Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

BEGi Turbo Kit information/discussion thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: BEGi Turbo Kit information/discussion thread

Originally Posted by bjames
I think JHM2K would be a good person to be our contact, he was our first prototype and has no vested interest since he crashed his car, so he could be neutral, and has been here since day one.
I'm honored and appreciative of the nomination, and would be qualified to lead the charge, but I agree 100% with Dave's sage advice below:

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Anyone else taking over would appear to be a bit presumptuous at least.
I've spoken with Corky on numerous occasions, through email and several phone calls. He used to play around with Nissan Motorsports in the 80's, so he and I had a common ground there with the shop talk.

Bob (LantanaTX) and I spent hours speaking with Corky regarding possible design iterations, but in the recent months BEGi has taken a different direction with the kit entirely. So there's not much in the way of 'residual' data that could be shared. And while my profession (Material Supply Analyst) is geared towards communication and OTD issues, this is a bit of a different nut to crack. There is a soft ETA involved, so any "are we there yet" nagging simply comes off as abrasive to the company. I think a vast majority of us agree that there is IMMENSE room for improvement in the communication department, but as long as the kit is eventually built, I guess that's all that matters, right?

On a side note, I extend an apology to those who had to endure the BS towards the end of the other turbo thread. Surrender is not part of my vocabulary, and pride on both accounts took the thread to the edge of the cliff. I should have had the maturity to ignore the troll, but that door swings both ways. It is what it is, and is water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. As Doc mentioned, I've met dozens of you guys in person, and you know the 'real' me. So that issue dies there.

The upcoming season should be an interesting one, I think we're going to see record numbers for the Limited Crossfires. And there will no doubt be some challenges, as the 6MT cars have yet to prove their endurance with an extra ~90 RWHP. 1-2 shift should be interesting under full throttle...

As for "when" the release of the turbo takes place, I couldn't be bothered. I just wish you guys (all of you) a seamless install and thousands of issue-free miles.

bjames -- my guesstimate of 285 (+/- 1) RWHP stands from the last thread, based on my conversations with Corky.

Good luck to all.

--John

Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Correct me if I'm missing something but I thought Tighed1 had his car as the prototype and being worked on. Anyone else taking over would appear to be a bit presumptuous at least. He is a level headed person, why not leave things the way they are.
Of all those involved in this surely he has the largest stake in the project.
Absolutely right and it was rude of me to forget that. Hope he is still talking to us and we haven't scared him off.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

And yes bjames.. I am further disappointed in the continued lack of updates. Unfortunately "we" as a small group have no leverage on this project that I can see.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
And yes bjames.. I am further disappointed in the continued lack of updates. Unfortunately "we" as a small group have no leverage on this project that I can see.
Whoa..Don't you dare move over to the light side..stay on the dark so I have someone to dispute. Don't worry, in about 8 to 10 weeks we may not need any further update or pictures

Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bjames
Whoa..Don't you dare move over to the light side..stay on the dark so I have someone to dispute. Don't worry, in about 8 to 10 weeks we may not need any further update or pictures
Paid in in full.. per the old thread. Don't see where it affects things unless its for a "for sale" sign.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

UPDATE

D.J.
Sorry about the pics. I’m doing my best to avoid you.
Not quite so, just haven’t stopped to take pictures.

Although I seem to have accomplished much in the last several weeks, I have felt lousy for a variety of reasons. Carpel tunnel has hit me a bit hard on both hands and I hope to finish all the piece making before the doc gets to me.
Has the CrossFire group ever mentioned problems with ground clearance? We are adding one inch to the bottom over about 70% of the wheel base. The low spot is about 1.4 down but is between the front wheels. This latter piece at least goes up when the front wheels do. That makes it less of a problem, except for debris on the road.
Just before we yank all things back apart, I’ll take a bunch of picture. We’ll take more with the pieces back from powder coat. I am generally reluctant to take too many pictures of uncoated tubes as they are a bit unsightly, but keep that in mind when first looking at them.

Regards to all,

Corky

Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 PM

Thank you DJ ! Stephanie might not have come through, but at least this keeps my candle from being snuffed out! Guess this means I can put off the quest for a dual cold air intake!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM

Well James it takes a big man to apologize, and I also must concede to stooping to childish responses. As I had mentioned before, my ABS/ESP is currently non functioning due to pump or sensor other than wheel. She still will fall on her face during a burnout at 4 - 4 1/2 grand rpm. Remember "burnout in my yard?" I'm going to put that on my agenda for tomorrow when I get home from work with the fuse pulled to see if she revs past that, and will report back.

Edit: And as a footnote, did you see my post of possibly making a harness and "sharing" the rear wheel sensors signal with the front wheel interface? I've really got a feeling that is what its going to take short of getting into the brains to disable. I'm fairly sure that RPM limiter is the computer saying no more based on lack of front wheel speed.
I may be completely off here, i don't have enough time at the moment to start reading the old thread. But if there is a problem with the 4.5k rev limit in neutral then couldn't we make a device that imitates the sped sensors? I'm not sure how it works on a auto, but on my 6 speed it seems that the 4.5k limit goes away after passing 5mph. So this device just has to send a constant 5mph to the ecu until you actually pass 5mph in the car, then it just lets the sensors do the work.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Has the CrossFire group ever mentioned problems with ground clearance? We are adding one inch to the bottom over about 70% of the wheel base.
This is really too bad. It is too bad that they did not choose to utilize the resources this forum has to offer, the dyno issue could have been immediately solved...

We also have been saying that ground clearance, especially on the lowered cars, which is most that are interested in the turbo, is a big issue. I am looking forward to seeing some pics, but with the delays and clearance issues, a V8 is looking better and better.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1 (on behalf of Corky)
Has the CrossFire group ever mentioned problems with ground clearance?
Yes, as I discussed with him that many of the Crossfires that will be utilizing this kit have a lowered suspension... And even at OE height, the kit needs to be as "tucked" as possible. This concern was also mentioned in the first thread on numerous occasions.

We are adding one inch to the bottom over about 70% of the wheel base.

The low spot is about 1.4 down but is between the front wheels. This latter piece at least goes up when the front wheels do.

Is the lowest piece attached to the suspension? Otherwise, when the shocks compress, the piece should actually be even lower to the ground...

This should get interesting.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM

I'm thinking "lowest point" is inline with front axle plane.. IE speed bump resistant from there..

Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 PM

I'm thinking "lowest point" is inline with front axle plane.. IE speed bump resistant from there..
Photos are uploaded @ BEGi site tnx to Steph link provided
http://www.bellengineering.net/article_info.php?articles_id=370

Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 PM

Guess when it looks hopeless.. just hang on one more day.. LOL

Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM

Just as a reminder people!!!!
Kits will be shipped in the order of deposits. However, all 10 kits will be built simultaneously.
Each kit must have an additional $2,000 prepayment. The prepayment is due when we begin construction of the ten kits.

The first ten kits shipped will be at a price of $3,600 plus freight. Various options will exist that can either add to or delete from this base price. This will be negotiated at the time of construction
V6 Kits:
  1. Tighed1 (First Prototype)
  2. mrmiata (Second Protype)
  3. Bri3D
  4. Bill00
  5. bjames
  6. JONCTOVAR I took this spot
  7. 2005 Ragtop
  8. sk8erjosh09
  9. Frankeyser
  10. Airscape
  11. steven 4190
  12. Guelph
  13. Crossfire6412
  14. XFactorXXL
  15. crosseduphwy101
  16. XF newbie
  17. Erzer (tenative)
  18. Xalidin (maybe)
  19. dtinker (possible)
  20. BoilerUpXfire (if needed)
V8 Kits
  1. LantanaTX - Corky will fit me in sometime after kit production begins
If changes need to be done to this just repost

Old 07-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it easy, Clicky link or see below

Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Yea pictures!
Told ya they were working on it!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Happy Days.... are here again....lol

Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I am looking forward to seeing some pics, but with the delays and clearance issues, a V8 is looking better and better.
Can you get a V8 conversion done for close to $3600?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayth
I don't think you could get it done for that but if you can do the wrench work it's just time, cost for the v8+ electronics (NA can be found at pretty good prices) and then cash for the programming/tuning. Prob in the same ballpark if you have the skills and tools already.

Last edited by Airscape; 07-31-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rayth
Nope can you get a Turbo for $3,600

Quick Reply: BEGi Turbo Kit information/discussion thread