Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Fog Lights Not Working

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights Not Working

Fog lights stopped working... at first it was a fuse.. replaced it, they worked for a few days and now they won't come on at all... I haven't used a test light yet to see if they are getting power but the fuse seems to be good. I was told it was the headlight switch... DOES anyone have a used one for sale... I"m not paying 300.00 for a head light switch. I was thinking of having a mechanic splice into my low beam lights so my fog lights would be on when I run low beams...
Any suggestions? Help will be appreciated...
ALSO turning the car into the body shop on Monday... she's getting a brand new coat of paint... Saphire Silver Blue metallic... the clear is peeling off my hood from a accident before I purchased the car and a door ding from a BILO's shopping cart.. so I"m getting the entire car repainted with PPG basecoat clearcoat....

Thanks everyone... JIM

Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Fog Lights Not Working

You really need to have the problem diagnosed properly before replacing parts. If you decide to go the "splice" route, I would use a relay to keep the electrical draw to a minimum. Also this route may cause the "light out" on the dash to come on.

James

Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 PM

I haven't had time to do it myself yet.. but I was going to check to see if there is any current to the foglights before I do anything... I actually believe the light out indicator does come on when I pull on the fog lights...I don't think both bulbs would blow at the same time but who knows... .. I work 2 jobs so its hard to get time to actually spend a little quality time on checking it out...
Problem #2 someone replaced the factory Alpine stereo with a cheap Pioneer.. I bought a used factory cd/am/fm alpine unit on Ebay, went to install it and its missing the plug I guess for the amplilfier.... it has a aftermarket amp in the back cargo area.. I'd really like to put the factory radio back in it... been looking for a wrecked Crossfire to see if I can get the harness from it..
GETTING IT REPAINTED NEXT WEEK... WILL POST PICS WHEN ITS COMPLETE MY BODY MAN WANTS TO PAINT THE GRILL INSERT ALSO, HE SAYS HE THINKS IT WILL LOOK GOOD ... HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN ONE PAINTED? NOT SURE I WANT TO GO THAT ROUTE...

Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Two different user names?

Anyway, about the grille, some colors it works, others it don't. Personally if I had the grille painted, I would leave the leading silver edges in place.

James

Originally Posted by Carolinacruizer
GETTING IT REPAINTED NEXT WEEK... WILL POST PICS WHEN ITS COMPLETE MY BODY MAN WANTS TO PAINT THE GRILL INSERT ALSO, HE SAYS HE THINKS IT WILL LOOK GOOD ... HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN ONE PAINTED? NOT SURE I WANT TO GO THAT ROUTE...

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 544 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolinacruizer
I haven't had time to do it myself yet.. but I was going to check to see if there is any current to the foglights before I do anything... I actually believe the light out indicator does come on when I pull on the fog lights...I don't think both bulbs would blow at the same time but who knows... .. I work 2 jobs so its hard to get time to actually spend a little quality time on checking it out...
Problem #2 someone replaced the factory Alpine stereo with a cheap Pioneer.. I bought a used factory cd/am/fm alpine unit on Ebay, went to install it and its missing the plug I guess for the amplilfier.... it has a aftermarket amp in the back cargo area.. I'd really like to put the factory radio back in it... been looking for a wrecked Crossfire to see if I can get the harness from it..
The Crossfire came with a Becker/Infinity radio. The OEM amp is under the passengers feet. Are you on the correct forum or lost in cyber space? (That's a joke)
PS
I just read your earlier posts and they cleared up some questions and opened up others.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-21-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 PM

I don't know what I was thinking when I said it was a Alpine... I knew it was the Infinity, I bought one they guy took out of his car and had been in storage for 4 years...it looks brand new... I did look at the amp under the floor mat and I can see where they have cut/spliced into the wires at the amp and I guess ran to the Alpine Amp in the back.. but where you connect the plug ins into the radio there iis only one connector and the radio had a place for 2 connectors... so I imagine the previous owner trashed the other connector... I was just wondering if Radio Shack and somehow connect everything back like original...

PS the car is Sapphire SIlver Blue... I think I will let him paint the grill but leave the trim the original color. I will post pics when its completed.. I think I will also get him to paint the engine cover..

oh yeah....one more thing.....2 names is because I had forgotten the original password and I think aol doesn't allow me to connect, when I would use the reset password, i would get the error messagee that I am not logged in... so therefore I re-registered...sorry for the confusion... Im using IE now to view the website