Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

AC/Coolant/Radiator Combo HELP

Old 07-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC/Coolant/Radiator Combo HELP

Hey Guys,

My radiator had a leak. I ended up getting a new radiator, installed it as per spec and it seems to be working fine. The car runs, doesn't overheat (the temp gauge shows just a hair above center). Ran the car on day 2 and noticed the radiator light. I checked for coolant, and the coolant is full. I researched hundreds of pages of possible problems but I can't seem to narrow it down.

I turned on the ac and noticed the fan was running. But then I noticed the ac not cooling. Pulled over, checked the fan again and it turns out the fan is not running at all even with the ac on. Does this mean something that tells the fan when to run is defective?

Please help.

Thank You,

FJP

Old 07-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: AC/Coolant/Radiator Combo HELP

Originally Posted by Fjp3105
Hey Guys,

My radiator had a leak. I ended up getting a new radiator, installed it as per spec and it seems to be working fine. The car runs, doesn't overheat (the temp gauge shows just a hair above center). Ran the car on day 2 and noticed the radiator light. I checked for coolant, and the coolant is full. I researched hundreds of pages of possible problems but I can't seem to narrow it down.

I turned on the ac and noticed the fan was running. But then I noticed the ac not cooling. Pulled over, checked the fan again and it turns out the fan is not running at all even with the ac on. Does this mean something that tells the fan when to run is defective?

Please help.

Thank You,

FJP
I presume you did not forget to plug the fan in again.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 PM

So right after the install. The first day. I did notice the fan was running under normal conditions. Example Run ac, fan operates. Car heats, fan operates.

However the fan as of right now was not running even while the ac was on.

I did check the connection. Plugged in.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:33 PM

To add to the confusion, the ac only operates at one fan speed. It isn't cooling, and while this problem occurs, the fan on the radiator is not spinning. I don't know if any of this is related. But I thought it's worth mentioning.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM

To add to the confusion, the ac only operates at one fan speed. It isn't cooling, and while this problem occurs, the fan on the radiator is not spinning. I don't know if any of this is related. But I thought it's worth mentioning.
No radiator fan = no AC.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
No radiator fan = no AC.
Okay perfect so thats my first step.

Is it fair to say:

No radiator fan = on/off Radiator light?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 PM

UPDATE: The fan turns on sometimes and sometimes it does not. When the car was idling for 10 mins the temperature jumped to full hot. But because the fan kicks in once in a while I'm confused if its something other than the fan itself.

Someone please help!

Cheers!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Sounds like a bad Fan Control Module.

or..
A bad fan motor
or..
no power to the Fan Control Module.

Keep driving the car without the fan working and you will have way worse issues.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Sounds like a bad Fan Control Module.

or..
A bad fan motor
or..
no power to the Fan Control Module.

Keep driving the car without the fan working and you will have way worse issues.

Noted! Thank You! The car is parked back into the garage, and I just ordered a new fan. Hoping to install that as soon as it arrives and see if I have any success. Definitely guess work since I haven't isolated the problem. But I think its a safe bet, seeing as my fan makes squeaking noises while running at low speeds anyway.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I am not familiar with the fan controller, but I would start diagnosing there. See if it is getting a signal to turn fan on. There should be information somewhere on this forum or in the manual to explain the works. When the fan is not turning but supposed to be, can you spin it to start?

James

Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 PM

UPDATE: The fan turns on sometimes and sometimes it does not. When the car was idling for 10 mins the temperature jumped to full hot. But because the fan kicks in once in a while I'm confused if its something other than the fan itself.

Someone please help!

Cheers!
Full hot? What is that, needle at max or in the middle.
To cool the car the fan does not run all the time. It will run more when the car is stationary. When the car moves the rad is cooled by the air going through the core so no fan is required a lot of the time.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:24 AM

Full hot? What is that, needle at max or in the middle.
To cool the car the fan does not run all the time. It will run more when the car is stationary. When the car moves the rad is cooled by the air going through the core so no fan is required a lot of the time.

The needle climbed to max... top of the spectrum.. H as soon as the car was parked and idling for 10 mins after driving to the store and back. Which means the fan was running earlier but decided at some point to stop running, even though it should have been.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:06 PM

The needle climbed to max... top of the spectrum.. H as soon as the car was parked and idling for 10 mins after driving to the store and back. Which means the fan was running earlier but decided at some point to stop running, even though it should have been.
As I said in my previous post the movement of air through the rad as you drive is often enough to dissipate the heat from the engine. When you are stationary there is little heat lost through the radiator.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:49 PM

As I said in my previous post the movement of air through the rad as you drive is often enough to dissipate the heat from the engine. When you are stationary there is little heat lost through the radiator.
Correct! I understand that. Which means the fan is either defective or something that tells the fan when and how to operate is defective. Since I can’t isolate that, I am proceeding by replacing the fan first. However, if anyone has any better solution, I’d love to explore it!

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You should be able to wire 12v directly from the battery to the fan connector. Believe me, you will know right away if the fan is OK.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You should be able to wire 12v directly from the battery to the fan connector. Believe me, you will know right away if the fan is OK.

what exactly is supposed to happen? The fan spins like it’s going to take off? It already does that. I know it spins. It just spins at its own discretion.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 AM

Then there is nothing wrong with the fan, it has no intelligence, all it does is spin when voltage is applied.
I think you had best try a fan control module or engine temperature sensor.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:24 PM

Then there is nothing wrong with the fan, it has no intelligence, all it does is spin when voltage is applied.
I think you had best try a fan control module or engine temperature sensor.
youre probably right about the fan. Dropped a new fan in. Worked perfect for a 10 min test ride. Got back and parked, fan sounds like a helicopter. At least it’s not heating up. Then shut it off, started the car back up, fan doesn’t turn on, and if and when it does. It sounds like a helicopter again.... then it slowed back down. So it appears to be working but not 100% when and how it’s supposed to. (The rad light is on and off intermittently throughout)

Where do I locate the temp sensor? And is the module the little box next to the fan where the power for the fan comes from?

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2018, 08:01 PM

Yes, the fan control module is the thingey at the other end of the fan power cable.
The temp sensor is part #14 :

Old 07-15-2018, 01:42 AM

Yes, the fan control module is the thingey at the other end of the fan power cable.
The temp sensor is part #14 :
Awesome info!

Thank you. So after some thought. I'm guessing it's probably the module. Since the coolant temp sensor seems to be correctly determining that the temps. It tells me when its cool and it tells me when its too hot. I am guessing it is the modules job to take that temperature info and operate the fan with based on it. ?!?!

Quick Reply: AC/Coolant/Radiator Combo HELP