Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

No Throttle Response...at 70 mph...

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Throttle Response...at 70 mph...

Hello

I could use some help before I take this problem into the murky waters of my dealership. About two months ago I was driving the srt6 at 30 mph when suddenly there was be no throttle response. The engine was still on but the car just coasted. I pulled off the road, shut it off and restarted. Problem fixed, just a fluke. I was wrong. Two weeks later my wife was traveling at 70 mph and the same thing happened. Press the gas pedal and no power. She pulled it off the road and restarted. This time the check engine light stayed on for several days. I removed my sprint booster and reset the throttle. Seemed to be the answer. Wrong again. The non-responsive throttle reappeared during rush hour at 40-mph. Check engine light stayed on. This happens in all kinds of weather. Tomorrow I take it to the dealer, who already said he does have a clue as to what it could be. Any ideas so I can at least point them in the right direction? Thanks so much...

Paulius

Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: No Throttle Response...at 70 mph....

Have you checked for codes yet?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say IC pump failure, but you have the Johnosn Pump install....sure sounds like it though...any codes...
Damn just hit me...there is a sensor for the SC that can go bad...check the IC sensor...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 12-04-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM

When you say "No Throttle Response" do you mean NONE or just poor performance?

Poor performance could be the IC pump or the sensor as Doc mentioned.

NO throttle response could be the accelerator pedal sensor, throttle control motor, throttle position sensor or the power control module.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:54 AM

By the way I installed a Johnson Pump and it did not fix my IC over heating problem.
It wasn't until I moved the HE higher up into the air flow (thanks Woody) that my over heating problem was resolved.

This is only helpful if your problem is poor performance.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree w/ tighed1 on this one...good luck...may have to try the HE mod, that should be easy...

Old 12-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Default Re: No Throttle Response...at 70 mph...

Thanks for the ideas. I will have them checked out. Regarding the Johnson pump: would it cause my problem if the supercharger is not engaged? The throttle just stops working - no power at the peal- until the car is restarted. Even at 10 mph!

Paulius

Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by paulius
Thanks for the ideas. I will have them checked out. Regarding the Johnson pump: would it cause my problem if the supercharger is not engaged? The throttle just stops working - no power at the peal- until the car is restarted. Even at 10 mph!
Paulius
Bad pump will cause over temp where the supercharger will be dis-engaged by the computer. You will still have throttle control but with a LOT less power.

Sounds like you have...
NO throttle response could be the accelerator pedal sensor, throttle control motor, throttle position sensor or the power control module.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: No Throttle Response...at 70 mph...

If the intake air temp peaks the engine goes into a massive limp mode and you have nothing. You can do this b going out of gear while driving and you have to stop shut down and go again. You and every on else needs to get a code $30 reader to be able to drive this car.

NOT ALL CODES ARE CORRECT AND SOME ARE WRONG TELLING YOU THIS BUT IT IS THAT...............IT IS STILL A CODE AND I GOT THROTTLE FAULT CODES WHEN IT WAS A HIGH TEMP SHUT-DOWN. THIS IS HOW I GOT TO BE THE COOLING WIZARD OR IS THAT WIZZ?

GET A READER AND SMILE, ITS THE WEEKEND PARTE - - -HAS IT STRATED ALREAYD !@#** WODOY HIC!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM

So Waldig (and friends) are you saying you all agree my "NO THROTTLE" could be the IC pump failing? Why is the problem intermittent? I thought when a pump fails its all or nothing.

Paulius

PS I plan to enjoy my weekend no matter what....

Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 PM

My car has been in limp mode and I still had throttle control just poor performance (*kinda like driving a NA Crossfire).

If you have "NO throttle" response could be the accelerator pedal sensor, throttle control motor, throttle position sensor or the power control module.

Woody, sounds like your problem from this thread...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=25563

* just joking NA guys!

Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
My car has been in limp mode and I still had throttle control just poor performance (*kinda like driving a NA Crossfire).

If you have "NO throttle" response could be the accelerator pedal sensor, throttle control motor, throttle position sensor or the power control module.

Woody, sounds like your problem from this thread...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=25563

* just joking NA guys!
THanks for clarifying. I do not think this is a limp mode situation because one one ocassion the engine just stopped and all idiot lights lit up the dash. I've experienced limp mode (hence one reason for the Johnson pump install) I gave your suggestions to the mechanic. Lets hope he is open minded about considering others' ideas. I will stay in touch. I am grateful for the crossfire forum....

Paulius

Old 12-06-2008, 11:13 AM

And the winner is....THrottle control module. I sent your suggestions to the mechanic at my dealership and within a day he found the problem. Unfortunately I have to wait till Thursday for the part to arrive but I can live with that. Thanks again guys! If you are in my neck of the woods (stamford CT) send an email and the drinks are on me.

Paulius

Old 12-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tighed1

* just joking NA guys!
OUCH! It's all good though, if that SC kit ever gets done I will be able to know what your talking about...

Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by paulius
And the winner is....THrottle control module. I sent your suggestions to the mechanic at my dealership and within a day he found the problem. Unfortunately I have to wait till Thursday for the part to arrive but I can live with that. Thanks again guys! If you are in my neck of the woods (stamford CT) send an email and the drinks are on me.

Paulius
Damn, I'm back with a similiar problem. Three weeks after the throttle body was replaced, Sprint booster long removed, transmission fluid and seal replaced ( turns out there was a slow leak) I went into a massive "limp mode" today at the end of a 100 mile trip. When I restarted to pull the car into the driveway the engine shuddered as if it were about to stall. No power at the throttle. When I put it into drive it "limped' along at about 3 mph till I put it into the driveway. The engine bay smelled like burnt plastic. After 20 minutes I restarted and all was well ( besides the check engine light being on.) Anybody know of a mechanic near Stamford Ct that can handle a srt6? These guys at my dealership have no clue and I don't want the car to sit there for another two weeks.

Thanks

Paulius