Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Throttle Position Sensor?

Old 10-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor?

Alright, so the problem is when the pedal is pushed down the car will jerk quite often. From time to time it will even jerk once or twice, and shut down. All of the electronics will remain functional, but the engine is off. I've replaced the cps as someone informed me that may have been the issue.. well, it wasn't. Anyone had similar problem?

Old 10-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Throttle Position Sensor?

The TPS is integrated into the throttle body on Crossfires.
You can remove the black plastic cover and spray some electronics contact cleaner on the wiper fingers and the board while manually moving the butterfly back and forth.
You may have any number of problems :
gas pedal assembly
throttle body
fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel relay in the RCM module
intermittent electrical connection somewhere
You can monitor the fuel pressure at the test point on the injector rail, 55-60 PSI.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady517
Alright, so the problem is when the pedal is pushed down the car will jerk quite often. From time to time it will even jerk once or twice, and shut down. All of the electronics will remain functional, but the engine is off. I've replaced the cps as someone informed me that may have been the issue.. well, it wasn't. Anyone had similar problem?
Despite the jerking, can the car be driven at higher revs or is it unable to do anything beyond idling?

Old 10-20-2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Despite the jerking, can the car be driven at higher revs or is it unable to do anything beyond idling?
It can be driven at higher rpms

Old 10-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

It can be driven at higher rpms

It could be nothing more than a loose fitting from the air cleaner, or the CAI if you have one, to the TB.

Or the TB itself loose on the manifold intake.

Our cars are so technical sometimes we overlook simple. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-20-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
It could be nothing more than a loose fitting from the air cleaner, or the CAI if you have one, to the TB.

Or the TB itself loose on the manifold intake.

Our cars are so technical sometimes we overlook simple. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
So I ran the check engine light, and the crank position sensor, throttle position sensor, and an O2 sensor came up. Any idea where I can get a throttle sensor? My local auto parts stores don't carry them, and I have been unable to find one online for some reason. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

So I ran the check engine light, and the crank position sensor, throttle position sensor, and an O2 sensor came up. Any idea where I can get a throttle sensor? My local auto parts stores don't carry them, and I have been unable to find one online for some reason. Thanks for the suggestions.
Like many of the parts on cars these days they are replaced as a unit, so no TPS spares.
The CPS has been found to have a weakness in the fit to the connector that goes to it, also make sure you have a Bosch CPS as other have caused problems. Make sure the connector is a tight fit on the CPS and there is no problem with the connector.
One problem an cause multiple codes to be written, solve one and the others are solved miraculously.

The following users liked this post:
Nynick8 (10-22-2022)
Old 10-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Codes come because something in the programing doesn't come through right. it could be the sensor or just the program faults because "something didn't go right. Keep in mind the Sensors can only tell what "DIDN"T" happen as planned.

As 180 suggested one thing can produce several codes. I get a2 02 code when the car goes lean onece in a while. E light comes on and despite replacing that sensor I still get it.

But the interruption in the throttle could just as well be an intake leak as a sensor malfunction or an actuator malfunction. Before I replacing sensors and actuators, I simply suggest making sure the plumbing is patent. Sometime the sensor isn't wrong, it's just sensing something wrong.
Not theory or a guess. When my roadster does exactly what your symptoms suggest, I often find the CAI has a loose joint. So poke around the cheap and free solutions before you buy parts.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-20-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get a p122 code throttle position sensor when i start in the morning, I clear the code after start up and doesn’t bother for the rest of the day driving ?? Any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seafoam an WD-40 to start with..