Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

12 volt hot wire?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 volt hot wire?

Does anybody have an idea where a 12 volt hot wire is on the roadster that I could tap into to power an illuminated wind restrictor? I don't want to use the recommended tail or brake light connection as I want to control (using a switch) the ability to turn the leds on the wind restrictor "off" or "on" as I choose.

I want to make the tap on the driver's side, just above the rear wheel well if possible. There are a number of wires in bundles above the wheel well and one of them ought to work, but which one, I have no idea as I don't have a Crossfire wiring diagram.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Default Re: 12 volt hot wire?

Do you own a voltmeter?

If so then attach a sewing needle (thinner the better) to one of the leads and just pierce through 1 WIRE AT A TIME until you find a 12v supply. You can just use a little silicone to re-seal the pinhole.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:31 PM

apkano is exactly correct. I used the same meothed and tapped into the rear side lights. That harness runs on the passenger side of the car, look in the Crossfire service manual, section 8W 51-2 (BL/BR wire).

Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
Do you own a voltmeter?

If so then attach a sewing needle (thinner the better) to one of the leads and just pierce through 1 WIRE AT A TIME until you find a 12v supply. You can just use a little silicone to re-seal the pinhole.
Apkano...Brilliant idea !!! I am looking for info on which wire is a 12V switched hot wire in the left windshield pillar. I want to hardwire my radar detector to a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on.
I read and posted this from another thread as well:

Originally Posted by FarbenKiber

For an '05 ROADSTER in the driver's side windshield pillar, the tan wire with green bands is a switched 12V line.

After I knew that, I followed an excellent FAQ on radar detector install from this thread:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ead.php?t=4549

Does anyone know if this same wire is the switched 12V line in a 04 Coupe ??

Last edited by Valk; 12-27-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 PM

gary.....in looking at the wiring schematics for a 2004.......(I'm guessing these wires will be in the a pillars, either drivers side or passenger)...there should be a RD/GY (red wire with a gray stripe) as a power lead to the dome lamp......this should be hot at all times. If not...look for a BR/YL (brown with yellow stripe).

The solid brown wire should be ground!

Be sure to double check these with a voltmeter! Be ABSOLUTELY SURE TO RE-SEAL ANY WIRE YOU PIERCE WITH SILICONE! If you don't re-seal the pierced wires, they will degrade at a very enhanced rate! Any type of silicone sealent will work!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:45 PM

I have a ground already on the chassis near the fuse panel inside the drivers door.What I need to know is which one of the 5 thin wires in my left pillar is hot ONLY when the ignition is on and NOT all the time. I have accessed the wires but have not tested them yet. Trying to avoid poking into any of them until I am sure which on is ignition activated.

This was another post I found but for an 05 roadster. I don't know if the wires are the same:

Originally Posted by FarbenKiber
For an '05 ROADSTER in the driver's side windshield pillar, the tan wire with green bands is a switched 12V line.

Last edited by Valk; 12-27-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 PM

I would think that ANY wires going up the A-pillar are going to be hot all the time. There's no reason to go up to the roof of the car unless it's for a dome light or something similar....unfortunately they are hot even with the key off.

The exception would be the garage door opener......which I don't remember at the time! Sorry, I'm in Oakville Canada right now, and away from my home computer and my service manual!

Maybe another member can look up the power feed to the garage door opener....I know it's a switchable power line, ie. only on when the key is in the "on" position!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:15 PM

the garage door opener wire

Yup that's exactly the one I need to identify. Thanks for your responses to this question. I will get the answer here eventually or else I will use the needle trick and silicone the wires afterwords. Thanks again and get back home safely. Gary

Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by apkano

Maybe another member can look up the power feed to the garage door opener....I know it's a switchable power line, ie. only on when the key is in the "on" position!
04 Coupe
Anyone know which color wire this is ??
It is one of the five wires in the left pillar.
Link provides a viewpoint:

http://www.dfwsbr.com/crossfire/faq/radar/

Last edited by Valk; 12-27-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:40 PM

OK HERE IS SOME USEFUL INFORMATION: UPDATED

See the link below to see where to access this and illustrations on how to.
http://www.dfwsbr.com/crossfire/faq/radar/

There are 6 wires of different colors.
The one that has the green stripes around it is the "SWITCHED WIRE" which means it only has 12V power going through it when the ignition is switched" to "ON/RUN".
This is ideal for direct wiring radar detectors. You can then connect the ground wire to the bolt in the chassis down beside the fuse panel just inside the drivers door. Be sure to scrape away the paint where the wire is connected.
You need to pull back the trim strip inside the door (photo 4 shown in link)

Last edited by Valk; 12-31-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for all of the advice and help in finding a hot 12V wire to splice into to illuminate my Windrestrictor.

I found a wire to use (using the suggested pin and voltmeter approach described above) over the driver's side wheel well by gaining access with the soft top open (gotta watch this though as the top will begin to close after some point in time). If anyone needs the color code on the wire, let me know and I can check out the wire and provide more information. There is also a ground tie point at the same location, so it is a pretty easy wiring task.

I will tell you accessing the tail lights isn't easy. Getting the three pop-out panel retainers to gain access is a real bear. Now that I have them removed, I'm going to leave them off as the panel seems to hold in place just fine with the one screw in retainer. I didn't need to get into the tail light area, but curiosity got the better of me, and so I had to do it.