to compete against?
I haven't looked into my re-class for NASA... I'll need to wait until the project is complete and a certified dyno conducted because engine swaps require NASA spec. dyno results and certified vehicle weight for re-classing. My guess is that I'll get re-classed from "D" to "A" which means I'll bascially be in the same boat I was with the N/A Crossfire, out powered by other cars in my class

As far as the 6 Spd transmission, I have not dropped my other engine yet to mate the tranny, but from all the conversations I have had with "the pros", the tranny will bolt right up, but needs a beefier clutch like the Spec Stage 4. Let's keep our fingers crossed that those people know what they're talking about and I don't end-up needing major modifications.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM

HDDP carries the banner for us all! LOL

Good stuff

Old 11-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by MAYAman
HDDP carries the banner for us all! LOL

Good stuff
Nope, I'm just stupid enough to rip the car apart and see what happens

Old 11-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 PM

Max, nice find but I gotta tell ya after having this engine torn down and seeing how it's built, there is some serious heat soak happening from the engine to the charge air cooler which is mounted below the SC inside the V of the engine block...

Without major retrofit, the only economical way I see to reduce the absorbed heat is to insulate it... Not to mention the PUNY thin walled coolant pipes...

I would love to sit here and speculate on what to do, but all I can do is do what I'm doing and see what happens...

PS: The exhaust manifold SUCKS TOO !!!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 PM

Here's what I was talking about with the exhaust ports... They are 1.5" oulet and need some serious honing... These are what they look like before I get my grinder to them...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0077.JPG (247.0 KB, 82 views)
IMG_0078.JPG (230.8 KB, 73 views)
IMG_0079.JPG (226.7 KB, 96 views)

Quick Reply: SRT6 Engine Transplant