Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

What diagnostic scanner to buy?

Old 11-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default What diagnostic scanner to buy?

In my quest to learn as much about the 2004 Crossfire I am looking to purchase this weekend, I would like to know what scanners the gearheads have in their shops for the Crossfire.

I'm a mechanic and plan on doing all of my own maintenance and repairs, and am looking for a scanner that can access all systems and clear any codes that potentially pop up and need to be cleared after repairs.

The more affordable the better of course!!

Jared

Old 11-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: What diagnostic scanner to buy?

A pretty good compromise is the Launch CRP123, about $150

Old 11-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Before your buy one f these, read the Skreem thread

Old 11-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ttmmdd
Before your buy one f these, read the Skreem thread
Which thread specifically? There are quite a few threads that mention Skreem. Post a link for me???

Thanks, Jared

Old 11-15-2019, 03:31 PM

The one that tells you that the skreem can die at any time no matter what you do, you can't get a replacement. and without it your car is worthless. Which thread any thread for the skreem. save your money and buy and old corvette.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Forum Regular

The one that tells you that the skreem can die at any time no matter what you do, you can't get a replacement. and without it your car is worthless. Which thread any thread for the skreem. save your money and buy and old corvette.
I already own a C4 Convertible Vette...….

As they say in the Dentists Office...….. NEXT!!

I try not to entertain hypotheticals...… and the hypothetical future failure of a part is not going to deter me from a potential purchase. However, if this was a problem that plagued every single car, then I would think twice. From my very limited research, it seems to be hit or miss.

Thanks, Jared

Old 11-15-2019, 03:45 PM

You're right. there are many of these cars that get 200,000 miles. I've got one and I love the way it looks and drives. I've had several corvettes and they were too heavy and not as fast as one would hope. This is a disgusting time for a crossfire owner but maybe that's the time to buy. The fix will come when someone figures out how to hack the engine control module into thinking its happy all the time. No one knows what percentage of the Skreems go bad or what causes them to do so. I bought mine while I was ignorant of all these facts; I just wanted to make you aware that there are issues that, at this time, are out of our control.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
In my quest to learn as much about the 2004 Crossfire I am looking to purchase this weekend, I would like to know what scanners the gearheads have in their shops for the Crossfire.

I'm a mechanic and plan on doing all of my own maintenance and repairs, and am looking for a scanner that can access all systems and clear any codes that potentially pop up and need to be cleared after repairs.

The more affordable the better of course!!

Jared
Hello
I have a Innvoa 3160G works great for me. You will love your new Crossfire , enjoy!

Old 11-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Jeez you are a panicky Pete, the only ones screaming are those whose SKREEM has gone south, you forget the majority of people with no troubles as yet.
There are those of us with more than one key and a spare SKREEM and a car that has been cared for by its previous owners.
If you go to a hospital you are bound to see people with varying degrees of health problems, likewise many on this forum write about their car woes, big and small. We see more about the SKREEM lately though, many posts going nowhere but some that offer a glimmer of hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but you only see a train coming toward you.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Forum Regular

You're right. there are many of these cars that get 200,000 miles. I've got one and I love the way it looks and drives. I've had several corvettes and they were too heavy and not as fast as one would hope. This is a disgusting time for a crossfire owner but maybe that's the time to buy. The fix will come when someone figures out how to hack the engine control module into thinking its happy all the time. No one knows what percentage of the Skreems go bad or what causes them to do so. I bought mine while I was ignorant of all these facts; I just wanted to make you aware that there are issues that, at this time, are out of our control.
Trust me, I have done a lot of searching and reading of the problems that these cars can have.

It's like anything else though, you can't let a hypothetical make you nervous.

Just can't help the fact that I love the timeless exterior styling and can't wait to drive the car I'm looking at. Financing is all set up and as long as it doesn't burst into flames on the test drive, it's coming home with me. Even my wife is excited about it. She likes quirky cars too..... but not the same ones I like... She likes Pacers and Chevettes and Subaru Brats, etc.

Thanks for the ideas on the scanners guys, if anyone else is using something not mentioned, let me know. It would be great to have a few to compare.

Jared

Old 11-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I second ala_xfire's recommendation for the Launch CRP123. I have the Launch X431 Creader VII+ which is essentially the same. Bought from Amazon on sale for $124. Clearly it's not a factory level scanner but it does a lot like airbag light resets.

I recently bought my third Crossfire. They have been very reliable fun cars. I'm not panicking about the SKREEM and Keys, but certainly understand the pain for those few that have been impacted.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Forum Regular

I decided on the Launch CRP129X.

Haven't got a chance to plug it into the car yet, but it looks great and had rave reviews online!!

Thanks for the recommendations!!

Jared