Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

SRT6 Engine Transplant

Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: SRT6 Engine Transplant

By The Way, could you have imagined 1.5" exhaust ports ? No wonder this engine only makes 330 hp out of the box...

Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Derick I just want to say thank you for doing this even though you prolly are not doing this for us.. there is just so much we can learn from... from such a conversion

and yes about those exhaust manifolds.. yes they are horrible.. hopefully after your conversion you will have a seriously dangerous crossfire..

PS. All this recent talk about engine conversions and upping horsepower that has sprung up in the recent times makes me regret spending my project money on rims first(******* over $5000 with tires), and instead of the engine ,but I am damn sure I will get to it so i can roll with you guys

Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sidez
Derick I just want to say thank you for doing this even though you prolly are not doing this for us.. there is just so much we can learn from... from such a conversion

and yes about those exhaust manifolds.. yes they are horrible.. hopefully after your conversion you will have a seriously dangerous crossfire..

PS. (******* over $5000 with tires),
OUCH !

But don't regret anything... I'm going to be into this engine transplant over 10K before all is said and done... Not including my time... That is providing the manual tranny works... And the MOTEC M600 works !!!

This is a MESS

Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM

looks like another mercedes heat exchanger project going on over at MBworld
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213966

Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
By The Way, could you have imagined 1.5" exhaust ports ? No wonder this engine only makes 330 hp out of the box...
I think this is a decent size exhaust port, I would focus more on the intake valves first, as that is more important area to port than the exhaust side. don't screw up the casting by laying into it with a die grinder, you should do it with a cnc porting machine, otherwise your gonna F@#$ up a good set of heads

Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OUCH !

But don't regret anything... I'm going to be into this engine transplant over 10K before all is said and done... Not including my time... That is providing the manual tranny works... And the MOTEC M600 works !!!

This is a MESS
Fun being a pioneer isn't it? I have been trying to buy the parts right in case I end up having a giant garage sale.

How did Sidez get the F word to work? I can't even get ******* to work which isn't evena bad word?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lantana,

that word is not in the filter (surprisingly)...

Nice work guys. Keep it up.

SQ

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
looks like another mercedes heat exchanger project going on over at MBworld
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213966
He has a really sound idea by trying to chill the coolant... I can't agree more... The OEM system is a really weak design...

Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Fun being a pioneer isn't it? I have been trying to buy the parts right in case I end up having a giant garage sale.

How did Sidez get the F word to work? I can't even get ******* to work which isn't evena bad word?
It's all about the parenthesis' (S H I T) and spaces ... But we really don't need expletives for our posts unless we're talking about Chrysler Service

Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 AM

I think this is a decent size exhaust port, I would focus more on the intake valves first, as that is more important area to port than the exhaust side. don't screw up the casting by laying into it with a die grinder, you should do it with a cnc porting machine, otherwise your gonna F@#$ up a good set of heads
I'm not going HOG WILD on the exhaust ports right now... I do not want to take the engine down to bare parts yet... I'll probably breakdown the other N/A engine and send it to "Extrude Hone" after I get this one working...

First priority is to get this engine into the car, see if the manual transmission bolts-up. and getting the Motec installed and operating...

Old 11-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going HOG WILD on the exhaust ports right now... I do not want to take the engine down to bare parts yet... I'll probably breakdown the other N/A engine and send it to "Extrude Hone" after I get this one working...

First priority is to get this engine into the car, see if the manual transmission bolts-up. and getting the Motec installed and operating...
HDDP,

Any estimates on when you'll have it together and ready for testing/tuning?

When do you plan to stab the trans?

SQ

Old 11-02-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
HDDP,

Any estimates on when you'll have it together and ready for testing/tuning?

When do you plan to stab the trans?

SQ
Well, if the WGA writers strike happens on Monday, I'll be locked-out of work That means two things... I'll have lot's of time to finish the project and lots less money to finish the project... So, in answer to your question, I would safely say Jan 1 ...

Trust me, I'm as anxious to get this thing finished as many members are to hear the results of this FRANKENSTEIN experiment... The new NASA season begins in late February and I need at least a few track testing days prior...

The good thing is that I already have the new heat exchanger, fin tubing, IC pump, Schrick cams, Spec Clutch and built the wiring harness' for all the sensors... The bad thing is that I haven't purchased the MOTEC M600 yet, but Brian Sakata has it in his shop waiting for my measly $4,500

And GOD knows how long it will take him to make the engine work with the new computer...

Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 AM

Yo H, just for research purposes, what size is the throttle body on the srt6?
I was reading on some MBZ forum that the SL55 is 80mm. not sure if they are compatible with NA motors or blow srt6?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 PM

I was reading on some MBZ forum that the SL55 is 80mm. not sure if they are compatible with NA motors or blow srt6?
I just happened to have it sitting on my bench... Looks like 74mm ID on both sides...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0103.JPG (510.1 KB, 47 views)
IMG_0104.JPG (349.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by HDDP; 11-05-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM

BTW... This is what I originally signed on to post on the forum tonight... Here is the heat exchanger that I designed for the SRT6 engine... I, with the expertise of Gerhard Schruff of "BELL INTERCOOLERS"... It should be delivered in two weeks...

Attached Images
PN-HEX325064150025.jpg (438.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by HDDP; 11-05-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THat is a VRP after market throttle body that is 80mm... That is why you have to special order the 80mm CF box from him if you have vrus intake instead of the 70mm box. I believe the 55s are the same size as ours which is considered a 70 or a 75 i have heard both..

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 11-05-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
THat is a VRP after market throttle body that is 80mm... That is why you have to special order the 80mm CF box from him if you have vrus intake instead of the 70mm box. I believe the 55s are the same size as ours which is considered a 70 or a 75 i have heard both..
interesting, good to know. yet I wonder if there are any power gains with the VRS throttle body, I'm willing to bet that there is more flow restriction on the intake ports that the 80mm TB makes no difference.

Have you been able to find any flow numbers or dyno graphs from VRS?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

HDDP,

That looks like an awsome intercooler! I love the double-back flow route... it should really cool down the liquid.

Great job... keep it coming bro!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
HDDP,

That looks like an awsome intercooler! I love the double-back flow route... it should really cool down the liquid.

Great job... keep it coming bro!
The flow route will be from the new (ice tank) directly into the OEM charge air cooler, out to the Bell heat exchanger which will be located in front of the OEM radiator and then back to the tank... I still haven't determined where to locate the tank, but I have 12' of "fin tubing" coming from Cain Industries which is enough to put the tank anywhere in the car... Except, the Johnson pump has a limitation of three feet to maintain 6.9 gal. per min. It might turn-out that I'll need two pumps if I locate the tank in the cockpit... I've been trying to see if there is a way to relocate the inlet of the OEM charge air cooler to the rear, without cutting it open, this would allow a direct flow from the tank in the cockpit then out to the heat exchanger in the front...

Attached Images
IMG_0106.JPG (276.9 KB, 55 views)
IMG_0107.JPG (304.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 AM

interesting, good to know. yet I wonder if there are any power gains with the VRS throttle body, I'm willing to bet that there is more flow restriction on the intake ports that the 80mm TB makes no difference.

Have you been able to find any flow numbers or dyno graphs from VRS?
a 75 mm inlet at 100 mph airflow would be 1673.91 ft3/min CFM
a 80 mm inlet at 100 mph airflow would be 1904.54 ft3/min CFM

Fueling would have to be increased by a minimum of 2 % otherwise a lean state would occur and no hp gain would be realized... Unless you can manipulate the ECU to reduce AFR from it's pre-programmed state of 14.7:1 you are wasting your time and money...

But if you are capable of adjusting the fueling and timing maps, then this will definately result in a minor HP gain...

Last edited by HDDP; 11-05-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: SRT6 Engine Transplant