Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

$5 Dollar Front Lip

Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: $5 Dollar Front Lip

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
It all depends on how rough the starting surface is and how good you want it to look. For most parts intended to be finished and painted, a 320 grit SP will marr the surface terribly and require you to do much more work. I would start with at least a 600 and work to a 3K, but again, it depends on how good the original finish is....
the surface is real smooth but they whant you to use epoxy primer wich is heavy

Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old man
the surface is real smooth but they whant you to use epoxy primer wich is heavy
Not saying this is not a possible solution for us, but I am beginning to see why it was $40...

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

took mine to a body man an it looks like a no go not enough area for the tape to adhere to i would anybody thats going to try it dont waste money on paint first
Hold your lip.. watching some youtube videos on mounting, and I'm going to take home some 14 and 16 ga. steel strips about 1" wide to work with this weekend. No reason in the world a bracket couldn't be ran from the bottom of our bumper (taped or screwed - yet to be determined) and do a drill and rivet to the inner edge of the lip. Should make a solid mount across the open area of the spoiler. If it has to be an offset bracket I'll copy a cad image with the configuration.

And from what I've seen you do start with a rough grade and work to smoother on the sandpaper..thank God for electric sanders.. LOL.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Not saying this is not a possible solution for us, but I am beginning to see why it was $40...
So I guess the $250.00 rear diffusers were "hit with duplicolor" and mount? No prep involved for those who painted them?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i still think it will work on the crossfire to bad we are so far apart to work on this together Mrmiata

Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM

i still think it will work on the crossfire to bad we are so far apart to work on this together Mrmiata
I hear ya.. would love to have a crossfire enthusiast to work on projects with..Got a mini CCTV mount to get the radar detector off the windshield and to the mirror ($4)..1/2 way to some rear diffusers ($60).. But like I've said.. that lip fits too good around the nose not to be able to work. Not the best of weather forecasted for the weekend but not really a concern now.. time to finish out this getting mounted. Been with the wife 10 years now and still have her bedroom furniture in the garage.. might be a good day for a bonfire and putting the crossfire in.. lol. Right now just trying to decide whether to tape the brackets to the bumper or screw mount. Really thinking tape as it would break away should a curb be met where a screw is going to be a different story. Planning on starting with tape and do an 80 mph run and check and go from there. I did notice the "XXX-fire" style for $37 bucks 99-00 Honda on ebay..lol.. kinda like the open ducts.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Experts?

Screws? Double sided tape? Phooey.

Duct tape, solves most things and silicone caulking solves the rest.

Get with the program guys. Didn't you ever see Red Green?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSDZJSKiVI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgS4...eature=related

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-09-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Experts?

Screws? Double sided tape? Phooey.

Duct tape, solves most things and silicone caulking solves the rest.

Get with the program guys. Didn't you ever see Red Green?
Why do I have the feeling there's been a partnership formed... marketing and distribution by XXX-180 LLC ?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 AM

Did I just find the next upcoming release from XXX-180 LLC?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
So I guess the $250.00 rear diffusers were "hit with duplicolor" and mount? No prep involved for those who painted them?
I hear you but there are some differences. First, you did not have to paint the diffusers, they looked good as they came, as evidenced by the fact that many have not painted them and with this front lip, you would need to paint it for sure or it would stick out like a sore thumb. Second, to prep the diffusers, you sand, degrease, and paint - with that front lip, you need to add several more time consuming steps and materials such as epoxy primer (messy stuff). Lastly, the diffusers FIT, like OEM factory fit because they were made by Daimler-Chrysler, the cheaper Chinese copies they have produced since do not fit well at all.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but by the time you have all this time and money invested into forcing a slip on to work, you could have bought an SRT front end with OEM fitment and have it look awesome and not have any screws in your bumper or worry about this thing flying off at 140 MPH. If someone made a lip for the XF that was like this, but a direct fit for between $50-$125 it would sell all day.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 AM

I hear you but there are some differences. First, you did not have to paint the diffusers, they looked good as they came, as evidenced by the fact that many have not painted them and with this front lip, you would need to paint it for sure or it would stick out like a sore thumb. Second, to prep the diffusers, you sand, degrease, and paint - with that front lip, you need to add several more time consuming steps and materials such as epoxy primer (messy stuff). Lastly, the diffusers FIT, like OEM factory fit because they were made by Daimler-Chrysler, the cheaper Chinese copies they have produced since do not fit well at all.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but by the time you have all this time and money invested into forcing a slip on to work, you could have bought an SRT front end with OEM fitment and have it look awesome and not have any screws in your bumper or worry about this thing flying off at 140 MPH. If someone made a lip for the XF that was like this, but a direct fit for between $50-$125 it would sell all day.
It's going to take a whole lot more than a hand full of "na-sayers" to rain on my parade with this. I seem to remember a thread on the grid work and elbow screen on the intake ...

@ 250 bucks those should be painted and installed.. and the sloppy fitting copies at that price are just looking to piggy back in on the OEM price and popularity.

SRT bumper cover.. um.. $350 neighborhood isn't it?.. don't think thats OEM paint color matched either is it? So now your price is what..

I don't have a problem spending time tinkering with my car when time affords it.. kinda enjoyable to step back and say " I did that".. Kinda like adding the rear wing to my Miata.. taking the time to lay it out perfect for DRILLING HOLES in my deck lid and stepping back to notice exact alignments in wing and body lines.. just a little "proud" moment.. not hauled in and paying an "expert" to do it for me.
Some people do like to run in different packs too..

Old 02-09-2012, 11:39 AM

Oh.. and if someone got stuck with a black crossfire.. well a final polish on the lip would probably suffice..

Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

SRT bumper cover.. um.. $350 neighborhood isn't it?.. don't think thats OEM paint color matched either is it?
Total cost for me to purchase the SRT front cover, ship, paint, remove old bumper and install new painted one was $700 after it was all said and done.

Looked fantastic until that Pacifica jumped out in front of me

Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Oh.. and if someone got stuck with a black crossfire.. well a final polish on the lip would probably suffice..
A polished black Crossfire looks like a million bucks, lip or no lip.

Some of those lips I have seen remind me of the seal on the bottom of my garage doors. They are nailed on, does that seem like an idea you can use.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Anybody else thinking about trying this please save your money..

THERE'S ENOUGH FREE LIP IN HERE FOR 20 CROSSFIRES!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM

not hauled in and paying an "expert" to do it for me.
Some people do like to run in different packs too..
You are right, I will just sit here with my stock XF and keep my mouth shut.

Stick around a while longer and you will see why I posted my comments, and from someone who obviously has NO experience paiting cars, it is funny you are now an expert in delivering finished, painted products

I have seen how this works out. I will respectfully not post in this thread again.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM

You are right, I will just sit here with my stock XF and keep my mouth shut.

Stick around a while longer and you will see why I posted my comments, and from someone who obviously has NO experience paiting cars, it is funny you are now an expert in delivering finished, painted products

I have seen how this works out. I will respectfully not post in this thread again.
Here let me clarify.. guess you missed the little razz and wink smiley faces... THEY MEAN DON'T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A WAD.. there.. now that that's over..

Maybe I should just sit back and waite on your great creation that benifits all?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 PM

Tag light lenses maybe? With an order for 10 sets I could get them to you for $10 bucks shipped..putting at least a buck 50 in my pocket for every set..

But I'm sure you already have the resource on that..

Old 02-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Here let me clarify.. guess you missed the little razz and wink smiley faces... THEY MEAN DON'T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A WAD.. there.. now that that's over..

Maybe I should just sit back and waite on your great creation that benifits all?
My panties are not in a wad, but it PISSES me off when some ******* comes in here thinking he can produce a finished product that has NO experience with these items.

I have personally helped hundreds of people on the forum, whether it is sending a free part, talking them through something on a phone call, painting something in the body shop for them, driving 50+ miles to check out a potential car for someone, or anything else. I am going to go out on a limb and say you have not done any of these things so keep your mouth shut about great contributions to the forum. Also, when your 'great contribution' requires screws and uses 320 grit SP, I am sure it will be show ready

Have a little respect for those that have been there and done that and provided most of the info on this forum that you take for granted, I was trying to offer constructive criticism until your mouth got the better of you and you started spewing verbal diarrhea...

Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Total cost for me to purchase the SRT front cover, ship, paint, remove old bumper and install new painted one was $700 after it was all said and done.

Looked fantastic until that Pacifica jumped out in front of me
Remember just because one Pacifica was bad not all are - Don't be profiling Just teasing, I hope you know.

Quick Reply: $5 Dollar Front Lip